“Great location, friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 9HOTEL MERCY

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
9HOTEL MERCY
Ranked #66 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
Highland Park, New Jersey
“Great location, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of days and really liked it. The best thing is how well located it is - right in the heart of everything. So close to restaurants in Bairro Alto, shopping in Chiado, the tram, the Elevador de Santa Justa and more.

We had a cosy double, which was just fine for us. I worried that it would be *really* small, but it wasn't - it was totally comfortable. Our room was very quiet. We did not hear any noise from inside the hotel or from outside either.

We did not have breakfast at the hotel, so I can't review that, but I'd recommend going around the corner to Cafe A Brasileira for coffee/tea and pastries.

And the staff were very friendly and helpful - make good recommendations, helped us rent a car, and made dinner reservations too.

Would definitely recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor, on the side (ie not overlooking Misericordia street) and it was totally qu...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MollydeA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Mercy is a small boutique hotel very well located in Lisbon, at a foot distance to everything: the bar area of Bairro Alto, the cosy shopping area of Chiado, the river with hop-on-hop-off station and many restaurants around.
We had a so called "cosy double" room which was large enough, with bath robes, slippers, espresso machine and free wi-fi.
The bath was not so comfortable as it was accommodating separate toilet room and separate shower room in a small place.
The corridors and the lobby of the hotel are also small and narrow due to the building structure.
The breakfast is not adding value to the hotel as there are not many options and it is served at the table, not in the buffet system, with a slow service.
By opposite, the service at the reception was fantastic, one of the best experienced in a hotel.
The hotel had also nice small surprises like daily chocolates in the room, welcome drink or umbrella offered in case of rain.
If you avoid expectations of a 5 stars hotel as it is recommending itself, Mercy is a very good option for a city break in Lisbon.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street may be very noisy in week-end, due to Bairro Alto proximity.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dana_Romania_10
Adelaide
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had a mixed experience at the Mercy Hotel over my four day stay. While an extremely sleek hotel, I have significant concerns about quality control and guest relations.

I’ll start with the good.

I stayed in two rooms, both on the fifth floor, with views over rooftops of Bairo Alto. Both were large, well appointed and had a great sense of style. The first was a Prestige Twin, the Second a Double Deluxe. I think they were 507 and 508. The bathrooms were sleek, with bathtub. We had some issues with internet connectivity, but when raised with staff, they suggested a very effective fix.

The location on the border of Bairo Alto and Chiado is incomparable. It provides access to great restaurants, and easy access to sights.

Staff were consistently friendly, but oddly the most consistent personality we interacted with was Ronnie. His badge says head of security, but he provides a large degree of the hotels character, and seems legitimately interested with engaging the guests.

The hotel has many strengths. With that said, I had a number of major concerns during my stay.

The first related to the offer of a free drink during our stay. I thought this was a pleasant and generous gesture. We wandered down to the bar on night two to an empty bar, with no service staff (a barman was quickly summoned by the front desk), only to subsequently tell us that no alcoholic drinks were covered. This is truly bizarre. I discussed this with a number of other tourists who thought it was outrageous to offer a “free drink” and exclude anything alcoholic.

In a country where a bottle of good port is a few Euros, I was outraged given my stay was many hundred.

The second issue was a little more insidious. The card I booked my stay on had the total of the stay “held” from it the day of check-in. It was the not the card I provided to the hotel for security on check-in, rather the booking confirmation card from weeks before. Following hours on the phone to master card to determine the origin of this transaction (which was unclear because the funds were “held” rather than formally taken), Mastercard were quite adamant it was the hotel.

When I discussed this with the hotel, they denied it was possible for them to have debited the card. I accepted that, particularly in light of the finance department not being available over the weekend. With that said, they acknowledged that it was very unusual that it would be the exact cost of my stay at the hotel, and agreed that they would look into it.

I have provided the transaction approval code many times to the hotel, and formally requested a response as to whether the funds were held by the hotel, but this has not been forthcoming. I think this is poor customer service. I have requested a response to my enquiries repeatedly. I even held off writing this review to allow them to respond (over a week).

The third issue relates to room standards. My two rooms, as outlined, were excellent.

When I moved to the second room (the Deluxe double), I expressed great satisfaction with the first (the Prestige twin), and asked whether similar amenities would be available in the second room. A bath would not be available, and I was to be moved to a lower floor.

I asked to inspect the room, which was markedly smaller than the first in spite of being in a more expensive category. It lacked the bath, it lacked the rooftop views, it was at most two thirds of the size. When I expressed concern they showed me another room, with a view but lacking a bath. Again, very small.

