“Beautiful hotel, beautiful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bairro Alto Hotel

Bairro Alto Hotel
Ranked #18 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
London
“Beautiful hotel, beautiful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2007

My wife and I stayed in one of the 4 suites at this hotel and it overlooked the square. We were there for a few days and I have to say the hotel is beautiful. The breakfast was excellent with fresh fruit and everything you can ask for with very good service. The suite was very stylishly decorated and spotlessly clean. Even though the room overlooked the busy square, it was silent with all outside doors closed. The area is stunning. Many places to eat, drink and shop. We went to many places around Lisbon and I definitely think that this area was the nicest by far. Lisbon is an amazing city though. Make sure you go to a restaurant called A Travessa - its a cab ride from the hotel but is totally unique and lovely.

• Liked — The roof terrace
  • Disliked — The lif was too slow
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2007

Difficult to say more than others have already about this excellent hotel. From the decor, cleanliness, polite and helpful staff (great team of people who know what good service is - very well trained) to the quiet double double glazed rooms, fab pillows and bed.....everything you would and should expect from a really good 5 star hotel. The small things make the difference....it was my wife's birthday and a lovely cake and bottle of champagne were sent to our room before we went out for dinner. Remembering your name without telling the reception staff was a very professional touch too. Great location, we loved it and we'll be back.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
2 Thank MWLANDSVB
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2007

Reasonable enough – nice hotel, and the staff are generally really good. I had a comedy massage, with the therapist wearing a surgical mask…(!). I was also convinced she had one leg, but that’s another story. We were upgraded on arrival to a prestige suite, which was a beautiful room, although the bathroom was small. You don’t expect the shower to be over the bath in a hotel of this standard. We ate in the Flores restaurant on our first night. Lovely food, great service, although the atmosphere was poor – there was only one other couple in there! The following night we ate at the Bica de Sapato (?) which was very good – decent food and a great buzz. Breakfast was adequate. We sat for a few hours in the Terrace Bar, which was great – really nice place and fabulous views, although if the wind gets up, can be chilly, even in the height of summer. On our final day, we again spent time in the Terrace Bar, and I chose a Chicken Caesar Salad, which was beautiful the day before… as I bit into my first lump of chicken, I thought it seemed remarkably tender. The next one was the same. It was only when I removed my sunglasses that I realised the chicken was barely cooked, and very pink. It is meant to be a cold dish, but surely that’s a little far…!? No after effects thankfully, but again, this should not really happen in this kind of hotel. Some of the strips of chicken can’t have seen any heat at all. I complained and they were fine in giving me something which was properly cooked. Also tried the bar downstairs, which was great – again nobody there though!!! We had a nice chat with the barman who gave us a load of pointers and told us where to go in Lisbon. The general hotel décor was weird – spray painted gold mesh was in abundance, especially in the lift, which was also slightly vandalised (graffiti). All in all, fine. Not sure I would rush back. I have a colleague who tried the Ritz and said it was amazing…

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2007

First off, there is no better location I know of in Lisbon. Despite the name, the hotel is actually at the nexis of Bairro Alto (the nightlife district) and Chiado (the shopping district). Yet it is far enough away from the bars so that noise was never a problem; subway and tram stops are right out the door. We walked everywhere.

We were pleased by our spacious room, a free upgrade (for four nights) from a mansard to a superior. Nice little touches -- bedside light controls, not just bathrobes provided but also umbrellas. (Though Lisbon in July is perpetually sunny.) The rooms had DVD players, deep comfy tubs, and serene furnishings.

The rooftop terrace bar was unbeatable. Just crowded enough to feel lively, but we always found a seat. The three-story hotel bar was nearly empty each time we saw it; the bartender must have been bored because he kept giving us tastes of Portuguese liquors. Every time I walked into public-space restroom, I felt like the last person in had been a maid -- yet I never saw a maid. The cleanliness was impeccable. The breakfast buffet was fine; the Internet charges outrageous.

• Liked — Location, terrace, front desk service.
  • Disliked — Internet fees.
2 Thank Sweetpotater
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2007

I stayed only one night at the BA but the services is great and the location is ideal. Upon my arrival my room wasn't ready, so the guy's
at the reception invited me to the bar for a coffee. (On the house) Somebody picked me up to accompany to the room. My rooms was small (I had booked a single) but the amenities are beautiful and state of the art: Depravity/ Philip Stack bathrooms, Asian inspired wood furniture’s, welcome Madeira, flat screen TV, wire less internet. The hallways are dark but cozy, lots of wood. The Hotel has only 55 rooms but that makes it so warm and welcoming. The remaining evening I spent on the roof terrace which has a beautiful view of Lisbon and the Harbor. After staying numerous times in Lisbon in other great places, I will definitely come back. It’s all what you expect from SLH of the world.

• Liked — Location, Service, Rooms and the friendly personal
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
Los Cabos, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2007

This is a beautifull hotel in the best possible location in Lisbon.
We booked a suite and were more than pleased with it. The decor, layout and bathroom are perfect.
The staff is great although they could use more help in the roof top bar.
This was our first trip to Portugal and although we had a great time I don't know if I would come back to Lisbon. It's a nice city with great restaurants (don't miss dinner at "A Travessa" ) and friendly people but with not much to do for more than a couple of days. We also spent a few days in Cascais, about 30 minutes away and had a great time.

• Liked — Decor,staff and location
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2007

We stayed at the Bairro Alto hotel for 3 nights June 12-14, 2007. There was a national holiday the night we arrived with lots of partying in the street and it was a bit loud in the room in spite of the double glass windows, but the rest of the nights was no problem. The rooms are big, spacious and clean. The bathroom was awesome with a shower, separate bath, private toilet and bidet. We had a prestige room, queen bed for 380 euro/night, breakfast included. The breakfast was not that great- some bread, cheese and yogurt, scrambled eggs. Had wireless internet access which was a must - 20 euro for 24 hr, 5 euro for 1 hr. The people were all very nice and had great restaurant recommendations. It was in a perfectlocation for shopping and near many cafes and restaurants - easy walking distance. Overall, the room was nice, location excellent.

• Liked — location, spacious room
  • Disliked — Restaurant not that great, small lobby
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business