“NOT SO SAFE!”
Review of Hotel Dom Sancho I

Hotel Dom Sancho I
Ranked #187 of 253 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night and left my wallet inside the safe. When I checked out the day after, I collected my belongings and the stuff I left inside the safe. A day later I checked for my money and I noticed it was missing about €500.00. I went to the police, filed a report and went to the hotel and asked to see the video surveillance. Conveniently, I was informed it was installed a day after my departure. I emailed the hotel about my predicament, never heard from them. I advise people to lock their wallets inside their suitcases!!!! For I was the only one who knew the combo for the safe and the front desk had the master key for it and it is the kind of hotel you have to leave your key with them when you leave the premise.

My advise: DON't STAY THERE!!!!!

Room Tip: Not to be trusted!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Magelanf
There are newer reviews for Hotel Dom Sancho I

Reviewed 2 June 2013

A step above a hostel or guest-house. We paid 66 Euro for a small double room with its own bath. You enter the building, take the lift to the 2nd floor where the check-in desk is.
Pros: The staff were polite and efficient, the room and bedding were clean, everything worked, the bed was comfortable, the wireless was strong.
Cons: The bath was the smallest I've seen outside a cruise ship, and it was noisy in the hallways at night.
Not necessarily the place for a romantic getaway, but if you prioritize location and budget, this is the right place for you.
I would equate the hotel's two stars to a two-star place in the USA.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob R
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We stayed for eight nights in April, and we really loved the place. The bedroom, though small, was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is just right to get you going. And the location is perfect; on the very beautiful Avenida Liberdade, and close to Baixa and Barrio Alto. The staff is very professional, friendly, and helpful. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had a room in the front of the building, and it was great to get up in the morning and be able to...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Don't turn away because this hotel is located in the first floor. First of all the staff is very helpful. If you need any advice don't hesitate to ask at the reception. Good chance is you can even buy your ticket here as I did for the tourist bus. The breakfast buffet is cheap but has all the basics you need. The rooms are not big but they rarely are in capitals. However the locations makes fully up for the lack of space. You are right next to a metro and only 10 minutes away from the very core of Lisbon. I would stay here anytime I'm in Lisbon. I felt like being in a home away from home

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Great location. A walk away from the subway system which takes you to and from the Airport, Downtown, and connecting trains.I would recommend the breakfast however, if you're looking for the authentic breakfast experience there are plenty of options close by to choose from.
Staff were friendly, and helpful. With most European hotel rooms they were small, but what do I care?! I'm in Portugal!! Stayed 6 nights at the end of October 2012.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2013

The rooms were rather on the small side but considering the price one would hardly complain.The location was very good for us as it was only a block from the Hard Rock Cafe which is where the majority of tourist busses pick up. (Viator etc.) The lock on our door didn't work but by the time we came back from a day out sightseeing it had been replaced. One of the reception staff had limited English,but the others were extremely well spoken and all were VERY helpful in regard to tours,sights etc. Breakfast was basic but enough to get you started for the day, I think if they had some eggs,even if hard boiled ,it would have made a big difference to just bread or rolls every morning. My general opinion is Small but Cosy rooms with friendly staff,I would stay there again if in Lisbon.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the main road or you may end up with a view of the back alley and clothesline!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The hotel is centrally located. Main attractions and the main plaza are all a walking distance from the hotel. You must take a few steps up before reaching the lift that takes you the 2nd floor where the hotel is located. The rooms are small but clean. The front desk was very helpful and accommodating. He recommended the breakfast and wi-fi package as a cheaper option. Very fast and reliable wi-fi.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple