“Fantastic boutique hotel with 5 star service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bairro Alto Hotel

Bairro Alto Hotel
Ranked #18 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
Sentosa Island, Singapore
“Fantastic boutique hotel with 5 star service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

I wasn't expecting to be impressed but impressed I was with the Bairro Alto Hotel. Every member of the young staff were friendly and eager to please. They will remember where you went for dinner last night (Ramiro for the best seafood ever!) and walk you to the door to give you directions when you are on your way out. Hotel was centrally located with a great bar in the basement as well as on the rooftop. Our room was impeccably clean and very chic. The bathroom is just beautiful with a standing bathtub. Maria at front desk said to me when we were checking out and leaving for our next destination- call us anytime if you get lost or need help. It's funny how these small details stay with you and cause you to remember a particular property fondly. Management must be proud to have such a great team of staff running the hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RG4ever
BAH_Manager, General Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Dear RG4ever,

Indeed I totally agree when you say management must be proud of the team. Indeed I am.

We are a (not so) small family and we do want to consider our guests as our own relatives and fiends visting us from time to time.

What Maria told you was indeed genuine, and that is why we are so proud of the young, enthusiastic but well experienced team we have gathered.

Thank you for your lovely comments. My team will know we are all on the right path!

The Bairro Alto Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I loved my 4 night stay at this wonderful hotel. The room was nice but what really stood out was the location and the outstanding service we received from the concierge desk ! Being a complete foodie I arrived with names of restaurants I wanted to eat at and every morning before heading out for the day I left the lovely gentlemen on the concierge desk my preferred restaurants so they could make reservations for us. They worked tirelessly to please us and left a lovely bottle of wine in the room for us to enjoy. The breakfast is also very good.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Joljol79
Dear Joljol79,

Hello from Lisbon.

Our Concierge colleagues (and everyone aover here) are proud after seeing your review.

Please do not forget to share your comments and preferences as far as restaurants are concerned with the rest of the Tripadvisor community. Only by sharing experiences like yours we will use this great social network and all its potential.

Grosse Pointe Far
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I spent a week in a Prestige Room, which is a fourth floor room with a balcony, and I would highly reccommend the hotel. The room was beautiful -- just as pictured on the website, and the service, including the availability of full room service from the hotel restaurant, was excellent. I particularly enjoyed being able to bring a chair out to the balcony to read at the end of the day and enjoy the breeze from the river.

The staff was extremely helpful and polite. One of the concierges was nice enough to explain how simple the trolley system is around the city and the fact that the yellow trolley that stops right outside the hotel can essentially be taken all over the city (and you can just hop back on at a zillion other stops along the way and eventually you'll end up back at the hotel). There's a pay one price ticket booth (five euros for unlimited trolley use per day) right across from the hotel. It was great information that made seeing the sites easier and more fun.

In short, my stay in Lisbon was great and if I went back I would definitely stay in the Bairro Alto again.

Room Tip: Fourth floor "prestige" rooms are the only ones with balconies.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear Katie N,

Thank you for sharing your bedroom suggestions with other travellers. I feel that all in all you did captured the essence of the Bairro Alto Hotel and the city itself.

I will always recommend the Yellow tram (#28) to explore the city. for sure it is a nice way to visit Lisboa and some of its hills! there is a stop nextdoor to the Bairro Alto Hotel...and besides we are located in the heart of the city there are plenty of more reasons to use tour lovely boutique hotel as base camp to start exploreing this unique city.

Sao Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

The hotel is well located and offers excellent service.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear John Debora Paz,

Thank you for your review!
All the best to São Paulo...a great city in a great Country.

Obrigado.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

I could just as easily titled this review "5 Star service at a Bargain" because it really does represent a wonderful value for such an exquisite property.

The Bairro Alto is truly a Magnificent hotel with exceptional service in a fantastic location and with very reasonable prices compared to other 5 Star Hotels. No detail is overlooked from the decor to the turndown service or the amenities. In fact, my stay at the Bairro Alto hotel was the highlight of an already amazing three week stay in Portugal. Great country, great city and great hotel.

Let me start with the hotel itself. The Bairro Alto is a 5 Star boutique hotel located in heart of the Bairro Alto district, which is to say near everything in the heart of the city. Lisbon is a vibrant historical city that is best seen by foot and the location of the hotel allows easy access to all this wonderful city has to offer from sight seeing, shopping or night life. Of course after visiting your room, you may not wish to leave. The rooms are tastefully appointed and quite spacious. Most of the rooms have tubs and the decor is romantic and warm.

The service is superlative and provided by a extremely competent staff that are fluent in a variety of languages yet intimately familiar with Lisbon and the local area. Whether assisting with luggage, arranging for a tour of the city, making a dining recommendation or even renting a car, the hotel staff were always willing to help. The expert local knowledge of the concierge was one of the aspects of my trip that made it so enjoyable. Through his recommendations, I were to experience several unique outings that I might otherwise have missed.

The hotel offers a bevy of other services and amenities to include fitness room and a complete menu of spa services. The staff massage therapists are absolutely amazing. There is a wine bar on the first floor that offers refreshment after a long day of sight seeing or shopping. Of course, no one can visit the Bairro Alto hotel without watching the sunset from the rooftop lounge. The Terrace bar is open daily from 12 noon till 10 at night. This in my opinion is the finest location in the city to enjoy a glass of nice Port and watch the sunset over the Tagus river.

The absolute crown jewel of the hotel though is the restaurant. Many hotel restaurants are simply an after thought, or provided simply for convenience. Not so with the Flores restaurant. I went out to eat at several other more expensive restaurants during my stay in Lisbon. All were quite a bit more expensive and most were not nearly as good. The convenience of not having to leave the hotel is a plus a well. The restaurant Flores is simply exceptional. The atmosphere is cozy and romantic, the service is exceptional, the prices unbelievably affordable and the food is superlative. I was even delighted by a personal visit from the chef who provided some of his expert opinions on food pairing with the local Portuguese wines.

This level of personalized service is rare, but is a common thread woven through every aspect of my stay at the Bairro Alto Hotel. I have traveled the world extensively and visited many hotels. Most are average, some exceptional and a select few that are simply legendary. The Bairro Alto hotel is easily one of the finest hotels that I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rye L
Dear JBishop001,

Hello. How are you Sir?
Well, for sure you have gave a great contribution for Tripadvisor!
Thank you for having the time to write down your great review! Thank you for sharing such great comments towards our country and city..and the Bairro Alto Hotel and its staff...

I would even dare to say that you have made more for Portugal and Lisbon and our economy with your text (that many people will access) than others with the "legal" responsability for boosting Tourism industry!

All the best for you and your family.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Yes, guys, our only criticism was the room was on the small side but everything else is great. The staff are sweet and rather flirty (my friend started as a 'princess' but ended as a 'queen') The hotel is situated in a lovely square quite close to the sea (actually a river but who's counting) which you can see in all its glory from the wonderful roof terrace bar. Don't worry too much about the size of the room (size, of course, is not everything) as it is very well equipped and the bathroom is actually quite large and extremely pretty with a gorgeous marble bath. Do go there....it has a wonderful feel good factor, great location and cute staff.....who could ask for anything more?

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jonathan a
BAH_Manager, General Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Mr. Jonathan A,

Thank you so much for your positive review about our staff, I will make sure they all read your comments and they will all feel great about it.

We are very happy that you and your friend understood and liked the way our team addresses to you during your stay in Lisbon.

Next time you visit us, you have to try other bedroom categories...We are sure you will find our Deluxe, Prestige and Suites the best in town in terms of space, size and decoration.

We wish you a great summer.
Bairro Alto Hotel - General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

Every member of the staff was warm, helpful, friendly and if it matters to you...everyone spoke English. They went out of their way to be helpful, even making sure the taxi drivers knew exactly where they were taking us and the shortcuts to take!

Wifi is expensive, but the LAN is free - staff will graciously bring up the cable.

The public areas - so cute and charming. Great use of space.

The breakfast service was lovely. Couldn't resist anything (tried), including the bottomless sparkling wine!

The rooms were Excellent, spotless. AC was super powerful. Bed and pillows better than W beds. And for the very first time (I travel a lot for work), I didn't check for bugs.

Loved the complimentary flip flops so much that I ditched my Havianas.

Really nice attention to detail.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SFWashingtonienne
Dear SFWashingtonienne,

Your comments were shared with all our team!
Thank you for having the time to post it within the tripadvisor community.

Our housekeeping team were specially delighted with your review! on their behalf: Thank you so much.
We are also glad you liked our flip flops...summer is here!

Kind Regards to Washington.
General Manager - Bairro Alto Hotel.