Bairro Alto Hotel
Ranked #20 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Very nice boutique hotel in the city center of Lisboa. Arrived there with a group, check-in was well prepared and went well and quick. Hotel is located in the middel of the old town and has many things to see close by. WiFI went well, but is really costly. Breakfast was perfect, lots of fresh fruits, fresh and delicious bakery. Sleeping comfort was excellent! Bathroom also very modern and bnicely decorated.

Not so good ...
Had pre-booked a "finger-food-style-dinner", but the service was very poor. It took ages till the drinks for 12 people arrived, the they just but the wine bottles down (no glasses yet) and we had to serve ourselves and constantly call the waiter if we wanted to re-order. Which took quite a while. But the food was good, so it was just a minor thing.
Personally I didn't like the dress code the people working in the hotel were following ... it was very modern, for the ladies it was nice. The men rather looked like jumping on their skateboard any second. In combination with the service, which was not the fastest, it just caught my eye.

Overall
Highly recommended hotel in the city center, also nice restaurants close by. Perfect for a city trip, for business and private trips.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tasha-on-tour
BAH_Manager, General Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Tasha-on-tour,

Please trust your comments were of major importance to us.

We have promptly identified the situation and the issue regarding lack of service. We are truly sorry for your experience regarding the Bar. We have all analised the situation and agreed it could never had happened.
Please accept our most sincere apologies.

Nevertheless, we are extremely thankful for being kind enough to still recoomend us and send your great feedback about staff and the hotel itself.

Mit freundlischen Gruessen,
Jorge Cosme - General Manager - Bairro Alto Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Small and very nice boutique hotel in the middle of the town, the location is just perfect. Very friendly staff, the service was very good, rooms a bit small but nicely decorated and clean. The only little setback was that WiFi was not working, however I would always go back to this hotel when in Lisbon.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katamete
BAH_Manager, General Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Katamete,

Greetings from Lisbon!

We thank you for your great feedback about the Bairro Alto Hotel, location, service and above all the Staff!

On beahlf of my team, we wish you all the best for your voyages!

General Manager - Bairro Alto Hotel

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Love this hotel! its very nice, located in the center, heart of lisbon. Love the restaurant! they serve very good food, their bar in the ground floor, and another bar in the roof deck, which is better a good view of the city. Everything is perfect. Except for the wifi. Its pricey. if you purchase an internet card, its good for only 1 computer. they should do something about that. But overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. Awesome!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank kitty g
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Fantastic location which really gives you a taste of Bairro Alto and Chiado. The staff was superb and attentive to every need. The rooms were nice, clean and roomy.
This would be my first choice in going back to Lisbon.

Room Tip: try to get a room away from the main square
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
BAH_Manager, General Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Dear Mr. Matt D,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the Tripadvisor community.
we wish you all the best when travelling!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2012

I booked over the telephone in Bairro Alto Hotel for my New year celebration 2012, for 3 nights for which I gave my credit card details for Euros 324 per night,I found this charges very high compared to hotels like the Fabulous Ritz Four Seasons in Lisbon,so I asked the booking lady that why is your rates so high,so she replied that " because we are centrally located that's why" but after visiting Lisbon personally I accessed that I should stay in the Majestic "Ritz Four Seasons Hotel" only & Bairro Alto hotel is according to me only a 2 star hotel & not a five star at all as what they claim it to be & will be an insult to compare this hotel with the awesome truly Deluxe 5 star hotel "Ritz Four Seasons" further their rate was Euros 295 per night also the taxi takes only Euros 4 to reach were Bairro Alto Area for Bar's & action,so I told them that I would be checking out next day itself & this I confirmed before checking In the hotel personally with the Receptionist Guy,but next day the cheap drama which I expected from a cheap Hotel & cheap staff of hotel to behave with me started & they were like beggars arguing for me to pay the full charges of my stay or atleast some amount,I only kept saying that I told that I will be checking out next day at the time of checking In itself,infact the credit card details which I provided them at the time of booking was the type,which could not be charged with my PIN no as it was a WEB online Credit only other wise they would have charged my card without even confirming with,so you READERS can now decide yourself about the Justice & stay away from such cheap 2 Star hotel that is my honest suggestion,rest is for you to decide.

