“Very very good value”
Review of SANA Lisboa Hotel

SANA Lisboa Hotel
Ranked #38 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Stayed at the Sana Lisboa last weekend and was mighty impressed by the hotel. Its a 4 star but can easily pass as a 5 star in some countries.

The hotel is way contemporary with Starck Duravit W/C;s, Hansgrohe fittings, Inda bathroom fittings etc., Dorma door closers etc. The bed was hard like some of the other reviewers mention but its the way I like it. Nice touch with the room numbers, sewn into the carpet flooring in front of the door.

Location was OK, I had a rental so it was easy to move around. Overnight parking was charged at €15.50/night. 24 hours usage of internet (via WiFi) was charged at €10. Buffett breakfast was good and the variety sufficient, nothing to complain about.

All in all I was mighty impressed with the hotel and the cost per night which makes it highly valuable for Lisboa. I am a Platinum SPG and was considering staying at the nearby Sheraton but glad I didn't. I still can't get over the €79/night I paid for this hotel.

So far the Sana brand hotels has not disappoint. I also stayed at the Sana Sesimbra which was good.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank dolladrum

Reviewed 31 May 2010

I arrived at the hotel two hours before check in and it was not a problem. I received a room right away. The hotel is very clean, and modern. The hotel staff is average. I felt like they did not want to take the time to answer my questions. This was my first experience traveling in Europe. I asked where I could walk to go to a shopping center, and I was told, but could not understand what was said, because it was said so fast. I asked again, and the same thing occured. I would have expected the hotel to have a map of the local "things to do" where they could have shown me the location, and the name in case I wanted to call a cab or got lost. I did not feel comfortable asking where to go and how to get to places. However, any time I spoke with reception on the phone from my room, they were extremely friendly. Odd.

The room was nice and clean and spacious, however the bed was like sleeping on the floor. Even sitting on it while on my computer, by backside ached. The airconditioning is weak. The room never gets cold, or even cool. The room is very quiet, I was on the 5th floor.

The breakfast was nice. A large selection of fruit, meat, cheese, hot breakfast items and breads were available. I went right at is was ending and I had no problem with selection.

The "business center" consists of two computers. You need to get an acess code from the desk in order to log on for 1/2 of free internet. I opted for the WIFI in my room for 10 EUR for 24 hours. The speed was great, and I had no issues.

The bar was nice and the bartender was extremely friendly and helpful.

This hotel is considered to be in the business area of Lisbon, which means you cannot walk around and entertain yourself. In order to get where the "action" is, you must take transportation, which dissapointed me.

I canceled the last night of my stay due to the bed. If the bed had been nicer would have stayed.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank RestlessButterfly
Reviewed 27 May 2010

My wife and I spent three nights at this hotel. It is very modern and up to date. The room and all public areas are spotless.

The hotel is located on a very busy thoroughfare and within easy walking distance to shopping, train station or bus stop.

The included breakfast buffet is outstanding and offers something for everyone. The food was excellent considering the buffet setting.

We found the hotel bar to be pricey but also expected. Because of this, we never tried the hotel restaurant.

Directly across the street we happened upon a small sidewalk restaurant with excellent food and very reasonable. The name of the restaurant is O Cardo Restaurante and specializes in fresh seafood.

We ended up having lunch and two dinners at this restaurant. We had Garlic Chicken, Brazilian Beef, roasted suckling pig and a seafood Parilla to die for. It included lobster, boiled large shrimp, four huge prawns, mussles, clams, crab legs and claws plus the body of the huge crab stuffed "their way". This is a must try dish if you love seafood.

All in all, we enjoyed this hotel very much.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Stayed here for what ended up being 5 nights due to the volcanic ash cloud and we had a great time. It was our first trip away with our 3 month old daughter and the cot they provided for her was very clean.
All the staff were very helpful and more than accomodating when our flights were cancelled. Without the hotel's free internet access we would have been lost.
The breakfast had a great choice, with food being changed and filled up regularly.
The hotel is ideally located with easy access for the metro, which was great with a pram as most stops have lifts/elevators.
My only complaint would be the bed was hard for the 1st few nights but we soon got used to it and there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
Our trip was made even more eventful by the Benfica fans celebrating outside our hotel until the early hours and the Pope visiting Lisbon - staying just up the road from the hotel.
If you travelling with young children/babies please be prepared to get on the bus from the airport as taxis will not take you. However the bus was very easy to use and much cheaper than a taxi at 3.50 per adult - no charge for babies.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Rooms are decent sized with all the amenities you expect from a western hotel. Location is in heart of city. Price is right. Not much else you can ask for. Wish I could have stayed longer. Lisbon seems like a great city!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Tricky129
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Excellent hotel, a lot of nice facilities, and modern, tastefully decorated rooms. Great breakfast buffet! Very helpful staff, which helped me to book taxis and gave several restaurant tips. Also a great location -- Parque Eduardo VII just around the corner, and a nice walk from Pombal to the old city center.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Our room was very clean, modern, quiet and comfortable. Good choice of English language TV programs available. Bed was slightly hard but not a problem getting a good night's sleep especially after a long day of sightseeing. We had the romantic package, so sparkling wine, bath oils were provided. Full buffet breakfast at the hotel's Contemporaneo restaurant - very good range of food and fresh fruits.

Centrally located, near to Marques de Pombal square. El Corte Ingles (with a cinema - English language movies with Portugese subtitles are available) and restaurants nearby. Rossio Square is about 20-25 minutes of leisurely walking down Avenida Da Liberdade. We went for good tours on two consecutive days with Inside Lisbon Tours - the Sana Lisboa hotel is one of the two major pick-up points for their day tours, eg. to Sintra/Cascais and Obidos/Fatima. The hotel is also a few steps away from Carristur's yellow Hop-on, Hop-off bus stop as well as the airport bus stop.

Concierge and front desk staff were absolutely wonderful, patiently attending to our queries, assisting us with our tour reservations, and even went to the extent of providing valet parking. This may only be a 4 star hotel, but the staff certainly provided 5 star service.

Will not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple