“A family away from home”
Review of Oasis Hostel

Oasis Hostel
Ranked #42 of 445 Speciality Lodging in Lisbon
San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
“A family away from home”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Three of us went to spend time between Christmas and New Year at Oasis backpacker's, and it's one of the best places I've ever been. Not only was it clean, pretty and had lockers, but the people were also like a family! They organise weekly dinners cooked at the hostel and have events to which eveyone is welcome. You can also find people of all kinds and ages, which makes it feel very much like a traveller's home and not just a party place (although their parties are highly recommendable). Would go back any time, even if I was considering it as a long term option... Don't miss out!

Room Tip: The 8 bed dorm on the top floor has beautiful views
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
D
Reviewed 2 September 2013

good: nice interior, clean sheets, can get a towel for 1euro, they have a bar with beer tap, you can get breakfast for 3euro which looked ok (haven't eaten it myself), you can get a similar priced dinner, staff is friendly, nice relaxed cool atmosphere
bad: there was no locker for your valuables in our room and when I asked I was told there is no other place to savely store it (at reception for instance). I think a locker is standard and should be there. Also, it was really noisy until maybe 3am because people always made a party at the bar. Not good. Further, there was only one single toilet and shower (!!!) for the whole house. Some rooms had ensuite but a lot don't. I thought they were joking.

Köln, Deutschland
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed in the nice located hostel for 2 nights and changed the room after night 1.

My first room was a 12bed room with a safe and a nice balcony (including a wonderful view over the city). Bathroom was nice too.

Second room was a 8bed room without a safe, without balcony in the next building.
Here the ventilation could have been better. There were no fans installed. It was not nice to sleep there...

The best was the hotel staff. Extremly friendly.
I was wondering about the included breakfast buffet. Included was only the coffee and tea. For the individually prepared breakfast (no buffet) I had to pay a 3€ extra,

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Had a great stay, super friendly and helpful staff! Good walking tours and the location is fantastic. Clean and well equipped hostel! Would definitely stay there again, it was really easy to meet people.

Renton, Washington, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Really cool hostel with some pretty cool people. Amazing walking tours and location.

My experience was tainted by some of the guests, though. I stayed in a room with lots of other bunks, and everyone there was drunk as hell. Got really obnoxious, as they were up until 5am yelling and talking most nights both right outside the room, on the balcony, and in the room.

Maybe I'm too old for the hostel stuff, but I don't think so. It'd be a little nicer if the staff was a little more helpful on keeping people from going overboard with the alcohol and drugs.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I really enjoyed Lisbon, and I think that it had a lot to do with the location of Oasis Backpackers' Mansion. It was close to the trams, trains and metro and was in easy walking distance of almost everything in the old town. The staff here were all so friendly, helpful and accommodating and the 3 euro breakfast was awesome (it did take a while to get served tho). The rooms and general up-keep of the hostel was fantastic. Much cleaner than most other hostels I have stayed in! The only downside is that there was a little too much party happening with both guests and staff involved. Other than the noise I really did enjoy Oasis and I would recommend it to fellow travellers

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2013

After travelling for almost 3 weeks, my friend and I checked into Oasis Backpackers' Mansion. The staff was amazing and we never had to find our own activities because the hostel constantly had activities organized or suggestions of places to go. Our love for Lisbon would not have been the same if we had stayed anywhere else! The hostel organizes meals every day and it is well worth it, the 3 euro breakfast was better than anything myself or a restaurant could cook! The huge dinner table style of serving the meals truly makes you feel at home and encourages you to make friends and meet the other house guests. Amazing friendships were made with both the staff as well as other travellers! Every time someone asks me my favourite city/country or what hostel to stay in Oasis is always my #1 recommendation. There is the right mixture of party, relaxation, sightseeing and fun at Oasis Backpackers' Mansion! Rubenn, Tara, Nuno and Taylor are amazing, truly apart of my Lisbon family & family away from home! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends