“not the best choice”

Ranked #174 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
Moscow, Russia
“not the best choice”
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We stayed in Almirante for two days and did not actually have any problems. It was quite allright for its price, staff was pretty friendly with us and the hallroom spacious and good-looking. But our room was very uncomfortable, there was so little space that we always stumbled on our bags and even sheets. Bathroom was so tiny that even the towelholder was under the sink and i couldn't find at first. We lived on the first floor and from our room there was a "beautiful" view on the roof and local slum behind it. Location is good considering that it is couple of meters from the subway entrance, but Almirante street is very dirty, i even stepped into... feces once)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vadim01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
UK
Reviewed 8 June 2008

The hotel itself is fine, not on the best street but it's OK for the price. Quite clean and safe, HOWEVER ....

...when we arrived we were told that the hot water was broken for exactly 2 days on the entire floor where our room was and the rest of the hote was full, and that we had to stay at another hotel which was twice as far away from the centre of Lisbon as the Almirante. They said we could come back and stay on our final night. How did they know it was going to take exactly 2 days to fix the hot water, and how could it be broken on just one floor? This didn't make sense and we suspected we were being lied to. We had a nice free cocktail in their bar while we decided what to do.

We decided in the end to ask to see our room (partly so we could test the hot tap and to call their bluff) and we also suggested they would refund us some of our money if we agreed to go to this other hotel. The front desk lady went to get a key so she could show us the room as we had request. She was gone some time.

Eventually, she came back beaming and said by some miracle there had been 2 room cancellations on the internet and we could stay at the Almirante for our entire stay afterall !!!!!

Would you believe it? No we didn't either !! Other than this poor treatment upon arrival, the hotel was fine and good value for money.

• Disliked — We believed we were lied to upon arrival about the hot water on our floor to get us into a cheaper hotel.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank To1let

Travellers are raving about these Lisbon hotels

Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2007

We stayed in this hotel for our honeymoon from July 9th to 16th and we were quite satisfied. We did read the negative reviews of this hotel and don't agree with them. If they told you rooms were not available due to flooding - most likely there was indeed a flood, and you know what, that can happen at the best of hotels. I don't believe they were making it up.

The staff were quite helpful and all spoke English quite well. They provided restaurant suggestions, travel tips, they even helped us order a pizza for a late night meal! Despite ariving quite early in the morning, they held our luggage for us while we visited the city and had a room ready for us by noon which is exceptional after a busy weekend. The servers at the bar and breakfast restaurant went out of their way to be helpful - helping us retrieve a lost retainer from the restaurant.

The hotel is in great condition with marble bathrooms and lobby as well as bar service all day. It is just by the subway and is a 30 minute walk or 5 minute metro to downtown. The price was quite reasonable and included continental breakfast and air conditionning, mini-bar, toiletteries, and pay-movies.

On the downside, there was only one channel on the television that included English programing (subtitled). Unforturnately this hotel does not have a restaurant , room service nor highspeed internet.

This is a very good hotel offering the basic services you would expect from a 3 star, but if you are looking for more than that, you should look elsewhere. We really enjoyed this hotel throughout our stay and looked forward to returning to it after a busy day of sightseeing or just soaking in the great Portuguese weather.

• Liked — Cleaniliness and good service
  • Disliked — No restaurant or highspped interet
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MarcoMil
Glasgow Scotland
Reviewed 4 June 2007

I arrived for an overnight stay in Almirante, at 11 PM and after being booked in, I was informed by the desk clerk, that the floor that I was to sleep in, was (THATS RIGHT YOU HAVE GUESSED IT) was flooded. But he said not to worry, as I was being transferred to a nice hotel not far away.
(Hotel Madrid) He then got me a very surly and bad tempered taxi driver who wanted me to pay the fare. Being dead tired after a day of flying (from Glasgow) I just went with the flow.
The single room at the Madrid was about 8 feet by 10, and I now wish I had just dossed at the Airport.
The Taxi drivers are real rip of merchants, so be very cautious of them. All in all, I was glad to get my flight back the next day.
Forgot to mention the breakfast was good at the Madrid.
Somebody with a bit of authourity should investigate, this FLOODING rubbish of an excuse, and do something about it.
It surely can,t be good for the tourist industry in Lisbon.
Regards

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The Single Room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Bacardi83
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 27 April 2007

