We stopped at this apartment in January 2014 for 3 days. Paulo, the owner, is extremely friendly, speaks good English and went out of his way to ensure we enjoyed our stay. He gave us a complementary bottle of wine when we arrived and he also allowed us to stay in the apartment right until we were ready to leave for the airport. Paulo picked us up from the airport without charging us, and for 15 euros also dropped us off back there at the end of our stay.
The things we liked –
- Decent sized apartment – OK for 2, but would be a little cramped but not impossible for 4
- New furniture and fittings of a very good standard
- Very clean
- Friendly and helpful owner – and lots of guidance of where to visit
- Close to restaurants, local shops and bus routes
- Super location on a relatively quiet cobbled alleyway (near the Fado Museum)
- Only 10 minutes’ walk from cathedral and castle
- Bus stop only 3 minutes away (buses cost euro 1.80, regardless of length of journey)
- Some good restaurants nearby (best is Casanova Italian Restaurant near Santa Apolonia station)
We liked least – very little
- We went in winter and the apartment was only heated by one portable electric heater
- There is an apartment upstairs, which has wooden floors, and a shared stairwell from the front door, and the guests there were quite noisy during our stay
We would definitely recommend this apartment and would gladly stay here again.