“The Bairro Alto is lovely”
Review of Bairro Alto Hotel

Bairro Alto Hotel
Ranked #18 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend and we had a fantastic time. We had one of the smaller Mansard rooms which are attic rooms, but it was lovely. The room has a slanted ceiling but is a good size, the bathroom was spotless and everything was tastefully decorated. The room has small windows but on a cold Lisbon day it was very cosy and we didn't want to leave! The common areas of the hotel are very modern, we had drinks in the bar and it has a great relaxed atmosphere. The staff here are amazing, so friendly and helpful, I can't recommend them highly enough. We didn't eat at the Flores restaurant but the menu looked delicious, we ate from the bar menu as we were having drinks and the salads were very good. I did not pay full price as I won a special rate through a competiton so I can't really comment on value for money but I would definitely return here as it really is such a great boutique hotel with some of the friendliest staff I have ever met.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 November 2008

I think it has one of the best location in Lisbon, but it is not worth the price. We have stayed in Bairro Alto Hotel for 3 nights in October. The room is quite small and the bathroom is tiny! I have stayed in many hotels in Lisbon and was looking forward to staying in this hotel, but it quite disappointed me. No claims against the staff which were very helpful and nice, but the rest is not worth the price we paid for it; the rooms, the breakfast, the lobby and the elevators are not what I expect for the most expensive hotel in Lisbon

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Definately a five star hotel. A very beautiful building, quiet, nicely decorated and really clean too. Service is perfect from the moment you arrive to the moment you you leave. The staff extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast was delicious and so was the degustation menu I had at the restaurant. Congratulations to the chef Luis Rodrigues!
I am a single female traveling alone for business and I felt very secure in the hotel.
I will stay in Bairro Alto Hotel when I come back to the beautiful old Lisbon!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank callymeg
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We would highly recommend staying at the Bairro Alto. Our family stayed on the fourth floor in two rooms, closed off by a common door. The rooms were lovely and everything kept neat and clean. Our room was the suite and though the bathroom was smaller than similar units, it had top grade fixtures and was more than enough room for us. Our daughter's bathroom had a window over the bath tub that looked out onto a lovely view of the neighborhood. Our rooms didn't face the square but the side street and were towards the back of the hotel. This turned out to be good because the first night we were there someone was on the drums until after midnight and I could hear it through the closed double paned windows, albeit more muted than if we had rooms facing the square. Others have commented on the roof top terrace, and it lived up to expectations. The service was wonderful, the concierge knowledgeable and helpful, and the breakfast delicious. The location of the hotel is a plus, as it is steps from the No. 28 tram and in walking distance of many interesting areas. If you want to be here where it's busy and close to a lot of things you want to see, the hotel is a quiet oasis. I think it could improve by offering free wireless. (They have wireless, but you have to pay for it.)

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank octraveler08
Reviewed 31 August 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Bairro Alto Hotel for seven nights, April 23-30, 2007. We booked a "Prestige" room, Bed & Breakfast Package, directly through the hotel website at the beginning of February. The rate was 350 Euros per night (including tax, service and breakfast). I was looking for something romantic, modern yet cozy, with great service and a central location. This hotel exceeded all of our expectations. The service was excellent, the staff members were both friendly and helpful, our room was lovely, and lastly, the location was perfect. I would return in a heartbeat!

Our room was very quiet, spacious, had a very comfortable bed with top quality linens, and had great light. There were two sets of double glazed French doors in our bedroom and one in the bathroom. All looked out onto a quiet side street. If I opened the French doors and looked to the right, I could see the main square and the trams. I was extremely happy with our room. BTW - the photos posted by Mojito Girl are of the room we stayed in. As she mentioned, the bathroom is lovely, with a claw-foot soaking tub, separate shower, and private WC with separate toilet and bidet. All fixtures were new and of high quality. The bedroom also had a plasma TV, wifi-internet, as well as comfortable robes and slippers.

I absolutely loved returning to our hotel at the end of each day to relax in the tub. You probably noticed in the photos that the tub is situated directly in front of the bathroom window. This was not a problem in any way at all for me. The windows all have privacy sheers in addition to black-out draperies. I loved cracking open the window for fresh air while soaking in a hot bath, and at no point felt like I was "on display" so to speak.

One of the absolute best features of this hotel has to be the roof-top terrace. The views of the neighborhood leading down to the water are amazing. I loved relaxing in the afternoon, enjoying the sunshine and views with a pot of tea or glass of wine, all while writing in my journal or enjoying the company of my husband. The sunset views were also spectacular. And although the terrace could get quite crowded at times, it was never unpleasant or loud. The atmosphere was both relaxed and civilized.

It is in this regard that I adore this hotel. It strikes the perfect balance between casual and elegant. Too many new hotels have tried to be hip and cool, only to end up as loud and obnoxious. Other hotels are simply too formal. This hotel has artfully combined modern touches in a historic building. The decor is tasteful, yet never stuffy. There is an understated elegance that pays respect to the historic architecture of the building itself, while allowing guests to feel comfortable and relaxed.

The hotel's location is utterly fantastic. There is a tram stop right on the square in front of the hotel. In addition, there is a major subway station and funicular within easy walking distance. The neighborhood in which the hotel is located is excellent, with good restaurants, interesting shops (including one of the oldest and most famous candle shops in all of Lisbon) and lovely architecture. We were able to visit Belem, the Alfama and Baixa via the trams. For our day trips to Sintra and Cascais, we were able to use the excellent train system - again, easily accessible from the hotel via subway or funicular.

The hotel staff members were extremely helpful and efficient. Housekeeping kept the rooms spotlessly clean. The front desk manager was wonderful with directions. On one evening, we asked for a restaurant recommendation. After narrowing down what we were looking for, one of the young men on duty that evening was gracious enough to personally walk us over to a lovely restaurant and introduce us to the host. I should mention that the restaurant was hidden away down a very narrow lane; we would never have found it on our own. It was obvious that the restaurant was one primarily frequented by locals and regulars. Despite being very busy and despite the fact that we had no reservation, they sat us down and took excellent care of us all evening. We loved the restaurant so much that we made reservations for another evening. The food, service and atmosphere were all excellent, and the experience made our trip that much more memorable.

In the name of full disclosure: Bairro Alto is a wonderful neighborhood with one caveat. There are a couple of streets located on the opposite side of the square from the hotel (moving away from the water, going uphill) that have a large number of drinking establishments. During the day, these streets seemed quite normal, but at night, we noticed that the bar patrons (mainly tourists) behaved quite badly (very drunk, loud, stumbling about, urinating in public). We tended to avoid that area as that is not our style. I really felt quite bad for the people living there. Thankfully, the hotel is not located in that particular area, and those streets can be easily avoided. Incidentally, the restaurant (the name of which escapes me) recommended to us by the hotel was not terribly far from that area, yet it was located on a very quiet and safe street. I think the concierge walked us over since it was getting dark and he didn't want us to end up getting lost. I think this perfectly demonstrates just how well the staff looked after us.

As mentioned earlier, breakfast was included in our room rate, and was served in a small dining room located just off the hotel lobby (in the corner of the building, with windows along two walls). The buffet was of high quality, though the options were not quite as extensive as I've encountered at other hotels of this price range. Our only complaint with this hotel was that the breakfast room could get quite smoke filled, depending upon how crowded the room was and if anyone was smoking. This was a major annoyance. We tried to time our breakfasts so that we ate either before or after the morning rush, in an effort to avoid the smoke. For some reason, I don't think breakfast was served on the rooftop terrace. If it was, we were unaware. We wished we could have enjoyed breakfast on the terrace - the setting was marvelous and being open air, cigarette smoke was easier to tolerate. Of course the best solution would simply be for the hotel to ban smoking in the dining room. The room has such a small capacity that it is extremely difficult for any non-smoker to enjoy their meal should anyone in the room light up.

Otherwise, the hotel is perfect. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RedHairedGal
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We stayed in one of the Mansard rooms on the fifth floor - it was beautifully decorated and had a very large bed, a sofa , flat screen TV , DVD player and a great bathroom. What it didn't have was a view - you had to stand on tip toes to peer out of the small windows - also the storage space was under the eves so fine if you are a man with a jacket, shirt and trousers to hang up but useless for dresses and skirts.If you get a choice opt for one of the rooms on the lower floors which all seem to have large french windows looking out onto the square below.
Service was very charming and breakfast was good. The restaurant is very small however and it was expected that you would share a table if you were in a couple. The terraced bar had spectacular views but as with most outside spaces in Portugal was dominated by smokers.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shantam
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Stayed four nights with my wife.
First of all, it's an amazing historical building situated at the Luis de Camões square, in the heart of Lisbon and close to the main city's attractions. Hotel is pretty e tranquil, with modern and elegant decoration. Very nice room, not a giant room, but large enough for two and pretty comfortable (excellent bed and pillows). Great bathroom and shower. All room's equipaments are new and worked pretty well. Staff is very friendly and helpful.
There's a lovely restaurant on the lobby, named Flores ("Flowers" in portuguese), where they serve a great breakfast every morning. It's recommendable for a good lunch or intimate dinner.
Last but not least, hotel has a bar in the roof top terrace, with incredible views of old town and Tagus river. It's very pleasant at the end of the day.
Bairro Alto Hotel is my very first option when I back to Lisbon.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple