“Excellent hotel, great service, location bit out of centre.”

EPIC SANA Lisboa Hotel
Ranked #14 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
Wales
“Excellent hotel, great service, location bit out of centre.”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a very good hotel. Our rooms were large and spotlessly clean with nice touches, great shower, coffee machine, evening chocolates, wifi, very comfy beds etc. All public areas also similarly of high standard and the rooftop pool was great-( though more daybeds would have been better as it got quite busy). Breakfast was excellent, very wide selection of food, all delicious, and very courteous staff who were always on hand to top up with drinks etc. The only slight downside is the location, this is not really city centre as such. Public buses are located closest by and then metros a walk downhill ( which then becomes uphill on the return leg). It is very well located for the park and several museums at the top of the city however. In the evening it's really a walk or metro to get back into the city as there is not that much directly nearby the hotel if you want a variety of options for food and bars etc in the evening. There is a shopping mall very close by, but it's standard shops and fodder really, though it does have a comprehensive supermarket.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

After reading lots of wonderful reviews, we decided to stay here.

The staff are really welcoming and friendly, and the hotel is very modern and clean. The reception area can get quite busy, there were a few times where we waited around 5-10 minutes to speak to someone and there were occasions when I tried to call reception and got no answer which I think is very poor.

When we booked the hotel we requested a cot, and when we checked in around 3pm we asked for a cot to be put in our room. This did not happen. I had to call them 3 further times to get this done so this was a real pain on our first night after travelling with a baby. It eventually arrived after 8 o clock which is not really acceptable considering we wanted to put our little one to sleep at 7.

The rooftop pool is fantastic, all be it a bit small but that's expected in a city. There is very limited space around it so getting a sun lounger or chair is pretty hard work. People revert to laying on the floor.

The spa area is wonderful, nice and clean and the facilities excellent. Lovely pool area, but again there doesn't seem to be enough loungers and chairs.
A big dissapointment about the indoor pool was that children are not allowed. This was not once mentioned to us at all, untill we took our baby down there. I don't agree with this at all, and personally think it is quite unfair. Had we known this before we made our booking, we would not have chosen to stay at the Epic Sana.
Fair enough that's the rule, but at least we could have been told when we checked in by the member of staff at reception rather than getting to the pool and being turned away.

The breakfast buffet is good, with plenty of choice and the rooms are nice, modern and clean.
The views can be a little uninspiring. You can walk to main square in around 20 minutes, but it is quite tough on the way back because of the hill.

We were left chocolates in our room everyday which is a lovely touch.

There is a good shipping centre around the corner with a supermarket which is great, especially with a little one.

All in all I was very dissapointed with our stay. I expected much more.
In some areas the service was excellent, in some very poor.

I would not stay here again, even if I came without my family

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank NeilPatel84
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I am currently staying at this hotel and there's not even a small thing I could complain about. My biggest impression is stuff. Starting from a warm welcome at the reception, room service to person nel in the restoraunt. Out of 5 stars I give for this hotel, 4 go to employees! The most kind and proffesional stuff I've seen! You will not wait even a few seconds when you need something at the breakfast and that the waiter isn't already by your table. Food is excellent. Rooms are spacious and very quiet, I sleept like a baby here. Rooftop swiming pool is very small but the roof terace is very beutiful and has awesome view over the city and the ocean. You can eat here, and offcourse have a drink. SPA is big with swimming pool much bigger than that on the rooftop, with sauna and steem bath. Gym is more equiped that in any other hotel I've been and it can satisfy even the need of a bodybuilder, open 24/7.
This is my first visit to Portugal, and I have to say that I believe that Portugeese people are extremly kind people and almost everyone speeks english with very good accent.
If I come again to Lisbon, EPIC SANA will be my choice again!
My best regards to all employeea of Epic Sana!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ivan D
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The large, modern room (and bathroom) were very nicely laid out and clean. I enjoyed all the gadgets in the room (blinds open when you enter room, TV is set back behind mirror, etc.). They also include a couple bottles of water. The bed was comfortable. The service was helpful and friendly, from the front desk to the restaurant. Most spoke English fluently (and helped us with our Portuguese). The breakfast buffet is definitely worth it. We also a enjoyed a delicious dinner in the restaurant. The pool, spa and sauna area on -1 are worth a visit. The massage I had in the spa was excellent and much relief after walking up and down all the hills in Lisbon. Overall an exceptional experience. *My only caveat would be the location if you are just straight-up touring Lisbon for the first time. It requires a bit of an effort to get to the center, but doable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
wrexham wales
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My fiancée & I have just returned from Lisbon having stayed at the hotel for 10 nights. To begin with I shall focus on the positives: 1) The infinity pool located on the roof is beautiful. 2) The decor of the hotel in general is tasteful & contemporary. 3) During our stay we experienced several 'nice touches'. An example of which includes small chocolates being delivered to our room every day. 4) The hotel staff were helpful & nothing was too much trouble. 5) The room/communal areas were very clean. The negatives are as follows: 1) The hotel is located up quite a steep hill & may not suit someone with mobility problems. 2) The upscale bar near the pool was very expensive (€10 for half a litre of beer). 3) On our last day, a couple accessed our room; I can only assume a technical error had occurred displaying our room as vacant? Fortunately, my fiancée was stood nearby the door dressed in her robe but it could have been an extremely embarrassing situation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellingfatcat
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here with my family for 8 days in July. Firstly the hotel is very impressive -the decor is amazingly stylish and luxurious and all the staff were so friendly and helpful as soon as we arrived. The rooms were equally brilliant especially the TV! The shower was really good and powerful however the bathroom is very open plan even in a twin room so there isn't much privacy! We were given fresh towels everyday and if you ever needed more there was always hundreds of fresh towels in the spa! Every evening someone came round the rooms and gave out canopies and a glass of champagne which was amazing and also lots of water and nespresso which was all complimentary! Another brilliant aspect of the hotel was the spa and rooftop pool. The rooftop pool was really impressive and although it did get busy quickly, the staff were very attentive and they would put you on a waiting list and give you a bed/ lounger as soon as one was free. The spa downstairs was less busy and there was always free loungers - the changing rooms in the spa were truly exquisite, each locker had its own towelling robe slippers and towels and the shower cubicles all had sinks. The design was really original! I also loved the gym as it never got too full, had top of the range equipment and again plenty of towels water and fruit! The hotel is also in a good location although it's not right In the centre it's a short walk from the centre and it's also a 5 minute walk from amoreiras shopping centre which had all the shops you needed and the best sales (zara, mango, massimo dutti etc). Beds were also really comfy, and wifi was good and strong- if I left the hotel it would automatically reconnect as soon as I came back in and also worked on the rooftop pool! This was without a doubt one of the best hotels I have stayed in and was definitely worth 5*. The staff were especially lovely. They were so helpful and so friendly. I could not fault them! some of the guests were very rude which was disappointing but the waiters always stayed professional which I would have found hard to do! Also the rooms were very clean and there was plenty of everything! I would definitely recommend this amazing hotel!

Room Tip: Get a room on a high level - I liked the views even though it was just big buildings often the sunse...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We loved are stay in the Epic Sana . Staff were really friendly . Our room was well serviced bright a spotlessly clean .. At first we couldn't find our way with some of the gadgets in the room very high tech .. Actually fond them to be a bit annoying rather than a luxury ..
The roof top pool was gorgeous except you would have needed to be up at eight in the morning to get a lounger they had amazing day beds but to be honest they took up too much space and left very little room .. I ended up just lying on the deck .. rather uncomfortable .. Think they could do more with the space ...especially the bottom area in the daytime could have had more beds .. Also the Drinks were over priced they charged me 650 euro for a small glass of still water ... Overpriced to the point hardly anyone was drinking anything ... Don't get that . if the drinks were slightly cheaper they might have had more of a crowd been a better vibe in the evening ..also felt they could have had a DJ Was a bit of a damp squid such a amazing space views over the city ..they need to employe someone to work on a concept for it missing a trick ...could be Fabulous with the rite music and atmosphere ..
The hotels position was a bit out were you want to be ended up a lot of taxis and buses ..you could have walked but the hill was steep ... But if your fit and well not be a bother ... I couldn't .. So was quite costly taxiing everywhere ... Lisbon was awesome and we spent 9 days in the hotel & I could have stayed fabulous ...

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple