“Nice, modern hotel for a good price but there are issues ...”
Review of Zenit Lisboa

Zenit Lisboa
Ranked #112 of 251 Hotels in Lisbon
Fairfield, Ohio
“Nice, modern hotel for a good price but there are issues ...”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I stayed here for one evening during a business trip to Lisbon. From the outside, it looks more of a historic hotel than a modern one, but that changes when you enter the main lobby.

NOTE -- there are stairs leading down to the main lobby (about 6) and there is a small lift to the left of the entry way. However, there are no bellmen to assist you with your luggage (at least the evening I arrived and the morning I departed). Having just come off of foot surgery, the stairs were a little challenging. The front desk clerk assisted me when I was checking in, but when I departed the next morning, no such luck since the clerks were busy with other guests.

I guess for 4-star hotel, I was expecting bellmen.

Check in was smooth and quick. My room was on the 7th floor near the elevator. Like many European hotels, the lights are motion-activated to conserve energy, although it can be a little disconcerting to step off the elevator into near darkness.

The room itself was a standard-sized room for a European hotel. The bed was comfortable and, what I really liked was that each nightstand had an outlet. For a business traveler with lots of peripherals to plug in and recharge, this was especially nice. The desk area was small but functional, and there was an outlet close to it.

The bedding was comfortable although I could have used a few more pillows. The bathroom was clean and well lit. The amenities nice as well -- including a toothbrush kit. There was also an additional outlet in the bathroom besides the one for an electric shaver. I didn't notice any mold or cracks in the vanity or tub.

There were no washcloths or bidet towels, and the holder for the toilet paper was loose. I didn't call down for washcloths or bidet towels because I was only there for one night, but it was a disappointing oversight from housekeeping.

My biggest issue came in the morning, while I was trying to get ready. Apparently, if you are inactive for a while and your key is still in the "power" switch, the electricity shuts off in the room. I woke up once to find the AC off, which made the room stuffy. Yet in the morning, when I went to turn things on, the circuit breaker flipped. At least the room had the breakers in an easily accessible part. It took about 10 minutes before I got things working again. When I mentioned it while checking out, I was dismissed as an American who didn't know how the European hotels worked.

As noted by other reviewers, the wireless internet access is spotty. I wasn't given the codes when I checked in, so I had to go downstairs for them (my hearing is poor so calling for them over the phones would have been too frustrating). I was able to get on to some sites, but not on others. It frequently timed out. As a business traveler, this was frustrating since I was trying to do emails, etc. I was surprised that the codes were not offered when I checked in.

There is a "business center" in the lobby, which are two computers.

I had dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant, mostly because I was too tired from my flights to venture elsewhere. The three-course dinner was very reasonably priced at 20 euros excluding wine. The meal was very good and the service was good as well. Then again, I was the only person in the restaurant. However, I was there at 8 PM, which is an early dining time in the city.

Breakfast was kind of disappointing in the selections that were offered. There was a decent selection of fresh fruit, but the potato gratin was served cold and the scrambled eggs looked very wet. The staff was constantly refreshing the breads and pastries since those were the most popular. The orange juice I had was, while fresh, watery as if they had diluted the freshly squeezed juice. The breakfast was included in my room rate but listed as 17 euros. I would take your 17 euros elsewhere.

Overall, it was a nice stay for just a single night. A few minor things, but overall pleasant.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Belasaria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Neat and tidy. Rooms very comfortable. Bathrooms very clean. Close to Rossio Square. You can either take a cab or a bus.

From the airport you can take the Aerobus which drops you veat the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CDP82
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed at this clean and modern hotel one night during our vacation in Portugal. The rooms are not very large but large enough to be very comfortable. The furnishings are contemporary and pleasing to the eye. The beds are comfortable. The bathrooms are spacious and offer great amenities. The air-conditioning worked great and the rooms were quiet. Parking was easy to find on the streets surrounding the hotel although the hotel also offers garage parking. The location of this hotel is quite convenient and the area appears to be safe. Service was very good and the staff was helpful and friendly. This hotel is definitely one that we recommend.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Amsterdam
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I chose the Zenit Lisboa because of the location and the free wifi they provide and it turned out to be an excellent choice. The hotel is located just outside of the city center, in a quiet avenida, and the city center and main sites are on walking distance. The Saldanha and Sao Sebastiao stations - both convenient metro line crossings - are around the corner.
The first night they had a problem with my room, so they moved me to the Vila Rica hotel 2 kms further out of the city on the same avenida. This hotel did not match my expectations. But on my request, the Zenit's kind staff compensated this inconvenience adequately with a free diner and a 50% discount on my first night's rate.
The room was quite small, but comfortable and of good value. I did not use breakfast in the hotel (12 euros is too expensive for generally cheap Lisbon) but for diner, I really would like to recommend the hotel's restaurant. It's located in the basement and therefore not very atmospheric, but the food was of good quality and prepared very carefully.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 29 August 2011

What one has to say about a hotel that will not honour a reservation? On July 16th I made a reservation for a double room in the Zenit for August 13th (number 1689018). I paid € 17.52 IN ADVANCE "as a deposit" through their website which redirected me to CentralR.com. Nonetheless, when I arrived there, the hotel clerk (named Carlos) said that "unfortunately" a family couldn't leave because of a medical emergency and that I would have to move to another hotel. He offered to pay a taxi to the VIP Grand / Villa Rica where he had "everything arranged" and asked me to spend the night there and GO BACK to the Zenit the next day. I explained that this was EXTREMELY INCONVENIENT, but he insisted, stressing that it was not the Zenit's fault (well, maybe it was mine for choosing them). All the while he tried to convince me that the hotel had no
responsibility at all for the payment made to CentralR.com, although I was redirected there THROUGH Zenit's website. After a while I gave up and went
to the VIP Grand, where first they didn't have any information about Zenit's reservation and then asked me to PAY for the room there! I had to call Carlos and threaten to go back to the Zenit before he agreed to arrange things properly this time.

When we finally checked in the new hotel it was 8:30 pm. My wife was leaving a day before me early next day so we had to RUSH to at least have a dinner together in Lisbon. Well, the Vip Grand at least had the dignity to accept me for two days,
but Carlos nor anyone from the Zenit NEVER called me again to apologize or give instructions. However, they did remember to charge the full fare for the two days on my credit card, simply ignoring the time lost and the stress I went through because of THEIR fault.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bebadosamba
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This is a business hotel in the business district, about a 15-20min walk to the Old Town. The rooms are nice and modern, and it is good value. We were first put in a smoking room, and the staff were happy to move us. There are a number of little cafe's nearby for breakfast, but not so many options for dinner. The metro is nearby. I probably would have preferred something a bit closer to the centre but you can't fault the value for money. A nice experience.

Room Tip: Request non-smoking with your booking.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spring_Chick_10
Mobile
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We spent one night in the Zenit Lisboa Hotel before returning home to the United States. The location is halfway between the International Airport and downtown Lisbon, in an upscale neighborhood with excellent shopping facilities including the modern mall El Corte Ingles. Also close to the famous Gulbenkian Museum. The staff were very friendly and the room was very clean. As is the custom in Europe, the room was very small but it is fine for a short stay. The hotel is relatively new and shows no signs of wear and tear. It is also only a few blocks from the Metro which gives rapid and inexpensive access to the tourist attractions in downtown Lisbon. We felt safe walking around the vicinity of the hotel even in the evening. Recommended.

Room Tip: The hotel is located on a fairly busy road but we were on the top floor and we had no problems with...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple