“Ups but mainly Downs - Is this really a 5 star hotel?”

Corinthia Hotel Lisbon
Ranked #42 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I recently stayed at the Corinthia in Budapest where I had an amazing hotel experience so I thought that staying at the Corinthia in Lisbon would be similar but I was left wondering if they were even part of the same company.

The interior of the hotel is nice but no different to most 4 star hotels. Our room was our first disappointment of the trip..It was not like the pictures on tripadvisor. I would describe it as being an average 4 star hotel with an average bed in a small room. We were disappointed but thought we would make the best of it.
On our first night, we noticed that our air conditioning was not working and the room got very warm even in late March. We had to open a window because of the heat and as a result we were regularly woken up by airplanes passing quite low above the hotel. I questioned reception about our air conditioning the next morning and they assured me that maintainence would investigate. When we got back to our room that night, it still was not working. I phoned reception at about 1115pm and they said someone would arrive shortly to examine the problem. Noone had arrived by 12 so I phoned reception and asked them to leave it until the following day as we were going to sleep and they agreed. At 1245am there were knocks on our door from a maintenaince which we did not answer. This breakdown in communication was very frustrating but appeared to be typical of the hotel. The next morning, I again asked that someone fix our a/c but again when we got to our room that evening, the problem was unaddressed. We slept badly throughout our stay because of the heat and the noise when we opened the window. I would hate to think what this problem would be like during summertime.

I phoned reception a couple of times with basic questions about their pool and business centre and I found the staff to be both rude and incorrect. I asked if the hotel had jacuzzis and a “yes” was grunted at me so I went to the pool area to be told that there were no jacuzzis. Frustrating! On our last day, I asked for the best way to a well known tourist attraction and that lady at what I think (there was no sign) was a concierge desk gave us the wrong information and we arrived at the incorrect metro stop. This was a reoccuring theme of our stay.

The location of the hotel is also mediocre. It is about 4 subway stops from the main shopping / restaurtant area of the city which is a little unfortunate. The hotel did however provide us with free day passes for public transport which was great and much appreciated. I don’t think the hotel would be suitable for families as you will probably have to get taxis/metros to all of your destinations.

The hotel did not have free wifi and also charged for the use of their business centre computers which was disappointing as all we wanted to do was log on and check in for our outbound flight which took about 2 minutes.

The breakfasts at the hotel were very good with a range of foods from fruits, cerials, meats, waffles, omlettes, salads, teas, (awful) sausages, beans, breads etc. This was probably the highlight of our stay. The pool area was also nice and the hotel has a nice relaxation area with some nice gardens.

Overall, we were disappointed with this hotel. It is incomparable to the Corinthia in Budapest on every level. The saving grace for our trip is that we paid a little under 100 euro per night which we thought would be a great deal but in the end we got what we paid for, mediocrity and poor comuniucation. I would like to single out Ramos who was a gentleman to deal with and very helpful & always had a smile for us. However, on departure, I had to ask myself.. Is this really a 5 star hotel?

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheWexican

Reviewed 15 March 2010

I stayed on the Corinthia Lisbon for 4 nights and I can't realty complain, considering the money I payed. But dont get fooled. It is NOT a 5 start hotel.

Positive:
- location: next to the subway and the bus and railway station, nice neightbourhood
- comfortable room
- nice bed (queen size)

Negative:
- The room was small and a bit dated.
- Too hot in the room.
- No hairdryer in the toillet. (It was on the desk and away from the mirror.. Y???)
- Inexperient staff
- The pillow had a hole!
- ALL four glasses in the mini bar had lipstick marks
- Nobody offered to carry my bags when I arrived.
- No information about the spa on the front desk
- Long wait for check out
- At check out the recepcionist didn't say any of those things you expect to listen, like: "I hope you enjoyed yr stay" or "We hope to see you again" or just "THANK YOU". Very rude...

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Tommyboy1970
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Normally I like to stay in a boutique hotel in the center of a city, but the conference my husband attended was at the Corinthia so this is where we stayed. Although a large hotel, it is immaculately maintained and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating. The real value is getting an online deal for an Executive Room - these rooms are larger with king-size beds; have better views; include bathrobes and twice daily maid service. Best of all is is the Executive Lounge, which provides free Internet (and computers) and food/munchies/drinks until 10pm. A real treat. Extremely relaxing and pleasant.
The very efficient and easy metro is about a 3-minute walk away, so within 20 minutes you're in the center of town.
We had dinner one night in the Tipico Restaurant of the hotel. The food was excellent!
The only disappointment was that the pool (crystal clear and inviting) was about 2 degrees C too cold for me to do laps.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 January 2010

The service is excellent as well as the rooms, very confortable! If you go to Lisbon book a room at this hotel. The location is perfect, near the center, about 2 or 3 stops with the metro (it is about 3 min away from the hotel) and 10 min from the airport.. It's the cheapest 5-star-hotel, I paid 89 euros and I got a junior suite (it was a special summer offer).

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2009

At the corporate rate I could get, this was very good value. Neighbourhood is not very interesting, especially not on a Sunday evening, but there are some restaurants, at least.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2009

Room was large by European standards, but I requested a queen bed and got a room with two singles. This has happened in the past when I made similar bookings through Expedia (low rates = worst room in the hotel). I didn't complain because I figured I wouldn't be spending that much time in the room anyway.
Service was great - excellent staff
Only wired broadband, no wifi
A bit far from the City center, but the 746 bus stops just up the street from the hotel, and this goes to Marques de Pombal Square where there are easy connections (including the Metro).
Fairly close to airport: 10 - 12 Euro taxi fare.
Excellent sound insulation
Overall, I think this is more of a 4-star hotel by Western standards.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank LincolnshireMike
Reviewed 25 October 2009

When you get a taxi from airport don't pay more then 10 euros,we got ripped of paid 20 euros on arrival. Took time to book in as they did not have our booking,Nice and clean,our room did not have a hand held powershower. Tea from room service cheap enough 2.50E.
Too far from the centre although metro over the road,(Busy road to cross). Pick pockets & beggers rife on metro. I think the hotel should have a shuttle bus from airport and into the centre for the guests.No information in the room regarding where and how to get there around Lisbon.
If you are a tourist going to lisbon read my report on forum Be Aware Robbers Paradise

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple