“Nice room, good location, average service”

Casa Oliver Principe Real
Ranked #52 of 457 Speciality Lodging in Lisbon
Paris, France
“Nice room, good location, average service”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The room was really nice, very romantic, allegedly hand-painted by an old women, nice view over Praça Principe Real. It is situated at 3-5 min walk from Bairo Alto, the place to go out and have fun.
There was some problems we have experienced : our room was not ready (not cleaned) even if we arrived around 8PM, there was a problem with the reservation apparently. Our room was overlooking the place Principe Real and the noise during the night was unbearable.
The person who checked us in was really nice, try to reserve a room with windows overlooking the court not the street. The apartment is worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
cumbria uk
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We booked a suite which looked beautiful and then read trip advisor!!! Yes it happened to us too....the room we were shown to was small with inadequate fittings. When I tried to explain to Veronique she just spoke over me and was very arrogant. She finally offered us another room which was indeed a suite and was very beautiful. Unfortunately there were workmen above this room banging and drilling so it was impossible to stay there so we once again rang Veronique who showed us back to the original small dark room at the back of the building. Trying not to let this ruin our stay in Lisbon we unpacked our clothes onto the 4 clothes hangers we had each and piled the remainder onto the desk as this was the only available area to do so.Veronique gave us the code for the entry system which we had to write down on a scrap of paper, she gave us no other information what so ever........imagine our horror at arriving back at casa Oliver only to discover that the code was no longer working for the entry system!!! Fortunately another guest came along and let us in. I rang Veronique to ask why this had happened and she denied that the code had been changed, there was a lot of background noise so I asked if she could move somewhere quieter and she said that the whole building was noisy!!!!! I asked if she could go outside of the building and she refused.i then rang Expedia who called me back to say that the person who answered didn't speak English. We gave up and got on with our break and had a great time and fortunately all the other Portuguese people we met were lovely. We would never recommend casa Oliver to anyone we know. So as I noted earlier....buyer beware!!!!!!!

Room Tip: It's a lottery and you quite often don't get what you pay for
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank millwardCumbriaUk
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We loved staying here. Our room was beautiful and large with the most amazing decorated walls and ceiling in typical Portuguese style. Walking distance from Bairo Alto and other amazing suburbs. You can find affordable delicious food in the small backstreets.Casa Oliver is right across from a main bus stop. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012
Bordon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is an old house converted into rooms and a couple of suites; our suite on the ground floor had ample sized rooms with very high ceilings. The fittings and fixtures were modern, the bed was large and comfortable, the bathroom was sumptuous (although the shower was leaking in our room) and the décor was to a high standard.

The location is charming, opposite a park (Jardim do Príncipe Real) and close to the city centre.

Be aware you need to call the number given in your booking around half an hour before you are due to arrive - there are no on-site staff or reception people, someone will arrive to give you your key and show you to your room. You will be given a security code for the hotel entrance - don't lose it !

There is a 'public' room on the upper floor offering coffee; it is a place to relax in comfort and read or play chess.

We stayed only one night but would **definitely** stay here again and at €50 per night for a Lisbon city centre location the price and quality is hard to beat.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 which is a suite: bedroom, bathroom, sitting room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevinfff
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Casa Oliver is great when you don't expect an hotel lobby and you like to walk a bit up the hill. Its in a beautiful house in front of the Park 'Principe Real' what makes it nice but also a bit (5min walk up the hill) outside of the old town. I liked my stay even there were some problems. When I arrived at the house nobody was there to let me into the house, i ringed at the door but nobody opened. So I called with my foreign mobile phone the number at the adress of the confirmation. After trying for several times somebody answered and promised to be at the house in 15 - 30 minutes. Ok, so i was waiting with all the lugage in front of the house for around 25 minutes. Then the "Receptionist" showed up, let me into the house and wanted to give me the room on the ground floor. I told him that i booked the Suite and from the pictures i guess it must be on an upper floor. He argued with me that this couldnt be and the room on the ground floor was mine. He also explained me that there was no internet in this room, i would have internet on the 2nd floor in the "lobby" (what basicly is a room without windows in the 2nd floor). After many arguments he was willing to give me a normal room on the 2nd floor. I told him that i booked the suite and i was expecting the room with the same images it was show on booking.com. He told me that this images are just example and only 1 room in this building is like this. After more discussions he accepted that i stay for 1 night in the normal room and that we'll find another solution the next day or I'll go to another hotel. The next day i was talking to a nice lady on the phone, the management office, and she offered me the option to move to the suit for the last 3 nights including a little discount. I accepted that.
I have to say that the room (and i'm only talking about the suites) are really really nice and i'd definitely book them again. FOR YOUR INFORMATION only room 1 and 2 are suites. The other rooms are regular rooms even if they maybe charge you for a suite. So pay attention!

There is a cleaning lady coming every day. You get 2 codes for access into the building and your room, if you forget or loose them - in night nobody lets you in!
The shower was annoying because its quite difficult to set the right water temperature and always when you use water there is a very loud noise.

Room Tip: Room 1 and 2 are suites and really nice! The other room are the price not worth!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank raf84zh
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 May 2013

You could hardly ask for a better location in Lisbon. The trendy Principe Real area and Bairro Alto are minutes away at walking distance, plenty of stores of all sorts.
Beautiful apartment big apartment with 7-8 rooms. My room was in the back, very quiet and with a fantastic view.
All is new and very clean. There's one shared refrigerator for all guests, coffee making facilities.

I booked through hotels.com and did not expect to have to sign another contract upon my arrival, with a list of charges/penalties (e.g. leaving your trash behind gets you fined for 50 euros, you're supposed to take it out and dispose it in the street). It would be nicer if ALL the terms of the contract would be disclosed at the time of buying the package.
It is advised to call about 1 hour before arriving at destination to meet the agent. My agent was over 1 hour late, and waiting with bags out in the sun is no fun.

Room Tip: Beware that check-out is at 11am, so if you have a late pm flight you might be stuck with your bags...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Luc M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Staff was friendly and helpfull. The room was well decorated and confortable.Loved our stay and will come back! Very central area, with access to downtown either by foot or bus. Posh area, with coffee shops and night life 5 minutes away.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo