“Very low budget hotel”

Hotel Princesa Lisboa Centro
Ranked #228 of 253 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 1 August 2014

First of all, my compliments to the hotel staff who tried to make our lives agreeable despite the appalling condition of the building. Upon arrival we were assigned two rooms on the 4th floor with a very distinct sewage stench. After complaining at reception we were given 2 other rooms : mine was again on the 4th floor and had the same disgusting smell coming from the bath tub. I was again whanged to a room on the 1st floor at the back of the building with no view at all and with broken locks on the windows. For the whole 7 nights I stayed there I couldn't open a window, scared that someone would break in as the area is rather rough and poor. My daughter and her friend were given a so-called renovated room on the 4th floor but only 1 wall plug worked, the TV was out of order, there was no real airconditioning, no hair dryer and one night lamp was broken, but we didn't dare to complain again, afraid that we would get another 'stench' room. For breakfast we needed to queue; as the breakfast room is tiny. There is no wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby (2 chairs) and the breakfast room. Again my compliments to the sweet breakfast lady who tried to please all of us in spite of the circumstances and to the maid who cleaned our rooms every day. We knew this was a budget hotel but we didn't expect it to fall apart. An advantage to this hotel is the bus stop in front of the hotel entrance, going to the city centre.

Room Tip: sewage smell on the 4th floor; front rooms are noisy
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sillaSchoten
There are newer reviews for Hotel Princesa Lisboa Centro

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We chose this hotel for its unique Portuguese flavor and we were not disappointed. It was inexpensive yet had all the necessary perks we needed. The hotel staff were so helpful and kind. The breakfast was more than anticipated. We were given directions that we could understand and overall, we very much enjoyed our stay. The room had double beds that were European style -- side by side, it had only one plug for our appliances, but that's okay. There was a large cupboard for hanging clothes with a small dressing room. The bathroom was larger than expected and had plenty of water pressure and hot water.
Thank you to the staff who helped us navigate and who suggested a wonderful place to see a Fado.

Room Tip: Our room number was 214 which was on the quieter side. The other side of the hotel had more traffic...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Bed a bit hard. Street a bit noisy. Standard breakfast. Good price though at 35 Euros for a double room. Getting to the city is easy from the bus outside the hotel or easy enough walk. Getting to and from the city it is about a 10minute walk then about a 20minute bus ride to the airport.

Room Tip: Wifi only works from level 1 for us, lift is a bit dodgy, i think most rooms would be street facing...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I like the Princesa Hotel and Tea for the following reasons:
- it's a clean and simple budget hotel
-good value for money
-24 hour reception
-good breakfast,
-easy to get to from the airport by bus
-close to interesting things in Lisbon
- in a great neighbourhood of central-ish Lisbon
-really nice staff
-good access for suitcases as it has a ramp and an elevator
-good shower and bathroom
- comfortable bed

Room Tip: We had room 106, nice view over the local neighbourhood and also had wi-fi.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gleeglee
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This hotel was a cheapie for a quick city break - I paid just £90 for 3 nights B&B for family of 3, so bear in mind expectations were not palacial. The hotel is quite well placed for eateries and bus service and taxis are plentiful and cheap in Lisbon. The hotel had WiFi in communal areas and breakfast was great albiet simple. The rooms were old with old carpets but were cleaned daily and they seemed to do a decent enough job. Staff were friendly and helpful. At that price point and given it is 2-star I'd give it a thumbs up and would stay there again for sure.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Craig R
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was assigned to travel to Portugal on a business trip, and in a very short time frame I had to book an hotel, being very limited with my budget. After some time searching, I have found this Hotel, that actually took a whole weight from my shoulders. I manage to proceed to the booking, for only 68EUR / two nights. As always, I check TripAdvisor's reviews in order to get a glimpse of what shall expect. I must say I was somehow surprised, since this is a 2-star hotel only. I have read some very positive reviews, and I was decided to check-in, and try it out. After coming from the airport, late at night, I took a cab tot he hotel, and I manage to find the hotel quite easily. Situated in a cozy zone of the beautiful city that is Lisbon, I saw a nice facade, inviting me to come in. I was welcomed by a warm and sympathetic receptionist, that politely gave me all the instructions. I was not surprised by the space of the lobby, since I am familiar with the old traditional Lisbon buildings. The elevator is also old, but seemed to be in superb condition. I was allocated a room at 4th floor, with the look for the back view. I must say It was the best option, since there was no noise at all during my two-day stay. I loved the clean and tidy room! Starting in the bed, and finishing in the bathroom, my evaluation spotted no flaw. With nice lighting, an awesome bed, and a good television, I really enjoyed the room, even it was small. To be honest, I was not looking for a big room, and it was really what I needed. The only flaw I could find in the room was a missing locker. It was told to me that the room would contain a room locker, but once I wanted to put my valuables in the locker, I was not able to find it. I talked to the receptionist, and they told me that that was the only room that did not have one. I was offered to keep my valuables within the reception locker with no additional costs. That was also cool. The breakfast was also very good. With no much selection, one has everything needed to start the day right perfectly. Coffee, milk, juice, bread, ham & cheese, yogurt and some cakes and fruits were in place for starving guests. During the night, I manage to purchase a beer from the reception fridge, and I enjoyed for some time the wireless internet provided only at the lobby and the dinner/breakfast areas. For me, it was not important to have internet at the room, so all in all, I really enjoyed the stay. To get to the center, you have several options. From Taxi, to bus, even Metro, all is very close, if you follow your maps, or the receptionist advises. I would recommend this hotel to every youngster traveling to Lisbon, any business traveller, or even families and couples. Cheap, good and efficient. Looking for visiting it next time!

Room Tip: Backside of the hotel seems to be good since there is no noise or what so ever. If possible, ask for...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank M O
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This Hotel has some very good points. pros-breakfast is rich and various, and location is within easy rich of central Lisbon (tip:don't take the Metro to get to and from the center,as the stations are quite a walk , at least 12 minutes,and uphill, get the 760 bus from outside the station and you'll be in central Lisbon, Rossio, tram 28 terminal, barrio Alto all in about 20-30 minutes!)staff is helpful and provided us with many little extras upon request- corker and ice, espresso from the breakfast room at anytime, luggage storage, travel advice, room was clean and tidied daily. Now for the cons- our room was actually quite small, with only one socket in the toilet and one in the room itself where the tv was plugged. safety box has a separate charge of 1.50 per day. Overall a good honest hotel and good value for money, I would recommend it for a couple who wants to make the most of a short stay in Lisbon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple