“Three nights in May” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Three nights in May”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Large hotel, lovely reception and bar areas. Polite staff. Room clean, ordinary decor and furniture, good shower. indoor pool with sliding doors to patio with sun beds very nice. One day the room was not serviced by the time we returned at 5pm. Not the end of the world but not great for this type of hotel. €21 each for breakfast and there were four of us so we stepped outside and a few doors away was a spotless little cafe. Four really excellent coffees and mixture of six pastries/muffins for €8 in total!!!! Money saved was soon spent on famous Pastéis de Belém The best thing about this hotel was the location. Minute walk from Train/Underground station (which incidentally has a cafe that opens on Sunday when the lovely cafe was shut and the same there cost even less). Trains, underground and taxis were really really cheap. We had a great deal at this hotel so that would bring me back to stay rather than the hotel itself.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reuben M, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Lisbon, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding your stay at the Corinthia Hotel Lisbon.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us.

Your comments regarding the room are duly noted and shared with the management team.

We were very surprised to read the price you indicate for the breakfast as the value is 18€.Please do let us know if you had a different information from a third part.

Email: reuben.mifsud@corinthia.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
abergavenny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Great staff, comfy bed, and plenty of choice at breakfast. Did not have time to go to the pool, but did go and have a look. Maybe next time.
If you get there by metro and get off at the zoo stop. When you come up the escalator, go straight ahead and the hotel is to the left around the corner. Also when buying a ticket from the machine for the metro,be wary of non metro employee offering to help. They want money. It is easy and there are official employees around to help. The metro is very easy to use and we always felt very safe. If you get a metro card, take a plastic wallet to put in (like the one you get given when buy train tickets in the uk) as it is not very thick and if slightly bent will not work, so it needs some protection. You can get the metro from the airport, and a single only cost 1.45e and will get you anywhere on the metro system. Just bought a card and loaded money onto it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maxAbergavenny
Reuben M, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Lisbon, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing you experience at Corinthia Hotel Lisbon.

It is always very nice to hear that our guests enjoyed the stay. We hope that the next time you visit us you have the opportunity to experience the pool.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have just come back from a 5 night stay with my boyfriend, and we were both very impressed by the hotel! We stayed in a standard room and this was a good sized room with comfortable beds, a TV and a mini bar. The room was cleaned every day to a high standard, and the rest of the hotel was clean and modern. We didn't try the restaurants so I can’t comment on the food but we ordered room service on the night we arrived as it was about 2 in the morning (we ordered pizza, it was nice!) The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is a little out of the ‘centre’ of town, although there is a metro station only a couple of minutes walk away. The metro’s were regular and it only took us 10 or so minutes to reach Baixa-Chiado.
Overall I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to my friends!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us.

I am delighted that you liked all aspects of your stay from the hotel itself to the staff. It is rewarding to hear that you were impressed by the hotel and that you found the staff friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a future opportunity.

Best regards,

New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a great hotel! I am Portuguese and go every summer. I stay in different hotels during some point of the trip to be closer to family and enjoy some of the Lisbon sites. I loved this one!!! The food was great with a nice variety and display! The rooms are amazing. The staff was very helpful. The decor was beautiful. I loved the outside sitting area for drinks. I wouldn't hesitate on booking this hotel. If it fits your budget you wont be sorry. I absolutely loved it and the day I stated was complete chaos for the hotel as there was a bad storm in NY and many flights were cancelled. They were still very helpful and I didn't feel like they were overwhelmed. A def thumbs up in Lisbon in my opinion ... and I am a tough New Yorker to please :-) Def stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on us and for preferring Corinthia Hotel for your stay in Lisbon.

We do have a very dedicated team who pride themselves on the high level of service provided for our guests and it is very rewarding to get recognition like this. I have passed your very kind words to one and all.

Thank you for trusting Corinthia and we look forward to welcoming you again in a near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I had booked this hotel as a post birthday break for myself and a friend; who had never visited Lisbon.
The day of arrival was badly chosen (by me), as it coincided with Benfica playing an important Europa League fixture against Juventus, which led to the taxi from the airport to the hotel being caught up in traffic and costing €21 (including tip) which is about double the usual fare.
Check in was not the expected simplicity. We had a room only booking, for a twin-bedded room; but there seemed to be a problem finding a room which had two beds. An offer on breakfast tempted us, as it was reduced to €15 per head per night.
We got to our well appointed 4th floor room, after working out the bizarre system of the lifts.
After unpacking we decided to head out for some food. There is quite a good little selection of restaurants close to the hotel. We opted for the Italian to the right of the hotel, which was good, serving good pizzas and pasta. There is also a Portuguese restaurant slightly closer, and Sete Mares across the road.
It was when we returned after dinner and switched on the lights in the room, that we became aware of the layers of dust. Not one days worth, but at least three.
In the morning I spoke to reception and was assured that the problem would be resolved, and we would be given the hotel's VIP treatment (a bottle of water and a plate of fruit). Fair enough!
The problem was that the attempt at cleaning was at best perfunctory. There were still areas of untouched dust, especially around the bedside lamp. I mentioned this again to the receptionist on the following morning, but there was no improvement throughout our stay. This took the edge off of our experience.
Breakfast at the hotel was good in terms of the wide ranging and well prepared food. There were odd issues, such as the difficulty in finding condiments, and acquiring clean cutlery after using that provided, which we found to be a strange lapse for a five star hotel.
There was a large AVEVA convention group at the hotel. Some of the delegates were quite boorish, and seemed to believe that they took precedence other all other guests. It got to the point where I was approached at reception by a be-labelled man, who assertively said, "Are you one of us?" I took great pleasure in stating that "No! I'm one of them!"
I realise that large business hotels need the custom of such groups. I only wish that they could be persuaded to be better behaved.
We decided to use the Lisbon public transport system, using the day tickets which we bought from the Jardim Zoological Metro station. We also discovered that one of the most effective means of getting around was on bus route 758 to Cais de Sodre, and bus route 746 to Marques de Pombal.
Our trip to Lisbon was great, I only wish that the hotel was.

Room Tip: The hotel was double glazed and therefore provided good sleep quality. If we return we might choose...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel Lisbon.

Please accept my apologies for the room allocation. During your visit we had high occupancy at our hotel. Your comments are dully noted and shared with the management team to follow up.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future and will do our utmost to ensure you a perfectly crafted experience.

Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

5 of us travelled to Lisbon and we stayed at The Corinthia for 3 nights in 3 Junior Suites booked through British Airways . The hotel is close to the airport and also close to the metro making getting around easy as the hotel is a little out from the centre but we knew this before we booked so no complaints. Very impressive public areas within the hotel with beautiful flower displays , marble floors , grand seating areas and everything spotless. The staff also look very smart and they were very polite and helpful. The junior suites are very large and the bed is the biggest I've stayed in and also very comfortable. We has good views over the city and beyond from floor 18 . The room again was spotless and house keeping must be praised for their efforts , evening turn down was a nice touch which seems to be a dying service in other hotels of recent . My husband surprised 2 of us celebrating birthdays with bubbly and a beautiful cake that the staff had arranged via email with him . The cake was very impressive and my husband was very pleased with their help in arranging this . Breakfast was of a high standard and you can enjoy this on the terrace if you wish . I only have 2 minor complaints that being the lifts are very slow at busy times and check in was also a little slow but again it was busy at that particular time . Check out was great with normal check out at midday but they allowed us to use the room up until 1.00pm as we had a later flight . We rarely visit the same city twice but will look for a Corinthia hotel first before booking elsewhere .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LizSouthampton78
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review for us.

I am delighted that you liked all aspects of your stay from the public areas to the staff. It is rewarding to hear that the quality and attentiveness of the service by housekeeping was exceptional and I have passed your kind words to all the team.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I am pretty fussy when it comes to hotels, and I have to say that I was very glad we chose this one. We stayed for 9 nights (quite a while, but we have a 10 month old, which slows things down somewhat!) and I have no complaints to speak of. We stayed in one of the suites, which gave us access to the Executive Lounge on the 24th floor. We had our breakfasts up there every morning, and - having checked out downstairs one day for the sake of comparison - unusually, if anything, the selection was slightly better upstairs, which is quieter and has a great view. The main waiter, Daniel, was very friendly and always had time to chat to our son (insofar as that is possible with one his age!).

I place a lot of weight on the quality of hotel breakfasts, and this one - particularly for a European hotel - was exceptional. There was the sort of variety you would expect from an Asian hotel: a lovely range of fruits (not just a melon-laden fruit salad), very good quality, crunchy pastries, nice sourdough bread and crunchy baguettes, cold meats and smoked salmon, cheeses, the usual cereal options, plus an egg chef standing by to make you omelettes and fried eggs. (You could also get scrambled eggs, bacon, tomato etc from the buffet - the tomatoes were particularly tasty!)

The only disappointment with the Executive Lounge was that when we went there in the evening we were told firmly by the receptionist that we couldn't take any drinks back to our room, which meant that we couldn't really take advantage of the lounge at this time, when our son was asleep, other than by taking it in turns. We were told that if they let us, then everyone would want to take stuff back to their rooms. I'm not sure that that is right: the lounge is a lovely spot, with a great view, a range of newspapers and magazines, and I suspect that most people, without kids, would enjoy spending time there in the evenings. I certainly didn't see anyone trying to scurry back to their room with an armload of drinks and snacks! So we thought their attitude was a bit inflexible.

We saw quite a few reviews where people complained about this hotel being out of the centre. This is really not a concern at all. It's only a 10 minute ride on the metro, and the metro station is virtually right across the street. Alternatively you can get a cab for less than 10 euros. The hotel is also only a 10-15 minute walk to the Calouste Gulbenkian museum, one of the city's major attractions, as well as a street or two away from the zoo.

Our suite was in very good condition: clean carpet, no scratches on the walls or marks in the bathroom or anything, good quality sheets etc. It all looked very new indeed. The wifi connection was also very reliable, which was a nice change from many other hotels we have stayed at. We used it a lot and never had any problems at all. Finally, the staff were consistently very good, polite and helpful.

A few very small negatives:

- the main reception desk on the ground floor appears to be understaffed / chronically disorganised. When we arrived we hadn't noticed the separate Executive Club desk and it took us ages to be served at the regular one. Then, even once we were being served, it seemed to take the woman a ridiculously long time to process our booking. We had just got off the plane, were tired, and really just wanted to get to the room ASAP. Every other time we were downstairs we noticed there were also long queues at reception, and were grateful we didn't need to return for the duration of our stay.

- one of the two high chairs we were given while we stayed was very worn and dirty - it looked like it might have been around since the hotel opened in 2004. Not an expensive item to replace!

- we had room service a lot - because of our baby- and some nights it was very hard to get through on the phone. We had to try several times and occasionally just leave our order with Reception.

Overall, we had a very good experience for the price, I would recommend the hotel to friends and would stay there again.

Room Tip: The side of the hotel overlooking the aqueduct has better views than the other side.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sgamarti
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to post a review regarding your stay at the Corinthia Hotel Lisbon.

I am delighted to read that you enjoy the overall stay.

Your comments regarding the Executive Lounge are dully noted and we will endeavor to ensure a more assertive communication in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.