Hall Chiado
US$204
US$184
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Oeiras(Lisbon)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$267
US$224
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewscork floorskey coderoom worksclean modern roomsportuguese tilesgreat locationthe airport bus stopcomplimentary bottled watercais do sodreyour luggageshort walkinner courtyardbars and restaurantsgreat place to stay in lisbonno elevatorroom numberstayed here for two nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Hall Chiado provides what a vacationist-traveler needs - an 8-minute walk (with luggage in tow) from the Airport bus last stop, another 8-minute walk to Bairro Alto where all the nice bars are located, a bus stop just outside the place, and many more. The rooms are super clean and well-maintained with a very quiet and cool A/C - just what one needs after a day of touring in lovely Lisbon. Wifi too is free, with a strong signal.

It advertises itself 'This is not a hotel' but my wife and I are ok with it. Sans the hotel staff, it is actually better than most hotels. You get unlimited bottles of water (except if some greedy guest hoards the free bottled water at the entrance).

I would have been happier though if Hall Chiado had a mini-ref inside the bedroom so one gets cold water at the end of a busy day.

A tip to would-be guests - keep track of the address, esp the # at Rua Alecrim. Since Hall Chiado does not have a flag sign for awareness, one has to check the street numbering to find the place.

I am 100% certain to come back to Hall Chiado if my travels take me once again to Lisbon. I also recommend this to my fellow travelers.

(As of last count, I have posted 27 reviews, all on hotels, of which I got 22 helpful votes. I write my reviews as I see and experience them. I make it a point not to exaggerate both the good and the bad sides. So there.)

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the back side, which we had, would be preferred for less noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FMD88528
Marta G, Owner at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Guest,
I appreciate your comment. We too love to read honest critics, that help us improve.
The refrigerator issue has come up before a couple of times. We do have refrigerators in our family suites but not in the double rooms. Somehow we felt they were not so useful in our service concept, plus we didn't find any that would fit in the minimalistic design of the rooms. But I promise we will discuss this in our next operations meeting.
Thank you!

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We were really impressed with this hotel. It is much different to most other hotels in that there is no reception, you just get a pin code in your email and you get in. It has this boutique feel about it, there is only maybe a dozen rooms there or so. It is very modern, has a lovely interior design. The rooms were reasonably spacious. The kitchen was well stocked and actually useful.
Although there is no reception, the owners work in the office/shop next door, so you can still have a person to person contact if you wish.
The location is perfect, right in the centre,surrounded by all the restaurants and nightlife. The only annoying aspect of where the hotel was is the steep street... depends on where you are coming from or going to, you may have an easy stroll down hill or get a bit of a workout going up the hill, which isn't particularly fun when you're towing suitcases. But that was a minor gripe. I suggest if you are catching metro that you get off on Baixa/Chiado and not Cais Do Sodre.
The rooms were very clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable, bed sheets were nice. We were very happy with our stay. They also provide free bottled water downstairs in a basket. You just help yourself to as many as you like.

Marta G, Owner at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thanks a lot for your comment!
Your hint for the subway makes a lot of sense, we are half way, about 300m from two stations - Cais do Sodre and Baixa Chiado, the difference is that Cais do Sodre is down the street and Baixa Chiado is up the street, so you can select which one to use depending on if you are coming or going. Plus Baixa Chiado has direct access to two lines (blue and green), whereas Cais do Sodre only has access to the green line.
Hope to have you back one day.
All the best,

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Right in the middle of the city with connections to public transport, including the airport shuttle, only 3 minutes away.
Housed in an old but newly renovated building its hard to spot on a quick glance, no big neon sign.
The interior and the rooms are super clean, quiet and with modern facilities.
Although it doesn't have a "regular" reception desk, from morning to late night one can get information and friendly advice from the staff in the office at the ground floor.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Marta G, Owner at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Guest,
You are right. The sign of Hall Chiado on the building is discrete and may be difficult to detect from the street, especially at night. As Chiado is a historic area, the city hall imposes a lot of restrictions at the facade level. Our small little sign is all we were allowed to do. Perhaps we can improve the location instructions, since a restaurant opened right next door, Charcutaria, and a new barber shop is going to open soon on the other side of our door.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very central location. Extremely kind Marta will tell you all you need to know about Lisbon, including where to eat. Stylish rooms with cooking facilities. Family suite was great for us. No noise at night, although a little in the day from behind but nothing to overly worry about. Lovely hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Marta G, Owner at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice comment!
Me, Leonor and Sonia are always happy to recommend places to visit or restaurants. It is of course a bit based on our personal preferences.... I am so glad you enjoyed my suggestions! And for sure, there are a lot of great eating options at walking distance, in Chiado, Bairro Alto and Principe Real.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here with my sister for a weekend getaway and was greatly pleased. The hotel has great location, it is near all the great shops, near the tram, 10 min walk from the airport shuttle, 10 min from the metro station and walking distance from the lively night life.
The room was big, confortable, simple but modern decoration with little details which makes you feel welcomed.
Both of the owners where really happy to share some tips on where to eat and how to get there.
Overall, the hotel is the perfect mix for the independent traveler who is looking for a authentic experience of Lisbon!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BruMex29
Marta G, Owner at Hall Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful comment! It made our day!!
We really enjoy to talk to the guests that come to the office. Our tips are perhaps a bit guided by our personal preferences... I am so glad we were helpful.