“Bom Dia at Doubletree”

Ranked #104 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
State College, Pennsylvania
“Bom Dia at Doubletree”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Completely impressed and satisfied by this brand new property! A sleek and inviting lobby opens into an urban lounge fringed by a cascading waterfall. The chic and pleasing staff made our stay fantastic! Greeted each morning by a genuine "Bom Dia", we enjoyed the fresh and hearty breakfast buffet. All of the servers were expeditious and attentive. We must give an "obrigada" especially to two staff members: At the front desk was the most helpful and courteous Maria Fo.
She arranged restaurant reservations and mapped out our metro stops. She made us feel welcome to ask any touristy questions and was generous with her time.
A second "obrigada" goes to our server Guillherme. He thoroughly impressed us with his professional service and made us feel like local residents and friends- valued guests. He made our evenings in the lounge enjoyable along with the fun and hip DJ spinning our favorite lounge music.
Besides the lovely staff, the rooms were very quiet for a restful sleep. Also, the metro was easy to navigate for Lisbon and bus/train stations from the hotel. Taxi rates are decent, just make sure the meters are running- we had one dishonest driver out of several, but stood our ground on the price.
Lovely stay with many thanks to the staff!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jason M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I was very well received, at this modern, great looking and well decorated hotel, by the receptionist Martha, she was great and made me feel welcome. Warm cookie, and early check-in were given to us, just for the record. In my first night, because I was in honeymoon, I decided to get a champagne to celebrate my marriage and so I asked at the front desk for a bucket of ice. The lady told me to ask at the bar and there I was asking to this waiter for a bucket of ice. He looked at me and laughed. He took the order of a couple which arrived two minutes after me and asked his colleague for a bucket of ice, again laughing. He wasn't aware that me and my spouse spoke perfect Portuguese, so my spouse was waiting for me at the end of the bar when I left they didn't see that my husband was waiting for me and watching everything at the back when they started making fun of me, immitating me and bullying me and my spouse because a bucket of ice. I felt like I was back in high school with a bunch of idiots around me. I really felt sick. Every time we passed by the bar, the same creatures would be there laughing at us. We spoke to the manager and nothing was said or done. I left a review card and again nothing was said or done. I was disgusted at the staff and the way they treated us. No towels were changed during our stay, no mugs, no bed made, nothing was done in our room. We just had to go to another hotel and try to forget one of the worse hotel stays we ever had. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Just choose another hotel if you don't want to get bullyed.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TravelerIE_12
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I was here only for one night, transfer before heading back home. I would stay here again if I ever come back to Lisbon for a true visit. The check-in folks were friendly and helpful, I think it's a good location to visit Lisbon, and it's a Hilton brand so I get the points. The totally black hallways make me laugh - I can picture some recently graduated pretentious design student thinking it is the most amazing visual. I don't find it completely objectionable, I just believe they will change it in 5 years.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank katderm
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel 4 nights with a group of 24 colleagues from the Netherlands from the 28th of August 2013 until the 1st of September 2013.

We very much appreciated the excellent and kind service we received during our stay. The quality of customer service and the atmosphere at the hotel were both great.

Even an incident with one of my colleagues during check-in was handled perfectly by the staff. In particular 'Bárbara' handled this matter very well and solved the situation in a very short time and with the least amount of inconvenience for my colleague.

We enjoyed our stay very much and will definitely be staying at the Fontana Park Hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a quite modern designed hotel and is really not suitable for people with weak eyesight as corridors and rooms are more or less all in black. We would call this an over designed hotel.
We were first given a room close to the elevator x01 and the WiFi did not work.
We were informed that the WiFi did not work due to the room's closeness to the elevator and due to (fully seriously) the wind outside!
We were informed that if we moved to another room x09 the WiFi would work. We moved but it did not solve the non working WiFi!!!
If you are charged EUR 3.5 per 24 hours the WiFi should work. It should work even if it is free. Today a non working WiFi is very annoying indeed. There is good WiF connection at El Corte Ingles in the restaurant at 7 floor or even closer to the hotel atthe Saldana Residence mall at the Valentino Bar Restaurant where they have good Pizza and reasonable good wine at reasonable prices and they do take credit card.
A good WiFi system should work in the whole hotel. In a good log in system, you log in once during your stay, using your last name and your room no. as login and password. At this hotel you ask for an Internet card every 24 hours for each equipment and then there is no reliable working WiFi connection.

We were shown a room at the 6 floor but that room was even darker as the window is small and is rather high on the outer wall. We declined to take that room.

The bathrooms are of a modern design with see through glass to the outer room. We do not like this as we believe in some privacy. The faucets are of a bad modern design. The sinks are awful. The bathtubs are very slippery and there is no slip mat available. Why a bathtub? We prefer shower cabins.

Why no lights in the closets? It is so dark!

The breakfast restaurant is not design for Americans or/and people who does not want to be continuously bumped into by neighboring guests or staff. The tables are too close. We were informed that they were aware of this.
Sunday breakfast the sparkling wine was suddenly "out of stock" ! Luckily they found a Rose Sparkling wine after our comment. It tasted good.
The Japanese restaurant is good but the service is rather slow. Some hot dishes were cooled down due the slow service, The tempura's daikoo
is missing and is served wrongly to the gyoza!

It is quite disturbing with all people smoking everywhere in Portugal. Close to the reception and the Japanese restaurant there is a smoking area.
The hotel is not smoke free and that is according to us also very disturbing.

The air conditioners airflow and temperature in the rooms we had were difficult to control to a comfortable level. Sometimes very cold and one morning very warm and no airflow.

There was a chlorine smell in the room and the towels had a strong smell of chlorine. We guess the hotel's laundry cleans the rooms towel in a lot of chlorine and the house keeping use a lot of chlorine detergents cleaning the rooms. It is very disturbing.
The housekeeping ones forgot all the amenities and also to empty the waste paper baskets! Another morning they forgot the hand towels!
When we asked for replacements it took more than half an hour and I had to go down to the reception to remind them.

The hotel has just changed the hotel management to the Hilton group and a lot of staff seems to be on training and/or should be trained. There seems to be very few experienced staff.

The most disturbing thing is the in the rooms non working WiFi and the chlorine smell in the room.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This has now been renamed Double Tree by Hilton havingbeingtaken over by the Hilton group. On first impressions this looks a good hotel, but when you look benneath the surface then this is where the problems occur.
First the check in ... slow and not enough staff...... i was given a room which was supposed to be a double room ..... this was two singlebeds pushed together. I was then given one of the disabled rooms which has a double bed ..... this was not clean andthere was dirt and a screw in the bath! Eventually i compromise and have the first room. Wifi only works i the hotel lobby and not in the bedrooms ... even after mentioning this nothing chnaged.... what do you expect for free wifi i guess!! i went to the bar and ordere a club sandwich which took 50minutes to arrive, even thou the hotel bar and restuarant areas were quiet. This came with cold meat and no apology. I waited a further 40 minutesto speak to the general manager... with no drink or food! The general manager was very good and had a drink with me and i ordered a burger which was ok. On the next day the buffet breakfast is not good. Tables are too close together and it feels like you are dining with other people at your table. Selection of food is ok, but service again is below Hilton standards. As i was not charged for my stay then this was a good hotel...... but if i had to pay then i would not have been happy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business