The location is good- metro is a few steps away, and taxi main areas costs 3-4 euros max. BUT according to ratestogo.com, the rooms have balconies, high speed internet etc, which is not true. 2 of the 59 rooms have balconies, and only rooms in two top floors have high speed internet. There is wifi in the lobby, but it costs 10 euros/day. Internet cafes are a rarity in Lisbon, so it would be very good if the hotel could provide an internet service with reasonable rates.
The breakfast was rather spartan, Ive never seen juice so watered down. Empty trays were replenished only upon request.
On the bright side, the personnel is not responsible for the shortcomings of the hotel, and was friendly throughout our stay. The rooms are basic, but clean, the bathroom was ok. As always, pictures give a false idea of the rooms but all together, not impossible. The right price for this accommondation is 50-65 euros, would not pay more for it.
The area seems peaceful, there are small restaurants, furniture stores, cafes and a small supermarket.

• Liked — location, airport shuttle
  • Disliked — False info conserning facilities, poor breakfast, bedding (pillows&blankets)
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank aura74
France
Reviewed 20 July 2006

We booked a double room for five days at the hotel Almirante, a month before our arrival.

Our first impression was good because the hotel wasn’t too far from the airport (half hour by bus) and 15 m from a subway station. It’s also clean, but my boyfriend and I are very disappointed with the service.

After checking in the room, we found two single beds instead of a double bedroom. We told the receptionist who said he knew, but since the hotel was fully booked and it was the last room available, we had to wait for the next day to see if a double room would be available. We didn’t appreciate that he knew but didn’t bother mentioning this detail to us when we checked in and it wasn’t that we didn’t book the room, but reserved it over a month ago.

When we asked for his recommendation for a restaurant, he pointed at the flyers and said that all the information were there.

The following evening, we returned in the hotel at about 11 pm. We were tired and wanted to take a shower and sleep. We were pleased that they were able to give us another room, with a double bed, but my surprise when opening the bathroom door of room 207: there was a huge leak, so water was all over the place and the ground was completely covered with water. Twenty minutes after our call at the reception, the maintenance guy came. The guy locked himself in the bathroom for about an hour "to repair" the leak. He only came out when I knocked at the door to ask what was going on.

Third day, same scenario. It was past midnight. Water was everywhere in the bathroom. This time, the lady receptionist came to check rather fast after our call. She asked us to wait while she consulted her manager. 15 minutes later, she called to ask us to wait in the bar because they had to remove the ceiling to repair the leak. We waited over an hour yesterday already. We didn’t want to wait this time, so we didn’t go down and of course, there was no other room. We asked them to fix the leak the next day. The detail was that our clothes (which were in the bathroom) were completely soaked in the water.

We took our precaution the last two days and didn’t put anything in the bathroom. It wouldn’t change much to our experience, but the staff never apologized for the inconvenience (for leak or for the error of the room). It’s a pity to have such bad service because overall, the hotel is rather nice and clean.

• Liked — close to the subway
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank thisismyopinion
Zürich
Reviewed 21 June 2006

... because you won't end up sleeping there.

I booked the hotel using e-bookers (which I have come to know as a reliable internet travel agency - until know). I forgot to check trip advisor prior to booking (what mistake). When I read about all the complaints of people who ended up in other hotels I regretted booking it, but I could not undo my mistake without incurring the penalty of paying the full rate. So I got there well prepared...
I entered the hotel and the lady at the desk asked for my voucher. She looked at it, then at the computer, a well displayed frown on here face and then she looked up and told me that due to an error my room was not available, I had to stay somewhere else. A shuttle (readily parked in front of the hotel, already waiting for the overbooked...) would bring me to another hotel.
I insisted on getting a) room b) a room in a hotel of my choosing (i suggested the AC Lisboa at a rate of ~200EUR) or c) cash (200EUR).
The lady insisted, the hotel was overbooked and the would pay the other hotel where they wanted to bring me.
I insisted on staying there. She called AC Lisboa, told me they had no single rooms. I said, okay next hotel I would call. She said, she had to call her manager first. I told her I want my room and I want it know and here in this hotel. She said it was not possible. Then I raised my voice.
Finally after 15 minutes of argument she told to sit down behind, at the bar, while working out something. I sat in the hallway, watching her. Other guests came - same story: overbooked - shuttle - nice ladies did not insist... me still waiting for my room.
After twice telling her that I want my room immediatly she was finally able to give me a room. It was a double instead of a single but generally okay. And the warm breakfest was also quite good.

If you want to avoid all of this... don't go there, because they seem to be selling as many rooms as possible and not as many as they have. Sad sad story. Sad also that e-bookers features such a hotel.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business