“Only if you are on a really low budget...”
Review of Residencial Dublin

Residencial Dublin
Ranked #226 of 246 Hotels in Lisbon
madrid
“Only if you are on a really low budget...”
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I spent five nights in this place, and found it rather old, poorly maintained and on the dirty side... The pros? Convenient location, low price and friendly staff. I would pick some place else, if I were you, but you sleep comfortably (no outdoor noise, most rooms face inwards).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank csantonja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We booked the room for one night flying out. The room was clean and basic. It wouldn't have been so bad except the room smelled like urine. The door to the washroom didn't have a latch and wouldn't close so we wedged a toilet paper in between to keep the door closed. I asked for a different room, but was told the hotel was full. We had to have the A/C blasting to minimize the smell. I don't know if the other rooms would have had the same problem. We were in room 112. Unfortunately we had prepaid for the room. We should have just taken a loss and walked.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sayk9625

Travellers are raving about these Lisbon hotels

Camarillo, California
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This place gets high marks for price and comfort. Its location, one metro stop from LIsbon's central stop, is also not bad (Though the hotel is located a couple blocks from the metro and down a side street). The staff is friendly and casual. They did not need the money from us until we checked out. The room we were in (#102)was good and not so good. The furniture was modern and cheep. It really took away from the beautiful high ceilings and the fantastic crown molding. The showers were European small. There is air conditioning and a TV.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed here in May 2010 and I have rather mixed opinion. Firstly let's focus on the positive. The location was pretty great. On arrival, it did not seem like the best part of town, but in actual fact it turned out to be a great spot. It is walking distance from everything, but far enough away from the tourist hot sports that the shops and eateries are all that little bit cheaper - more local food at local prices, and we found some little gems in the area!

The second positive was the price. It was 50 euro per night for a twin room, through booking.com, so obviously we were expecting it to be rather basic.

The hotel, however,even with relatively low expectations, was rather disappointing for a number of reasons. Firstly, the room we were given was HORRENDOUS! Now bear in mind that I am not a fussy traveller and am very happy to stay in bunk beds in hostels and the likes.. but this was just plain dingy! It was tiny - just about fit the two single beds, the window was about two feet from the opposite wall outside, and the 'en suite' toilet and shower was actually a corner of the room partitioned off by a frosted glass partition! Now we kinda laughed it off, and were willing to grin and bear it, until what happened next!

When we had arrived there were four of us, but only two of us were staying in the hotel. We asked if we could leave all our bags in the room (which wasn't quite ready yet) as the two who were catching a flight later that afternoon wanted a stroll around town first. This request was met with a certain level of suspicion, as I think he thought we were all trying to stay there for the price of two people!! Anyway he reluctantly let us leave our bags in that horrible room. The lock on the door was very rickety, but I managed to get it closed, and was asked by the manager to leave the key at reception. On our return, we were given the key, but discovered not only was the room unlocked, the door was left WIDE OPEN! Now the innocent explanation was that the maid had gone into the room to make the beds and neglected to lock the door properly and it swung open..... however, considering the level of suspicion we had been greeted with on arrival, and the fact that one of the girls was quite sure her bag had been opened and things moved around, I do believe there is a chance they may have decided to have a bit of a nose in our luggage!! So obviously I complained about the lack of security, and after much huffing and puffing the manager offered us another room. Now it turned out this whole fiasco was a blessing in disguise, as the second room was MUCH better. It was an average basic twin room with a normal en suite and a functioning lock. I insisted that I hold onto the key and he reluctantly agreed. Happy days.

UNTIL the next morning! (or possibly it was later that evening, I cant quite remember). I cannot fully explain what happened next, as perhaps something had been lost in translation, but on walking down the stairs to reception we were greeted by a very angry woman aggressively shouting YOU PAY NOW, PAY NOW, PAY NOW!! Now I cant remember the exact situation, but as far as I remember when we arrived the manager had asked us to just pay the first night's deposit, and we could sort out the rest later. So when this angry woman started shouting at us, we tried to explain that we had paid for he first night, and in actual fact wished to pay the rest up front as I did not want the cash lying around. Again, I think there may have been somewhat of a language barrier, as she remained almost hysterical and treated us as if we were trying to steal from her. We asked to speak to the manager (who we had already learned to be a rather gruff man, but in fairness he could help us with our language problem, as he had some English, and we, unfortunately had no Portuguese at all) He greeted us with an equal level of aggression until I FINALLY managed to explain the situation to him. He took a look at the paper work (which was behind the desk all along), realised that the woman at the desk had made a mistake, and that actually we wanted to pay him in full, up front for the remaining four nights, so he totally changed his tune. Suddenly he was all sweetness and light to us, and was grossly disrespectful about the woman on the desk, who granted, was not very good at her job, but isn't it a bit unprofessional for a manager to basically dis his staff to the guests?! So anyway that was sorted, but the way we had been treated from the moment we walked into that hotel, really made me wonder about the class of clientèle with whom these people are used to dealing (I'm thinking perhaps some may pay by the hour!)

So the rest of the stay was absolutely fine, and if all that nonsense had not happened, I would be writing a fairly positive review! However, having seen the standard of the more dingy rooms, having been treated the way we were treated, and having witnessed the gross lack of security in the hotel, I would not recommend this hotel and would not stay here again.

By the way, just a side note about Lisbon. If someone approaches you and tries to sell you drugs, don't worry, just say no thanks you and they will leave you be (unless of course you are in the market for such items, then I cant advise, as I have no experience of this, but id imagine you're in the right place!) This seems to be perfectly normal in Lisbon! We were approached on several occasions by perfectly respectable looking middle aged men, and offered drugs. I even read it in the guide book that its a common occurrence and nothing to worry about.

Room Tip: if you get a horrible room with a glass partition for an en suite..... ask to change rooms, trust me...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank SetSail07
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The price is a true reflection of the type of accommodation to expect and the breakfast which is included is simple but an adequate start to the day. Rooms are small but comfortable. Good location with metro just round the corner and lots of places to eat nearby. We did however have an issue with one of the night reception staff. Each morning you hand in your key which you collect on your return. We had spend all day walking round Lisbon and wanted to shower and change before going out for the evening. The man was extremely rude, insisting that I had not given the key in that morning as he could not find it. Several people had witnessed me doing so. He then stated that he had met my kind before and the next thing I would be doing was involving the Police!!! I was totally dumfounded by this outburst and can only assume he was having a bad day. He had to let us into the room with a spare key and give us a broken key to insert into the electricity slot. We were unable to lock our room that night and checked out a day early.

Room Tip: We had the front facing one on the first floor just at the top of the stairs which was better than s...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Siand33
Vancouver
Reviewed 2 December 2011

We stayed at the Dublin in November. It is a budget hotel costing 40 euros a night and that includes a continental breakfast. The rooms are adequate with comfortable beds and very small bathrooms. It is located in a neighbourhood on the Rua Sta Marta which is a positive, and there are quite a few nice restaurants and bars along this street. The staff are extremely helpful especially Virgil and Paul. My daughter left her expensive calculator in the room when we left Lisbon. We called the hotel and they located it and held it for 10 days until we came back to Lisbon. We were grateful for this. The hotel is located about 6 blocks from the Marques de Pombal square which is on the Aerobus route so this made it easy to find from the airport. It is also only about 3 blocks off of the Avenue de Liberdade so you are close to Metro and bus stops. It is "rustic" so if you know going in what to expect, you can decide if this accomodation is for you.

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of the hall seemed to be a little bit larger.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian021
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Clean hotel, nice people, good and normal continental breakfast. Silence at night.
Worth what I paid for.