“Sublime sunset cruise”

US$51.33*
and up
Historical Boat Tour from Lisbon
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy our Lisbon historical boat tours on a staggering private wooden yacht. Leaving from Alcantara harbour, we sail down to Belem Tower and up to Alfama, the amazing old town, so you can appreciate the picturesque and colourful Lisbon and its monuments. While sailing, you can choose from staying on a sheltered living room, with windows all around, just roam or sit in the front, on comfortable deck chairs, as you only find on Halcyon I. Up to eighteen guests, open groups on Saturday's sunsets, private groups all over the week. You choose the departing hour. We hoist all sails, whenever possible. These two hours historical guided tours in English, French or Spanish, may be a great help on planing your visit to Lisbon. We also have a full day cruise to Cascais, lunch included, and a more than three days charter to Arrabida Natural Park. Private.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
The Hague, The Netherlands
563 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 714 helpful votes
“Sublime sunset cruise”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Note - the Halcyon is moored in the Alcantara docks near a deserted small building named Lisboa Vista del Tejo. Taxi drivers often know this building (ours did), making it easier for them to take you there. Otherwise they are quite close to the turning bridge - and skipper Luis will come to look for you on his bicycle, too.

Best way to book is to call Luis on his mobile. He speaks English very well.

The Halcyon is a lovely old sailing ship with an authentic Dutch labeled barometer in the cabin. Luis and his sons take your party of up to eight people on a terrific sunset cruise on the Tejo river along all the landmarks from the tower of Belem to the Praca do Comercio. The drinks and nibbles provided are adequate but could perhaps be slightly more refined. Sitting in the sun on the deck with a beer riding the waves is unbeatable though.

Afterwards we were brought by Luis to his favorite nearby restaurant for dinner. This was a success as well.

Visited August 2014
Luis C, Owner at Halcyon I Lisbon Boat Tours, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
Didn't know the barometer was labeled in Dutch. Bought from ebay.
We always believed Halcyon I would be a great family activity.
Take a look to the photo we posted and send us an email if you want it removed.
Glad you liked Maravilhas.
PS: Will improve on the cava and nibbles.
Cheers
Luis

Aarhus, Denmark
“Excellent intro to Lisbon”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We went for an evening cruise with Luis and Andre in August and had a wonderful time. We were left to enjoy the sights and lovely cooling wind from the sea at times - and at other times Luis would tell about the sights and some history of Portugal.
The atmosphere was relaxed and it felt like we were sailing with friends.

I would recommend this to anyone who is coming to Lisbon and would like a intro to the city. Seeing the city from the river was an eyeopener and left us keen to explore the city even further.

Visited August 2014
Luis C, Owner at Halcyon I Lisbon Boat Tours, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
We try to mix between some knowledge about Lisbon and leaving guests alone, so they enjoy the sailing.
Hope to have you again on Halcyon I.
Groningen, The Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great birthday cruise”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Together with my family we went on the 2h (which became 2.5h) sunset cruise for my birthday. It was a wonderfull cruise. We got some nibbles, sparkling wine, beer and cokes and of course a wonderfull view. The boat is great and the staff is very friendly. We got the opportunity to drive the boat and Luis told us a lot about Lisbon. Tip for the evening: bring a jacket or vest cause it gets little chilly at the end. If you are looking for a place to have dinner ask Luis, he'll bring you to a nice local portugese restaurant. Very recommended overall!

Visited August 2014
Luis C, Owner at Halcyon I Lisbon Boat Tours, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you very much for your excellent review.
Good to know you had a happy birthday and enjoyed Maravilhas.
Is one of my favorites.
Valley Forge
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Simply Delightful”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Thankfully our cab driver actually knew Luis, because otherwise it may have been difficult to find, but Luis has his bike ready to find you at the dock, where you are dropped off. We went right at sunset--we got to see all the sights while sun was still up and then see sun go down, with sparkling wine, smoked salmon, foie gras, and cheese. Luis and his first mate were polite and friendly, both allowing us private time to chat and plenty of time to ask questions. Afterwards, we asked for a dinner suggestion and Luis took us to a place that we never would or could have found on our own for codfish/chips and duck/rice--two local specialties, at a price we never would have found on our own--I think it was the cheapest meal we had in Lisbon (even treating Luis).
Everything was just as other reviews have described. When it got cold, there were blankets provided. We went on our first night and got lots of recommendations for other things to do and see. We went as three friends on a milestone birthday, but I could see it as a romantic getaway, a family tour, or a group gathering.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank MRuss82799
Luis C, Owner at Halcyon I Lisbon Boat Tours, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderfull review.
Actually, Vasco is the only taxi driver I know in Lisbon and it was a great chance that you took his cab.
Thank you for the dinner as well. Enjoyed very much.
For me, it was a day I will never forget.
Hope you liked Oporto and the Douro river as well.
Cheshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous sunset cruise!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Having incurred the slight mishap of breaking my foot (oops!) a week before my mum & I were due to travel from the UK for a short weekend break in Lisbon, we had a last minute change of plan for our trip. We were extremely lucky to discover this wonderful sunset cruise ! As it was fairly short notice we were only able to book this as a private trip as opposed to the group of 8, and therefore it was quite pricey, but it was a fabulous treat and worth every penny!!

Luis assured us that the broken foot would be no problem as long as I was not too heavy! and I was able to access the boat fairly easily, although I have to admit it's not ideal if you are suffering a similar kind of injury (I was lucky to have youth on my side and a fairly high pain threshold so navigating the wooden steps up was not too difficult - although i think in extreme circumstances Luis and Juan (i think this is the correct name!) would have happily helped in lifting me up to the boat if i had needed to.

Having got on to Halcyon 1 - which is a wonderful traditional wooden sailing boat - we were led to the deck where there were deckchairs so we could sit comfortably and enjoy the evening sunshine. (If you would rather sit inside this beautiful boat that is an option too.) We were delighted to be brought a lovely chilled bottle of sparkling rosé and potato chips for our journey along the River Tagus. It was so nice to sit out in the sunshine seeing all the sites on offer. A little bit longer in to the trip we were treated to some delicious canapés which was a really nice surprise, and when we had finished our first bottle of wine Luis did not hesitate to offer us another. We were extremely well looked after.

Luis and Juan were both lovely to chat with and very knowledgeable about the surroundings and spoke to us about the monuments we could see which was very interesting so as well as being relaxing our trip was very factual!

My only slight criticism would be that we didn't get enough time talking to Luis and Juan as they seemed very busy - but there is so much to do on a proper sailing boat that this is no fault of their own.

One other point that has been raised by other guests is the difficulty in finding where Halcyon 1 is docked as the taxi drivers don't seem to know the location. The first taxi dropped us off at the eating places at the marina a few miles away, the second took us to the art gallery. It was in fact very near to the gallery down some steps had i been more mobile but as i couldn't walk this was still too far away. Luis can recommend a taxi service who know him well so i would advise that you use this particular company to save the hassle of getting lost. Luis was great at coming to find us on his bike once we were in the vicinity of the boat.

I can't recommend this trip enough if you want a memorable experience - it was a perfect way to see lots of Lisbon in a short space of time without being cooped up on a tour bus.

Thank you so much Luis for welcoming us on to your fabulous boat and making us feel so comfortable. I would definitely do this trip again if i was to come with my boyfriend, family, or group of friends.

Visited July 2014
Luis C, Owner at Halcyon I Lisbon Boat Tours, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you very much for your long and so nice review.
Hope you are OK with your foot now.
We try to leave our guests alone for some moments, so they have some time on their own, while apreciatting the quietness of sailing.
Hope to have you back soon.
Cheers