Having stayed at the Heritage Avenida Liberade last month, I kept comparing this hotel to my stay at the Heritage, which I absolutely loved (and reviewed).
Positives about the Bairro Alto Hotel:
1. Location is fantastic -- Right at the crossroads of Chiado, Bairro Alto and Baixa. You can walk to every place -- even Principe Real, which I highly recommend (though that walk is all uphill).
2. Rooftop terrace has a fantastic view and the drinks/wines are excellent -- though you pay a higher price for being there. It also gets very busy, and hotel guests don't get any preference.
3. Breakfast is included and excellent -- juices, coffee, baked goods, yogurt, cheese, cereals, meats, eggs -- really fantastic!
4. Amenities in the room are great -- from I-Pod docking station to bathroom products.
5. Decor and ambience have a really glam and luxury feel.
6. Staff are very friendly.
Two things that I was particularly disappointed about with this property were:
1. The bed was not comfortable. For the price one pays, they need to have better beds. AND a queen bed is not two single beds joined together!
2. While the staff are really friendly and helpful, as a third-time visitor to Lisbon, I was quite surprised at the limited knowledge about restaurants, independent boutique shops, timings for popular venues and so forth that they had. I found myself often telling them about places I felt they should have known about...some right around the corner from the hotel.
In terms of the type of room I had, it was a Mansard Room, which was perfect as I was by myself. It might be on the small side for two people, unless you don't mind "cosy."
Final word, stay here if you can get an advance booking special or a promotional rate. Otherwise, I don't think it is worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This place is temporarily closed. Located in the fashionable Bairro Alto district, the traditional heartland of intellectuals, artists and revolutionaries, Bairro Alto Hotel is Lisbon's first contemporary boutique hotel.Capturing the indomitable spirit of exploration that pervades Lisbon, a city long associated with explorers, traders and settlers, Bairro Alto Hotel both embraces the Portuguese architectural tradition, while respectively turning it on its head. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Bairro Alto Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Bairro Alto
- Bairro Alto Lisbon