“Location and Ambience”
Review of Bairro Alto Hotel

Bairro Alto Hotel
Ranked #22 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Having stayed at the Heritage Avenida Liberade last month, I kept comparing this hotel to my stay at the Heritage, which I absolutely loved (and reviewed).

Positives about the Bairro Alto Hotel:
1. Location is fantastic -- Right at the crossroads of Chiado, Bairro Alto and Baixa. You can walk to every place -- even Principe Real, which I highly recommend (though that walk is all uphill).

2. Rooftop terrace has a fantastic view and the drinks/wines are excellent -- though you pay a higher price for being there. It also gets very busy, and hotel guests don't get any preference.

3. Breakfast is included and excellent -- juices, coffee, baked goods, yogurt, cheese, cereals, meats, eggs -- really fantastic!

4. Amenities in the room are great -- from I-Pod docking station to bathroom products.

5. Decor and ambience have a really glam and luxury feel.

6. Staff are very friendly.

Two things that I was particularly disappointed about with this property were:

1. The bed was not comfortable. For the price one pays, they need to have better beds. AND a queen bed is not two single beds joined together!

2. While the staff are really friendly and helpful, as a third-time visitor to Lisbon, I was quite surprised at the limited knowledge about restaurants, independent boutique shops, timings for popular venues and so forth that they had. I found myself often telling them about places I felt they should have known about...some right around the corner from the hotel.

In terms of the type of room I had, it was a Mansard Room, which was perfect as I was by myself. It might be on the small side for two people, unless you don't mind "cosy."

Final word, stay here if you can get an advance booking special or a promotional rate. Otherwise, I don't think it is worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank barca212
Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 14 August 2012

This hotel is the diamond of the city! In the heart of Lisbon this 5* hotel is close to perfection!
Great atmosphere, one of the world's most beautiful terrace, a bar I wish I could have!
The rooms are small but extremely pretty and there is a great sense attached to details.
Despite being in the heart of the vibrant city the rooms are VERY quiet.

I also HIGHLY recommend the restaurant Flores and particularly the Sardines for starter!

Just go for it!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed at the Bairro Alto for 3 nights on a girls trip to Lisbon. The location can't be beat! Right in the heart of shopping and restaurants/bars. And an easy train ride/walking distance to almost everything else. The hotel staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and quick to offer suggestions.

The bar at top is a must. The view is to die for. We sat up there for hours drinking wine and enjoying some light apps. The place is very tiny and open to people not staying at the hotel so you need to get up there before 5ish in order to not have to wait for a table. The first night we were there we couldn't get a table so we ended up walking to a great little wine/tapas bar around the corner called Fabulas, which I would recommend if you find yourself in the same situation.

The breakfast in the morning was great. They had a nice variety and would make you something else if you wanted.

The only issue we had was our shower didn't drain properly so there was a mini bathroom flood on our first night there. They were able to fix it the next day, but it would have been nice had they caught it prior to us arriving as we had to forgo showers that night and the next morning. Also I believe it is a little overpriced for what it is.... but I suppose you are paying for the location more than anything else.

Overall, I would stay here again (if I was feeling rich) and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kristin C
BAH_Manager, General Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2012

Dear Kristin C,

The Staff of the Bairro Alto Hotel thanks you for your review. We hope you and your friends will visit us again in a near future.

Thank you for your preference.
Have a great Summer.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We thought nothing could exceed our wonderful experiences in Portugal - until we stayed at this hotel. The staff was phenomenal, the room truly a 5 star, the location perfect. We ended our three weeks at this hotel and it was a perfect closing that was memorable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYC-Chicago

Dear NYC - Chicago,

We are all truly happy we have contributed quite positively to those memorable times you passed in your 3 week trip to Portugal!

"Memorable" is indeed a great word we like to see often used by our guests/friends. Thank you.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We didn't stay at the hotel, but the Terrace bar is superb. Great views over the rooftops and river, very attentive service and good food and cocktails. We went for a salad and a glass of wine and stayed for 4 hours! It's not huge so book if you can (we didn't), or be prepared to wait for one of the tables along the edge. I imagine it's lovely in the evening as well.

My girlfriend said, "this is perfect. Don't tell everyone", so consider this a public service...

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Nick21Brussels,

Greetings from Lisboa!

Thank you so much for your "public service". On behalf of the Bairro Alto Hotel team and specially the Terrace team, I thank you for your very positive remarks. I'm going to make sure they all read your review.

Next time I'm sure you will stay for more than 4 hours and eventually watch the sundown which even for me, being a "local", it is still a great joy and peace of mind to experience.

For other tripadvisor readers: we actually do not accept reservations for that outlet. First come, first served basis.

Have a great summer.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Very nice personnel. People are so very nice in general in Lisbon.
Rooms a bit small given the old, albeit nicely remodeled, building.
Great view from the terrace bar- nice mojitos. Good luck finding a spot if you don't make it before 8pm.
Restaurant food also good.
Great location.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Yvonne R,

Greetings from Lisboa.
Thank you for your review and for having contributed to share comments and with other travellers, namely the tripadvisor community.

For other travellers: please be informed we do have 6 type of bedroom categories in total, from smaller to larger bedrooms, as the Bairro Alto Hotel was a former early XIX century building converted into a modern boutique hotel....some bedrooms are available with connecting doors - for families with children.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

We just returned from Lisbon and we loved the Bairro Alto Hotel. The staff was so friendly, the rooms very spacious (Priviledge Room), great location and lovely rooft op terrace.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear MKW - AZ,

On behalf of the Bairro Alto Hotel team, I send you the very best regards to Tuscson - Arizona.

Thank you for sharing your comments and essentialy your suggestion regarding the bedroom. In fact the "Prestige" bedroom is one of the best rooms we have. It is a corner bedroom, spacious and facing the great "Luis de Camões" Square. The neighbour square is the meeting point in Lisbon for locals and for anyone wanting to experience the best of Lisbon.

This square is an homage to Portugal's greatest poet which lived in the XVI century. I'm suspicious but I would put him side by side with W. Shakespeare.