Ultimately, given my surprise that I was moving to a ‘higher’ room category, which was for all intents and purposes ‘inferior’ I was finally given a room with similar amenities as the first.

It concerns me that the hotels rooms are so varied, that they seem like a lucky dip. Booking a higher room category seems not to matter… If the two small rooms I saw and rejected represent the average ‘Deluxe room’, I would hate to see the cosy…

My stay was very mixed- excellent rooms, in an excellent location, with major customer service concerns.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank john_tillett
Campinas, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed there 4 nights in march 2014, room #208. Had a deluxe double room on the second floor. The room was huge, overlooking the street which is quite busy but not that much noise once the windows were closed. Everything in the hotel and in the room is really black (the bathroom was all black (except the towels....), black curtains, black corridors, etc...So if you don't like black, better go somewhere else.
The bed was ok but could be more comfortable, found it a bit too soft for my taste. Nespresso machine for free was a nice touch.
The breakfast is nice, served at the table which I'm not a great fan (prefer buffet breakfast) but good quality products.
The staff was nice and helping.
Good point: taxi station in front of the hotel so you don't spend that much when going back to the airport (around 12 euros)
The location is the other great point of the hotel, the Misericordia street is the frontier between the Chiado and the Bairro Alto. You're close to all the nice restaurants, bars (cross the street and enter the bairro alto at night to see how the young people of Lisbon have fun), shops, churches (don't miss San Roque, 1mn by feet going up), convent (don't miss the "convento dos cardeais" on the rua do seculo), etc...of the city. 2mn by feet from the "Baixa chiado" metro station.
Next to the hotel stands a delicious chocolate shop (Equador) and next corner is a great restaurant "100 maneiras" (better booking).
Would definitely recommend this hotel: excellent location, nice staff, nice room and good breakfast.

Room Tip: If you're really sensitive to street noise at night, might be wise to ask for a room overlooking...
1 Thank Alexandre92100
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The staff at the mercy have outclassed most of other good hotels I've stayed in. Warm welcome by name, instant reservation at a local quality restaurant a hop skip and jump away when they saw we were tired from a delayed journey, luggage taken up, everything explained. Ronnie on the door who also brings breakfast is absolutely charming. Everyone is top notch who deals with you. Thanks for looking after us. The hotel is in a 100% location at the join of chiado ( slightly more upscale trendy area with shopping) and bairro alto ( grungy bohemian trendy old town area). We had a top floor suite how good was that? Large balcony to look across the rooftops to the estuary and bridge, enjoy breakfast, afternoon coffee in the sun. Worth it. Everything is easily walkable. Loved cafe buenos aires a 5 min walk. A few wee minor tips to help guys...replace the room service ordering card every day ( we had to ask twice), a pen also for writing on it, Pls replace toiletries very day ( they were one day and not the other), how about a mirror and plug together for drying hair? I had to bend under a side table it was extremely difficult to dry hair or put on makeup due to position of mirrors/v dim lighting.the room service brekkie was lovely esp granola, yogurt and honey...but pls remember the orders...couple things missed off both times. It's a fabby place with a warm welcome, just needs to get its systems right for remembering things and it will be even more fabby!

Room Tip: Top floor suite
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed for two nights in room 301, which was at the side of the hotel to the rear. So no view, but it was very quiet and comfortable. We liked the black smoked glass cubicle which was the bathroom, except for the fact there was no way to plug the sink for my partner to shave. But it all looked beautiful!

The service was great, especially at breakfast which is served to your table. We had a couple of early drinks in the basement bar and on both occasions were the only people in there.

As other reviewers have said, the location is great. Cross over the road and you're in the restaurant and bar quarter. The centre of Lisbon is very compact, if hilly, and walkable. The 5 Euro daily travel pass is great (buy it in the metro station) as you can hop on and off trams and funiculars all day long. We also got the metro from the airport which was very simple and the Mercy Hotel is a short walk (uphill!) from the nearest tube station.

2 Thank Jackie D
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This boutique hotel is ideally situated for the city and further afield (close to train lines to Sintra and Cascais) and a destination in itself. Celebrating my birthday in style, we were treated to a complimentary bottle of champagne and nothing was too much trouble for the excellent hotel staff. We requested a room switch after a bad night being woken up by the noisy street (loose manhole cover that clanged with each car passing, all night) and were immediately offered a lovely quiet room on 5th floor at back the next morning early. Stylish decor and trendy ambience. Have to agree with other reviewers that the mannequins are plain odd though!

Room Tip: Don't go for a room on the street if you can't sleep through street noise and traffic