Hall Chiado
US$307
US$218
US$190
  • Pool
All reviewscork floorskey coderoom worksclean modern roomsportuguese tilesgreat locationthe airport bus stopcomplimentary bottled watercais do sodreyour luggageshort walkinner courtyardbars and restaurantsgreat place to stay in lisbonno elevatorroom numberstayed here for two nights
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here one night as we were passing through Lisbon. We stayed in one of the family suites, which was much bigger than we needed but was all they had left at the time we booked. Still the price was less than many double rooms at nearby hotels.

The room was very clean and had been renovated in the not too distant past. The bathroom was enormous, clean and modern. There was also a small kitchenette in the room, although we didn't use that.

It was generally quiet, although there was some loud machinery operating in the building at about 8AM (I have no idea what it was or if it's a regular occurrence). The location is awesome, in walking distance to many restaurants, shopping and the shore.

This is not a "hotel" so don't expect a front desk, concierge, etc. They give you a key code to access your room and you can come and go as you please. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Marta G, Proprietário at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest,
I apologize for the noise that disturbed you so early in the morning. That is of course not nice at all. I have no idea what may have originated that noise, it hasn't happened before and there is no construction going on in the building at the moment, not even in the neighbour buildings.
I am glad that your experience with us was good in general and would love to be able to surprise you in a positive way, if you come back one day. Please let me know.
Leonor

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed one night at Hall Chiado to explore Lisbon for one day and I was SUPER pleased! Took the metro from the airport (super cheap & easy) and walked about 10 minutes and found the place. Coded into the building and found my room - nice size for one person. I'm sure there are smaller rooms as well as larger suites. My room was clean, modern and opened to the main street. I didn't have an issue w/ street noise since it was December and the windows were closed. Modern bathroom was excellent and the heater in the room works TOO well as I had to turn it down in the middle of the night. Most importantly, I was near EVERYTHING! The water front, pubs, Old Tram rides, the Metro and shopping in and around Baixa. Can't miss!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Marta G, Owner at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice comment.
Lisbon is in fact very convenient for a short break, as the airport is very close to the center. The subway is of course a good option but there are also shuttles for 3€ that take you directly to the square next to Hall Chiado. Even a taxi is quite cheap, not more than 15€ and 20m ride. Very different from other cities as London or Paris...
We'll make sure to check the air conditioning, too much heat becomes uncomfortable of course.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at Hall Chiado for 3 nights in Oct 2013- Marta was there to greet us and was superb & spot-on in giving us instructions on what to do, see and what to eat in Lisbon. There were also recommendations posted up in the hallway and they were excellent.
Hall Chiado has a great location due to its proximity to good food, shopping, transport (near the train station and tram 28 stop) and of course to areas of interests for tourists. Our room was large, bed was comfy and the bathroom was also well planned. It is important to note that this accommodation is more like an apartment and not a hotel. Breakfast was not included but this suited us well as we enjoyed lovely breakfasts nearby.
We would definitely stay here again if/ when we return.
4/5

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Marta G, Proprietário at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest,
I am really happy that Hall Chiado didn't fail in such an important moment for you! Please continue having yearly "honeymoons" in Lisbon or other beautiful and romantic cities.
When giving recommendations, I always try to understand the profile of the guest and fit with the right suggestions but I end up talking about my favorite places most of the time... I am glad it worked for you.
You know, we like to call Hall Chiado a guest house, rather than hotel or apartment. We don't have the standard reception and the hassle of checkin/out, also we don't have breakfast, but we do have all the other services and comfort of a regular hotel, including daily cleaning and towel change, if requested. Plus the personal recommendations, which we are happy to provide!
All the best,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed with our two small kids and unit 8 was fantastic! The 2 bedrooms were the perfect size, VERY clean and an excellent value. The staff was nice and accommodating and the location is central to everything.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Julesdole
Marta G, Proprietário at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Guest,
I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Believe me I know the challenge of travelling with kids... Either you book two rooms in a hotel, which tends to get expensive or you find an apartment, which can be a good solution but sometimes is a bit of a hassle. In Hall Chiado I think we found a good way of accommodating families up to 5 with our suites, no big luxury but really functional and not expensive. I am glad it worked for you.
All the best,

Reviewed 6 November 2013

To tell the truth, it wasn't love at first sight for me. The room we had was really very small and sparse. Open the door and you fall on the bed. One wooden chair or sit on the bed. The window had to be kept closed because of the really loud traffic noise. Luckily there was an airconditioner, because even though it wasn't hot, it got stuffy in our tiny room without any air flow. There was no communal fridge, which would have been nice to keep a couple of drinks cold on a hot day.

Gradually I warmed up to it. It was clean and tidy, they provided free water bottles in the foyer each day, and the girls in the shop next door were helpful. They also provided a kettle for us, and tea bags (which we requested) and I was very grateful for that.

Free wifi was great, the location hard to beat too, only 5 min walk from the train station. The code system worked well, and we didn't miss not having a reception.

Not a bad place to stay, but if you are staying for longer than a couple of days, I would book one of the apartments, rather than the room. Space is a premium here. There are also stairs for those with mobility issues.

Be warned that you are close to Bairro Alto (aka party district) and Saturday night in Lisbon is pretty wild, noise-wise. It did keep me awake that night (even with the window closed), but the other nights were okay. Bring ear plugs if noise is an issue for you.

Room Tip: Go for an apartment with a kitchen and more space. Ask for a quiet room away from the street (if possible).
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Marta G, Proprietário at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time you dedicated to this review.
By your description, I think you stayed in our smallest room. The other double rooms are more spacious. If you come back on day, just give us a note and we will make sure you get a bigger room, no need to go for a family suite.
Regarding the noise, Hall Chiado is located in the heart of the action, so it can get a bit noisy at night sometimes. We have installed the best noise-proof windows that are available but for guests who are especially sensitive to noise, we recommend the rooms that face the rear of the building, which are really quiet.