“Lovely location ------rubbish food”

Restaurant Botequim Do Rei
Ranked #3,143 of 4,112 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: European, Portuguese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Glasgow, Scotland
“Lovely location ------rubbish food”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We were attracted to this nice location with a pond outside with black and white swans so we entered the resturant inside and were given menus all very well, and a minute later a waiter came across and said the menus were for eating outside and gave us 2 other menus."A sure sign they were ready to make a kill" , however they were not too expensive and we ordered drinks and dinners both with sirlion steaks and chips with salad they arrived and the waiter seen I was struggling to cut my steak and changed the knives to steak knives ..by this time my wife said she couldn eat hers as it was like like the soles of Charlie Chaplins boots and I joked to say well remember" to spit out the nails" ....after another attempt she called the waiter to say it was "DURO" hard and uneatable ..however I struggled on having to take out my smallplate with 3 teeth as i didnt want to swallow it as I really had to chew it and really I should also have returned it ....she had her steak replaced with a small piece of veal and half the size of the steak and the mushroom trimmings vanished so we finished our drinks and asked for the bill which was presented with the full price of the 2 steak dinners 45 Euros with not a word of apology..needless to say I never left a dime tip ..SO BEWEARE ..you wont see us back at this establishment ..the only bad thing of our Lisbon week!!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank gm3itn

Prague, Czech Republic
“Casual, Calm and Satisfying”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This is a restaurant I wish we'd found on our first day in Lisbon, not our last, because we'd have kept going back, just to relax. At the top of Parque Eduardo Vii, it has a great little duck pond with plenty of ducks and geese, it's quiet and sunny, and the service is terrifically friendly and attentive.

The food is casual, but the menu crosses all the borders, and everything is fresh and well prepared, from fruit salads to fish, to burgers and fries. Very, very fairly priced, as well.

If you are staying in this area, off Marques de Pombal (where there are plenty of hotels) then this could be your respite at the end or in the middle of a long day, and also a great place to start from, with excellent coffee and a light breakfast menu.

When nothing special is done in a special way, that's special. Botequim Do Rei is that kind of place. Enjoy!

• Visited June 2013