“Just right if you want to feel like a local -- and eat like one!”
Review of Ze Varunca

Ze Varunca
Ranked #3,375 of 4,541 Restaurants in Lisbon
Price range: US$15 - US$29
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This is a small not very expensive restaurant with an Alentajo menu. The staff speaks some English but basically this place is not for tourists. To the reviewer who felt the staff was rude, they had tables they were reserving for neighborhood folks and didn't want to give them to you -- you might not like that but the neighborhood folks come back and you are just passing through. I had a reservation and although I was on my own and occupying a table that couldn't had two, they honored the reservation and were perfectly polite to me.

The service was slow; I think they were cooking each dish individually. I was happy sipping my wine and eating my yummy appetizers and watching the families at the other tables. A mellow evening with good food.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Got a recommendation from a local friend and was more than satisfied. Went back in 2012 so I can't remember exactly what sort of grilled meat I got but it was succulent and memorably flavored. The server was a very sweet young woman who spoke enough English to figure out what we needed.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

This is my 2nd time here as a tourist to Lisbon. This time for lunch and the food is very good albeit a bit expensive for a simple lunch. The portion size I noticed is smaller than when I went for dinner but I guess that's expected. Family run restaurant which is always a plus!

Anything is better than the tourist themed restaurants not far from this place.

Book in advance if you can as it's really small.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Small place, maybe 10 tables, so we knew that we might not be able to get a table. A couple of tables with people, a couple of tables with 'reserved' signs, so I ask the server/host for a table for 4, and she spits out "NO" accompanied by a cutting motion with her hands.

Thanks for the heads up on how you treat customers. We were happy to walk out, and have a lovely evening at the nearby Quebra Mar restaurant.

1  Thank lomimu
Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

Ze Varunca is very small, very traditional and very good.

It's old-fashioned in all the right ways - simple, delicious food, charming atmosphere and friendly service. The staff don't speak English and the dishes are all local / Alentejo fare. You just have to muddle through - it's worth it. I tried English, French and Italian. No go there but I had a wonderful evening.

If you want modern, glossy and fashionable, don't go here. Tourists get a warm welcome but it seems set up for locals. That's a major plus for me though.

Amazing starters, all quite heavy hearty stuff. We had 5 (!) and enjoyed them all. You pick what you want and pay for what you take.

Definitely get coffee - the way it's served is so cool. You will never have had it presented to you as they do here.

Drinks after dinner? Choose blindly from the list - you'll get something unexpected and fab.

This place is the real, proper Lisbon. It's exactly right.

1  Thank ChrisA2012