“Perfect accommodation”
Review of B&B Zuzabed

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lisbon
B&B Zuzabed
Ranked #15 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We really enjoyed our time in Lisbon and were very happy to have rented this very nice apartment from Zuzabed. The Zuza team is just so hospitable and helpful that you feel comfortable from the first minute on. Perfect location and perfect people. Thank you again! Grazie e danke!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simone T

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Spent 4 nights here recently and have to echo all the praise this place gets for their generous hosting. Morning breakfasts here are a big treat because of the great food and wonderful company.

Location is really well suited for exploring the city.

I had one of the balcony rooms and have to say that the balcony is really the saving grace of this room. There is a fabulous view of the city and it's a really big space to relax in. Unlike the room! Room was really small and bathroom was tiny, like "cruise ship" tiny. There was not enough space to put tooth paste and shaving kit at the same time tiny! While I really enjoyed my stay, I would probably pick another room for my next stay

It is hard to find for first timers, I would suggest they put some kind of marker or hint of which door to enter. Maybe bread crumbs? Anyhow a little more hint would be appreciated.

Thanks for the great stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We're very impressed with the Zuza Team. They think of so many things to help to ensure that you will have a wonderful stay in Lisbon and will leave determined to return. They go above and beyond on every level, even moving mountains to help us when I made an error in my booking during the busiest weekend in Lisbon in years. Thank you to Luis and your wonderful team.

2  Thank NewPeoplePlaces
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just returned home and Zuza B&B was the last place we stayed.My wife booked the Breakfast B&B with Luis, the owner, after reading great reviews on here. She told me ahead of time that he cery ethusiastic over email (which is always huge when traveling and staying at unknown locations. I believe someone in this line of work has to truly love what they do, or it shows). They great you when you arrive and offer coffee or anything you like to drink and they give you the run down of how it works. Pretty awesome set up! They show up in the mornings for breakfast and help you with any questions or concerns you might have for your day. After eating a huge breakfast, they leave you to yourself. There are no employees that stay at the apartment. What they do is give you a map of the city and clear up any questions you might have, give advise on what to do and how to get there. They will also give you GREAT restaraunt advise! Then they give you a company cell phone set up for you to call them with any needs!! Its totally cool! Luis and his staff are wonderful and he even invited my wife and I out for a Gin & Tonic at a great little place (Cafe Buenos Aires) just below the building on our last night! The place was a great refuge after a long day of site seeing.

Pros:
Great location
Great staff
easy to find for cab rivers from airport
awesome breakfast
increible customer service
clean, comfortable rooms
beautiful apartment

Cons:
Couldn't stay longer
although our room was great, we got to see the "terrace" rooms and we really wish we could've stayed in one of those!! Our room was great, but those were amazing!!

I always believe the best recommendation is "Would we stay there again when we return?" YES!
Thannks again to everyone at Zuza for maiking our Lisboa stay a great one!

Room Tip: Terrace rooms! They have a little balcony with great views!
1  Thank Natron76
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Happened to be coming to town during the time of Championship Final and rooms were hard to come by. Was lucky to get into the new suites offered by ZUZABED. Our suite was awesome!! Goncalo met us at the suite and gave us an overview of the area, things to know about the suite, etc. He left us a cell phone in case we had to contact someone for information or any problems we may encounter. Suite is in a great location and is very comfortable, providing everything we needed. Kitchen had a large supply of items for our use including ham, cheese, fruits, juice, milk, eggs, yogurt, bread. The Muesli cereal was delicious!!!! Figured out which store it came from and went and purchased 2 boxes to take home. Overall, a terrific experience. Thanks to Goncalo, Luis and the ZUZABED staff for their part in making our first trip to Lisbon a very enjoyable experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Onslow15
Reviewed 24 May 2014

A series of unique B&B sites located in the charming Bario Alto/Chiado districts of Lisbon. Wonderful care delivered by Luiz and his team, together with a great breakfast, etc. I got to stay in two very different apartments (Royal and Bario Alto) and enjoyed them both. Based on the positive experience I wholeheartedly recommend them!.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Zuzabed has various different properties in Lisbon: a B&B, a guesthouse, some apartments, and now Lisbon Suites (since April 2014).
This review is for their newest property (the Suites), centrally located in the heart of the Bairro Alto neighbourhood. It has 7 Suites: 1 top suite (top floor, balcony), 4 standard suites (no balcony) and 2 patio suites (private patio).

We had a “Patio Suite”, a lovely small apartment with a private patio at the back. The bedroom was large and comfortable (with comfy bed and big closet). A full kitchen (coffee machine, toaster, gas stove [no oven], microwave, large fridge, dishwasher, washing machine and dishes/glasses/pots/pans/utensils/bottle opener). A very small, clean and functional bathroom, with a heated towel rack. A mobile phone is provided and there is reliable WiFi throughout. The private back patio (with umbrella, chairs and table) was amazing. The floor to ceiling windows facing the street (in the bedroom) gave the Suite great airflow. Overall, the apartment was beautiful, well appointed, clean and had beautiful furniture and artwork.

Included in the price is a fridge stocked with breakfast items (eggs, bread, fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, cereal, ham, cheese, orange juice, milk). Cleaning and towel change is every second day. Dish soap is provided, but make sure to bring laundry soap. Also there was hand soap in the bathroom, but no shower amenities (shower gel/shampoo).

The location (81 rua da Gaveas) is phenomenal, with a short walking distance to everything, including bars and restaurants. As we learned however, this can be a slight disadvantage on weekends: despite filling its advertised billing of being quiet during weeknights, it was quite noisy during the weekend with noisy partyers walking the streets until 4am (bring earplugs). Another problem was that the main entry door is not bracketed and slams very loudly when other guests return. I mentioned this to Luis, and he said he will look into fixing it.

We had a few problems with items missing (such as a drying rack, iron, safebox), but there is a reason Zuza has such a good reputation: when we brought it to their attention they wasted no time in providing us with these items and rectifying the situation in person. Only the safebox (which was provided, but not attached securely to anything) remains to be resolved.
The property is new, so they are still working out the kinks. But, based on the way they reacted so well to our feedback and their excellent reputation, I have no doubt that these suites will soon meet the same standards as their other properties.

Overall I was very satisfied with the apartment itself and would stay here again. Normally I would give it 5 stars, but obviously the missing items and street/door noise issues during our stay affected my evaluation.

Note: There is no elevator, but two of the rooms are wheelchair accessible.

Room Tip: Lisbon Suites: If staying during a weekend, bring earplugs. The Patio rooms have a great private pat...
4  Thank Stinz3
ZUZABED, Proprietário at B&B Zuzabed, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thanks for your detailed feedback dear Stinz3 and it was a pleasure to meet you while staying with us at the Zuzabed Lisbon Suites in the heart of Lisbon city center.

I am so glad you enjoyed your accommodations and stay in beautiful Lisbon. Thank you for the compliments and positive comments on the design and décor. We take great pride in providing comfort and convenience to all of our guests. Further, I also enjoyed our lengthy conversation about the issues illustrated in the review, over drinks and time spent socializing during your free time in the city. Therefore, I am puzzled and a bit disheartened to read some of the comments reflected in the Trip Advisor review as I was under the impression that I handled and/or explained everything for you to your liking during your stay. For example, the noise factor, bath gel, door and washing detergent (which is not included as is not announced in our website as part of the Suite features). My team and I personally responded quickly and promptly to your concerns as you noted quite admirably in your review. I would like to take this moment to clarify any misunderstandings for you as well as other readers. The "kinks" you mention were not "kinks" in our opinion but honest, small mistakes which were handled in an expedient manner with grace and a friendly smile. Granted the property is new and operating but completely ready for guests! Please allow me to comment on a few factors that we had discussed at length in person during your stay:

Regarding some of the issues you mentioned in the 3AM email that I received from you and further communicated face to face! 