Room Tip: Choose this hotel only & only if you get room rate on peak seasons for €80 per night & non...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Faiyaz K

Dear Mr. Faiyaz,

Greetings from Lisbon.

We are conscious of the fact that not all people like the same type of hotels. In fact the possibility of choice is the most wonderful thing in the World.

Bairro Alto Hotel is in fact a 5 star hotel - boutique style (as per both Portuguese and EU legislation) and since we opened (6 years ago) we never pretended to be any other style of hotel.

We have collected several awards along the years and we are a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World - most probably the best Chain in the World for independent hotels - since we opened, but the best award for us are all the comments we have from our clients in Tripadvisor and other platforms.

In fact we consider Tripadvisor the best consultant for all the Travelers in the World. Maybe if you had made a brief visit to this website before booking our hotel, you could have avoided your frustration of choice.

We could talk about your 24 hours in our lovely hotel, from our perspective, but as you might understand we choose not to do that. we totally respect your comment and choice.

The only thing we will do is to clarify some things to all the travellers that will read your comment and could be misled from your opinion.

All the hotels are different and therefore all the price policies are also different. The price you had on the only night you stayed with us was 270,00 Euros and not the price you mentioned.

In any part of the World it is understood, New Year’s Eve, as a special evening, therefore we merely said (not begged!) we would charge for this late cancelation as per our cancellation policy – as stated in our verbal & written confirmation of the reservation, but our Front Office Manager, immediatly realized you did not wanted to go ahead with the agreement (not informing us any particular reason) and immediately waived any agreed charge for non-staying nights.

Additionally, let me just remind you Sir, you really did not informed us – on check-in – you would like to leave our hotel, as I was myself actually on site with the Front Office staff that specific moment (after I greeted you on arrival!), and if we knew in advance you wanted to leave us and cancel some agreed nights we would even assist you with your booking at any specific hotel in Lisbon or in Portugal as we usually do and we would be, gladly, more prepared to try to resell that bedroom on such an important night such as New Year’s Eve.

Location is in fact one of our very strongest values, therefore we have to mention this to costumers.

Nevertheless we hope you have enjoyed our beautiful city and we wish you a Happy New Year.

Kind Regards,

Jorge Cosme (General Manager) & All the Bairro Alto Hotel proud Team.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

It was a flying visit. Having spent a day playing golf at nearby Estoril my small party were not arriving at Bairro Alto until early evening, having a quick drink and then rushing out again to meet another golfing group for dinner. But in the short time I stayed it is obvious this is a hotel right out of the top drawer.

Right from arrival the reception staff are on hand to take care of everything, albeit somewhat quirkily dressed in their turtle neck sweaters. Having checked into our superbly appointed rooms we just had time to dash to the top floor to take in the roof top bar which offers a panoramic view over Lisbon before jumping into the lift and heading for the ground floor for welcoming drinks.

I must say I preferred the roof top bar as the small bar downstairs is aimed at those who want cocktails and music served loud, and sometimes the music is very loud indeed. But the staff are great and smile a lot. After two or three glasses of some of the excellent local red wines you will very soon find yourself smiling back.

I can't comment on the food at Bairro Alto as I only had the breakfast but that was excellent. Lots of freshly squeezed juices, delicious croissants and pastries and a cooked breakfast if you want it. The hotel is perfectly placed in the heart of old Lisbon so it is easy to explore many of the main sights.

Sadly I only had time to walk down the precipitous hill to the sea shore before returning to do some work before my cab arrived. Struggling to get onto the hotel Wifi a man from reception was despatched to sort out my problem which he duly did with the minimum of fuss.

My stay was far too short. But when I next go back to Lisbon, with more time to explore over a long weekend there is no doubt where I shall be staying. The small but quite excellent, Bairro Alto hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room on the upper floors to get the best view over the city.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review.
Have a great 2012!

Kind regards and Obrigado.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

Loved this hotel. The perfect boutique hotel. Rooms are small but cozy. Bed and linens are wonderful, so is the bathroom. Upstairs patio has a great view of the city, serves great drinks. Downstairs bar is hip for a late nightcap. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great location and the restraunt was very good.
Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Be prepared, this area gets very active at weekend nights. Our room was well insulated but could still make out some occassional street noise. This was only on Friday night, the other nights were just fine.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor. Staff is very accomidating.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple