“Comfortable and well placed”
Review of Hotel Dos Anjos

Hotel Dos Anjos
Ranked #240 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel 6 days with my boyfriend, we needed a good accomodation near the town center, with a garage for the car and with a wireless connection.
It satisfied our needs but the wi-fi was too expensive: 4 € a hour!!!
The room was very large, with a big bathroom, everything was clean and comfortable. The breakfast room was really nice and the food choice was good.
The metro station Intendente is just on the corner of the hotel road (1 min walking) and just 3 stops to the town center (Baixa-Chiado).
Unfortunately on our floor there were men at work to restyle the rooms and the hotel staff have never proposed us to change our room. So we were waken up every day by noises and we couldn't easily go out from our room.
Another fault: the woman staff member who received us in the reception was very strange, she didn't talk to us and didn't smile...only gave us the room key and never sayed us "Good morning". It isn't a good welcome for a hotel!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Valentina D

Reviewed 25 September 2011

We were very impressed with this hotel, Intendente metro stop is just at the bottom of the road also the 28 tram and buses. Short stroll downhill into centre of Lisbon. Helpful reception, we arrived at 10.30am but were able to leave our bags and check in later. Maps with guide booklet were given to each of us. Breakfast room closed early on the first day but when I queried the times with reception a phone call was made and the room re-opened. Fairly basic breakfast but everything was very fresh - rolls were crusty but soft and tasty inside and there was a good selection of cakes each day. The bed was a little hard for my preference but I slept well each night, bathrooms are clean with good quality fittings.
Taxi from airport was 14 euros although the meter was only showing 7.60. We know the driver ripped us off by claiming meter was broken and we all had to pay for baggage. Try arguing in mime as driver claims not to understand. Return taxi to airport was only 9.80 euros but the police were there checking all drop offs!
Taxis home at night varied from 4.40 (3 times in cream taxis so full marks to honest drivers there) up to 8.80 in a taxi that claimed to be lost when I asked where the hell he was going. We had to direct him to our hotel even though we gave him hotel card with address on. Moral is avoid black/green taxis cruising the lanes with the meter running and use the taxi ranks.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank AliNottsUK
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Clean enough but no proper vent in bath. Within walking distance to metro, bus and tram, however our impression was that you do not want to walk around in this area after dark. Especially rooms at the back are very quiet. The elder guy at reception is outstandingly friendly and helpful but watch out with one of the others. He tried to cheat us when we wanted to buy W-Lan access saying that a straight week (EUR 30.-) is not possible only on a day to day basis (EUR 12.-). He did not catch us as we already knew from the friendly guy what's what and insisted. Continental breakfast is basic but adequate. You might want to bring your own coffee and tea.

Room Tip: room at the back
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chocolate123
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Location: Its a bit out of the centre but still quite near. Area not as bad as it first looks as lots of Lisbon is quite run down. 1 minute from the metro.

Hotel: Nicely done, lovely garden.

Rooms: Not bad. Horrible furniture. Huge lovely bathroom. Rooms overlooking garden very peaceful.

Staff: Mostly helpful expect one who didnt take his eyes off the TV

Breakfast: Not great - rolls and coffee.

Value: Very good.

Conclusion: Very nice hotel for the money.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AllanBLondon
Reviewed 9 December 2008

We stayed at hotel dos anjos during a class trip in Lisbon. The hotel was very nice and clean and everything, but the streets outside seemed poor and filthy. When I went jogging in the mornings I had do watch my step not to step in piles of dog pooh.. and I'm not even sure the pooh was from dogs. The garbage truck emptied the outside bins every night at 1-2 in the middle of the night, right outside the window to our room. Also the police seemed to constantely live at the corner to hotel dos anjos' street. And once we went to buy food in a small shop, someone tried to steal some bananas out of my friend's hand.

However we went to Cascais during rhis trip, and I thought Cascais was much more enjoyable that Lisbon..

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 September 2008

When we arrived at the hotel, there was a nice man behind the hotel-desk. He very kindly welcomed us, and we checked in. Immediately he gave us a map of Lisbon, and pointed out the hot-spots, places we should visit and gave us excellent tips! He gave us all the information, without us even asking for it :)
When my travel-companion (brother) wanted to ask him something, the receptionist read his mind and knew what he was going to ask and immediately answered that there was a great Portuguese restaurant that was really close to the hotel. (turn left when walking out of the hotel; first one left, first one right, and you're there)

So we first put our luggage and stuff in our rooms ( having room 414). it wasn't an amazing view (backside of the hotel), but i couldn't complain. You could see some really authentic Portuguese houses, which i liked.
The room isn't enormous, but then again. I was in a double room, which means 2 persons. why would you need that much space? There's plenty of room, and i had to trouble with it at all. The showers were very agreeable (trust me, normally i'm really stuck-up when it comes to bathroom-hygiene). I had no problem at all showering in the bathroom.

The location of the hotel is awesome! there's a nightshop really nearby (like 50m walking-distance maybe?) and the Intendente subway-station was really close as well! From Intendente it's really easy to get around in Lisbon. In my opinion, it's not only cheaper than a taxi, sometimes it's also easier and quicker.
Oh the taxi's were really cheap too! I went to a concert at a disco in the south of Lisbon (Musicbox Lisboa) and from there, we went back to the hotel by taxi which only costed us 5euro's.

When we were checking out, we asked the receptionist where we could get a taxi around here.. he very helpfully phoned a taxi, and called him over. From hotel Dos Anjos, it's merely 10euro's to get to the Lisbon-airport by taxi!

* People had no problem communicating in English.
* the reception is open around the clock. They work in day and night-shifts. (the nightshift-guy was really nice!! ;))
* The surroundings are SO beautiful! the perfect little streets on the hills which were so nice, and fun to walk on.

I really recommend this hotel to anyone who has read my LONG LONG report (sorry)
it's a good hotel. we were fine when we stayed there. No problems at all! it was great and if i ever have the opportunity to visit lisbon again, I will definitely stay at this hotel once more since it's not expensive in price but not cheap in quality either! :)

-cheers.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ckuo90
A TripAdvisor Member
Barcelona
Reviewed 24 September 2005

I stayed there for a few days and I really loved that place and very nice staff!

I can recommend it to everyone. The hotel rates are very reasonable too and the place is very clean. Fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business