The Gáveas street is indeed a quiet street without bars and is located in the Bairro Alto district. As all the other Guests that stayed before you during week days and weekends mentioned, that street is really an oasis and an exception in Bairro Alto as there’s no bars at all. However, there are three restaurants that close at midnight. As you stated in your email sent on a Saturday night (3am): “I realized that the slight street noise I kept hearing is not coming through the windows, but rather from the bathroom ventilation shaft.” I was very happy with that and that shows obviously how silent the street can be even during the wee hours of a Saturday night 3am. Let’s not forget, cities around the world, are busy places and there will be a level of noise present in the distance. Please note, ear plugs are not necessary for future Guests as recommended as a traveler tip. Instead bring your walking shoes and enjoy this beautiful city!!!!

Despite the quietness of the street (as you could testify) it’s true that sometimes some Guests are a bit less thoughtful about others and during your stay there were indeed some (we can’t control that). You and I talked about it when we met and I personally had the chance to talk with the ladies that disturbed you on that particular night. This issue was resolved with all parties involved and I would like to add is not a common occurrence for ZUZA Guests.

Regarding the door and we had discussed at length, for safety reasons I do prefer to not have the usual automatic door closers as they might not close properly and then security is compromised. This is despite the fact that each Suite is being equipped with extra security doors as you saw (and did mention to me). Anyway, as I said to you I have that in mind and I’m working on that in order to avoid future situations - as I usually say: “problem is a forbidden word on holiday’s” :)

Knowing that we at ZUZA always host quality travelers as Guests, we always trust and believe in their common sense and respectful behavior with regard to others but sometimes an exception exists and those challenges helps us to improve in all aspects. As I had the chance to tell you personally, when I honestly said thanks for your thoughts and comments. Believe me, suggestions, recommendations are always welcome and we resolve and address ANY issues during one's stay. Our goal is for the Guest to have the best time and holiday in Lisbon and Portugal as a whole.

As announced on our website we do provide body shower gel (the same body shower gel we use as hand soap; Our motto is "what is good to clean/wash the body is also ideal for the hands :) "
We do not provide shampoo at any of the Zuza properties as the web site reflects. Our common sense and experience tells us that each Person has a different kind of hair with different type of shampoo needs. Shampoo can be easily considered as a Personal item, as I do, and when travelling I always do it with my travel shampoo bottle/container (that I actually bought in Canada) refilled with the shampoo I use; not using the “common generic shampoo” typically provided in accommodations. I am sure you would agree!

As I had the chance to apologize to you personally and now here in public… I’m sorry that I forgot about the drying rack and to replace the iron board that was needed in another Suite (it was not the iron you missed as per your 3am email). Again, we discussed this in person and I thought the issue was resolved and addressed for you. As I had the chance to tell you personally, you know the reason why I forgot to replace it considering the personal situation I was handling.

Overall, I’m sorry that the lack of drying rack, iron board and safe box were not available upon arrival and the “slight street noise coming from bathroom ventilation shaft” is something I cannot control as Lisbon is a metropolis and the capital city of Portugal. Thus, there will be some level of activity and sounds of the city. Unfortunately we did not match your 5 stars classification, but at the same time I’m very happy that these were the only items that made you classify us on a scale 4 out of 5. As I have noted, I am available to discuss Guests needs and issues of concern. My goal is to remedy any “problem” as soon as possible. All of these areas were handled quickly and professionally as you are aware.

Thanks once again for your constructive feedback. All suggestions are welcome and will be furthered explored to enhance the stays of future Guests. It is always a pleasure to interface with Guests, discuss their thoughts and opinions and to constantly evolve and satisfy all. In closing, I’m so happy to know you would stay here again dear Stinz3. Thank you once again for your review. I am glad that we had talked at length about your concerns and that everything was covered and rectified to your liking as well as mine. I know I will have a great pleasure to meet you once more in Lisbon and to have some quality time together as we had here in Lisbon two weeks ago.

Luis Zuzarte