“5 star”

Ranked #16 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
:London
“5 star”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was booked into the Barrio Alto Hotel for a 2 night stay for work. We turned up and was greeted by the courteous doorman and a porter who promptly took my bag to the side. The check-in staff were polite, efficient and got us quickly up to my room (102). First impressions were good, and it was only when I was going up to my room that I noticed this was a 5 star hotel. Swanky.

Surprisingly, I was given a key (not a keycard) to the room and it took me a second to get used to it as the lock settles horizontally rather than vertically, but upon opening the door I was greeted with a very plush room. Great lighting and understated, quality decor, wooden floors, high hanging curtains opening out to a small balcony & a clean medium sized bathroom. Just looking around you can tell money was spent on the furnishings, and no corners cut in the process.

It's the little touches from a 5 star hotel that really shine out from the usual accomodation I stay in. A turn-down service at 6pm, a bottle of wine gifted on the 1st night, and the famous Portugeuse custard tarts on the 2nd. Robe and complimentary slippers, and a dental and bathroom kit on request. In short, without having a bell and butler at your beck and call, the stay is incredibly comfortable. It's a fantastic destination if you want a bit of luxury on your holiday. The bar downstairs was nice enough ( but apparently not a patch on the roof bar, which unfortunately I didn't get to), a bit cave-like in the back and not as atmospheric as it could be, but the breakfast was lovely with a good selection of fruit, cheese, bread and scrambled eggs and sausages.

If there was only one thing I could mention, is that the shower pressure is a bit on the low side, and the limited range of movement rom the head meant you basically had to stand over the plug hole.

So why only 4 stars? My best comparison 5 star hotel-wise is the Mandarin Oriental in Kuala Lumpur, which is extremely impressive in terms of elegance, style and the facilities on offer. Even the breakfast selection is awe-inspiring. Bairro Alto certainly equals it in terms of service and looks, however in terms of value it slightly falls short of the mark. I completely understand that its a boutique, city centre hotel, but IMHO if you are competing against 5 star chain hotels you have to have point of difference that counterbalances what they offer. The Mandarin in KL has impressive views, all the modern amenities, amazing food and location for around the same price as the Bairro Alto. That's not at all a besmirch on the Bairro - it's a lovely, elegant hotel that, if you can afford it, will make your trip a memorable one.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
BAH_Manager, General Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Seraphial,

Greetings from Lisbon.
On behalf of my team, I thank you for having brought all these details within the tripadvisor community. I think details are never enough and this is really what other travellers want to feel.

Nevertheless, in fact, we are indeed a 5 star hotel, as per Portuguese law and standards.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any assistance from your nest trip either on business or leisure.

Bairro Alto Hotel - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I stayed at the Bairro Alto Hotel to celebrate my 30th birthday with a friend.
A local from Lisbon recommended this hotel to me and despite other great options, after hours of research I took his advice.
It was the best decision I've ever made. The location is absolutely perfect and cannot be beat by any other hotel in the city.
The hotel itself, the restaurant, the rooms were exquisite. The rooftop terrace bar can't be missed. The beds were so comfortable that making it downstairs before the end of breakfast at 11am was a struggle.
The value for our money was excellent, the experience itself was priceless.
The staff was the best I've ever encountered. Everyone in the hotel called me by name and walking in the door felt like I was returning home to a sea of friendly faces, all smiles all the time. They were available to answer my questions and concerns via email even before I booked a room and were easily able to accommodate requests that other hotel staff would have scoffed at without a second thought.

I've stayed in many wonderful hotels all over the world, but this was by far the best hotel experience of my life. Lisbon is one of the most magical places on earth, and the Bairro Alto Hotel was nothing short of magic.
Cannot wait to book my next trip!!

• Stayed March 2013
BAH_Manager, Front Office Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Osarina314,

First of all let me thank your portuguese friend who gave you a great advice! - as we would both agree :O). and secondly; thank you for being sop kind and for having the time to share your comments within the Tripadvisor community.

It is with such a great review like this one, that we all feel we are on the right path. Your feedback could be used as the headlines toward a "portuguese tourism campaign".

Thank you so much.

Paris, France
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Perfect stay in Lisboa !

We went to Lisboa ( 2 nights / 3 days ) in order to have a city break and to celebrate my birthday !
We enjoyed very much The Bairro Alto Hotel and its staff.

Everybody was very kind and careful. Always an answer to our questions and wishing to deliver a high standard of service.

The hotel is ideally situated in the city, near... everything !
The breakfast is really good and is worthing to wake up.
The terrace is amazing with a breath-taking view over the Tajo River and the lower city.
The general design of the hotel is chic and beautiful.

I had the pleasure to meet the general manager who came to wish me an happy birthday in person. Very kind attention which I appreciated a lot.

I (we) highly recommend this hotel. ( and Lisboa )
If I have the occasion I will go back to the Bairro Alto Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mr. Benbip,

Greetings from Lisbonne.
I hope I can give you another handshake for your next birthday :O). Thank you also for being so nice to all my team

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Spent 2 nights at Bairro Alto Hotel and was extremely impressed with our experience there. While the rooms are slightly small, they are very nice, clean, modern and comfortable. The staff was incredibly helpful with providing directions, maps, restaurant reservations and more. The location and view were amazing! Breakfast was included which was a nice addition. The terrace on the 6th floor provided an amazing view of the city with great drinks and snacks!

Dear Mrs. Megan M,

Thank you for your very kind feedback.
On your next trip to Lisbon, maybe you can choose another type of bedroom?

As we are a historical builing converted ito a boutique hotel, we do have many other type of bedrooms available from Suites to Prestige, Deluxe and Superior rooms.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This hotel is a dream in every way. The rooms are incredible, with lots of unexpected goodies to behold. The staff are amazing, at every step. The service is incredibly willing - and the staff make that extra effort to make your stay enjoyable. The views from the terrace bar on level 6 are incredible - even if it's not so warm, go up and enjoy a cocktail with a view under a blanket. Make sure you eat in the restaurant too, the service and cuisine is incredible. If you're even considering a city break, one night or one of the best views of Lisbon - choose this gem in the heart of Lisbon life in Bairro Alto. Enjoy :)

Room Tip: Why not enjoy the view of the square if you can :)
Dear DerkyLancshire,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the Tripadvisor community.
Thank you also for the room tip...

Florence, Italy
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I spent 4 nights here mixing business with sight seeing. I cannot imagine a better location: right in the heart of Lisbon close to the best restaurants and a rooftop bar with a view that cannot be equaled. My room was on the street side and was ample by European standards. The bathroom shower was easy to use and classy. The sink was the contemporary "bowl" which worked fine for me. The furniture was understated and ample. The mattress was firm and the sheets all cotton. On saturday evening, the street was so loud I had trouble sleeping. This was the only negative in my stay. I suppose this can be mitigated but, given the location, not completely avoided. The staff is the best in Europe, as good as places like the Adlon in Berlin or the Seteais in Sintra. My newspapers were delivered every day without fail. Each room has a high speed internet connection with ethernet but wifi is not free. This is another minor blemish. Breakfast was in a nice room on the ground floor and the cappuccino was almost as good as Italy. I would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mr. DPatters,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

All in all, we are very happy with your comments. Nevertheless, we are a bit worried since we do are very proud about our double window - double glass system in each one of our bedrooms...therefore there might have been any kind of situation or it could be that they were not perfectly closed.

Hopefully you will give us the chance to serve you a fine cappucino one again in a near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of spending three nights at the Barrio Alto Hotel in late February 2013. We expect alot from a quality property and we were not disappointed. Our suite was what a suite is supposed to be- two separate rooms, with a door between, if needed while one person is sleeping, with lots of closet space, and a large bathroom with tub and shower. THe view from the room was excellent as well, and the room was bright and happy during the day, as it should be. The bed was comfortable, the mechanical system worked well, the windows were doubled up so that we had quiet in our room. But the best thing in the hotel was the friendly welcoming service from everyone, from the maids to the waitresses, to the excellent people at the front desk. THe other great thing about this hotel is the location- right in the middle of where the action is- the ONLY hotel in the city of quality that is in the centre of the action. And check out the terrace bar on the 6th floor- great views of the city! The only place to stay in Lisbon as far as we are concerned!

Room Tip: The fourth floor rooms have walk out balconies, although most of the other rooms seemed to have fren...