“OK meal in a quite nice restaurant”
Review of Alfaia

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodré
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Eat here our last night in Lisbon. Restaurant looked nice from outside and was very busy wanted to sit outside as it was still quite warm and area was busy and interesting but had to take a table inside. Inside was quiabout.ceAdnd buzzing.
Brought the usual bread butter olives but this time also cheese and meat sent it all back except by bread and they were very put out by this - don't you not understand how this works said the waiter - that is why I am sending it all back (first time I have ever tried to be charged for butter on top of the charge for bread).

Anyway wife ordered suckling pig and it was very good although the chips were bad had been sitting too long and were not fress.

I ordered steak and it had to go back it was raw also chips weren't fresh. Steak better when it came back also fresh chips. Didn't fancy desert so ordered coffee had to remind them 30 minutes later as it was forgotten about.

As I said OK meal in nice restaurant don't think I would go back

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Sometimes one wonders what type of travel experience some people have when they write reviews that seem to have nothing to do with the restaurant. Such is the case at Alfaia, which we happened upon while wandering the Barrio Alto. We did read the reviews before entering, and were somewhat reluctant considering the wide range of opinions, but our experience was much more akin to those that enjoyed the experience. Everyone traveling in Portugal should know that the covert is always placed on the table but you are free to refuse it if you wish. The prices are always listed, and on this point I would agree that the covert is probably a little expensive, but not unreasonable. Regarding the service, it couldn't have been more pleasant. There was a large business crowd and it did take a bit of time to give our order, but from then on the service was friendly, prompt and efficient. The reason for going to a restaurant should mostly be the quality of the food, and our choices were superb, with exceptional Sopa de Alentejo and Caldo Verde, and excellent Ameijoas Bulhao Pato with reasonably priced wines served in large wine bowls. And how often is one presented complimentary after dinner drinks? This is a restaurant worth trying.

2  Thank rbgilmore
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My hopes were high for this restaurant because it is in a nice location and I was really hungry. The server presented us with a bread basket with a nice selection of cheeses, meats, olives, and butter. The server mentioned nothing when the plate was placed before us and I was ready to reach for a roll when my wife caught view of the prices: Bread, £2. Butter, £1 per mini square. Each piece of cheese was £6. A tiny ramekin of olives, £4.50. A few slices of ham, £4.50.

The locals seem aware of this trick and didn't touch the offering. We followed suit.

The rest of the menu was fairly priced. I had sardines for £10 and my wife ate grilled vegetables for £12. Both were average, at best. When presented with the bill, we were charged for the bread and insisted it was taken off as it was never touched.

Perhaps it is a cultural difference about the bread and cheese offering but we felt cheated and spent the rest of the meal suspicious we were getting a heavy does of tourist trickery.

Lisbon C, Gerente at Alfaia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

The Alfaia´s manager, agree and thank you for your feedback. Positive and constructives, or less positives, since they are truly.

Regarding your critic, we just remember you that, in Portugal, the prices are shown on the Euro currency, and not in Pounds, as you, our estimated costumer, referred.

The couvert service, is an option, and individual. And our costumer pays only for the goods he takes.

On Alfaia´s service, always when the couvert is set on the table, our costumer is informed.that this is optional, and individual. as well as the whole menu is shown outside, where you can check.
You have been advised about this service.

Kind Regards,

Hilário Castro.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Wow, for the first time I tried new food with confidence, the Raia Frita com Açorde de Coentros, never ate such delicious food. The sauteed batatas fritas, first time ever, so crispy and yummy. The wine list is incredible! On the next day I had the Picanha Fatiada na Brasa, OMG! I would go back in a blink! Prices are great also!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Huge red flag for Alfaia. This place is located in the Lisbon area of Bairro Alto, usually a very touristy place. Having some knowledge of Portuguese food from the years I lived in Portugal, Alfaia’s menu sounded very attractive with many typical dishes. We ordered octopus salad (‘salada de polvo’) as appetizer, which I have had many, many, times. ‘Salada de polvo’ is usually made of sliced boiled octopus. The slices are left marinating in olive oil, vinegar, parsley, and onion for a few hours. The problem here was that the octopus salad did NOT have any octopus, but a very cheap alternative called ‘pota’ in Portugal. ’Pota’ is a variety of the giant-squid that does not have the suction tips as octopus, nor does it have the characteristic consistency of octopus. Additionally, the slices from sectioning the octopus arms are circular, where the slices that we were served were quite oblong (please see photo). I spotted the trick immediately and informed the server “this is not octopus, but a cheaper alternative”. As expected, the server replied that he did not know what I was talking about. The maître had the same comment and asked me if I wanted a different appetizer. I replied that the problem was not what we had ordered, but the fact that the restaurant was fooling all customers by serving something different (and cheaper) from what was written in the menu. At the end I paid for the fake octopus salad. A few hours later I filed a complaint with ASAE, the local authority that deals with situations like the one I described here.

Three more comments - 1 - So many people come in and left during the time we were there that I thought there was something vey unusual about this place; 2 - The couvert is another tourist trap, simply overpriced; 3) the fish that I ordered was not fresh.

2  Thank nontroppo