“Great Stay... perhaps 4 Star”

VIP Grand Lisboa Hotel & Spa
Ranked #192 of 246 Hotels in Lisbon
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Stay... perhaps 4 Star”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Our group stayed here for 3 nights and found it a very accommodaing hotel where the reception staff were helpful and pleasant. The reception area and bar are smartly decorated. The bar wasnt expensive and just the place to meet on your way out or returning back... Didnt have dinner here but the menu looked ok and the breafast was good....Rooms were good and clean.. no probs. The location albeit a metro or cab ride away from the main areas was fine, the Metro is approx 400 metres away.. two stops and your in the centre... Taxi for 6... city centre to hotel was 10 Euros... I would agree with others that this is not 5 star and perhaps 4 / 3 is more appropriate.. but overall no problems and would consider using again.

Room Tip: Good hotel but being a metro ride away from the centre and if you dont enjoy walking far then its pe...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Co Antrim
Reviewed 3 October 2013

OK, I wasn't really expecting five star given the price I got it for on a special offer but there were some really disappointing aspects to my stay here that would stop me returning even if I won it in a competition with £1000 spending money thrown in.

The rooms are comfortable and have a "boutique trendy" feel to them although on close inspection the furniture has seen better days. Also contrary to what is on the website there is free Wi-Fi in the rooms as well as in the public areas. So far so good but now to the bad bits which on reflection can all be put down to one thing - too few staff most of whom are probably doing their best but are so overworked that they appear helpless, hapless or hopeless. I wondered whether they are getting any support from management as there was no sign of any "top floor" personnel at any stage of our stay.

The first problem started when we checked into our room and after a long journey felt the need of a cup of tea. Despite advertising tea and coffee making facilities in the room, there was no sign of any cups or kettle. We searched aimlessly for a while thinking it might be discreetly hidden in a boutique nook or cranny but to no avail so I decided to call reception. As there was no indication on either the phone or the guest information what number to call, I tried 9 for the operator three times without a reply. So I came down to reception (12 floors) and asked why I couldn't get through. The girl, obviously harassed, replied quite indignantly that she couldn't answer the phone because she was so busy! Anyway we got the kettle and cups - along with 3 teabags and an industrial amount of sugar. The cups and sugar disappeared the next day but at least they left the kettle!

Next feeling a bit peckish and too tired to go outside restaurant hunting we decided to try the hotel restaurant. Now we didn't have great expectations - edible if slightly overpriced food would have done us - but what we got was simply astonishing. Despite an attractive menu on display outside we were told on entering that only a buffet was available for 20 Euros a head. This consisted of salad and soup starter which was varied and OK although I had to ask the waiter for a soup bowl. The real shocker was the main course. We had to open up covered dishes to get access to some indeterminate scraps of meat and fish there was also a selection of Indian snacks, vegetables, rice and pasta. Everything was stone cold. Now I am not normally one to complain but I just had to call the waiter over and demand to see the manager. Some time later a very young girl showed up who appeared to be at a higher level than the waiter but didn't appear to have much more authority. She was very apologetic and couldn't disagree about the quality of food that was on our plates (we refused to allow them to be cleared from the table) but she was unable to offer any explanation or try to resolve the situation. I make a token payment for the drinks and salad we had consumed and left. So I would advise anyone, no matter how hungry to avoid this restaurant despite the blandishments about it "delighting your senses" with its "show cooking" displayed throughout the establishment. We went to the bar instead and had cheese and ham toasties (it would take a culinary genius to mess that up!) which were OK but took forever to arrive. As a result we stayed away from the breakfast areas so can't report on how good or bad that was.

On our second day my wife wanted to iron a few clothes that had got a bit wrinkled during travel. We didn't expect an iron in the room but had seen a member of staff taking one to another room. So I dialled 9 for reception ( they answered promptly this time!) and asked to borrow an iron only to be told "that is not possible". I have never come across such a response in any hotel I have stayed in before so, recovering from my shock, I enquired the reason for this only to be told that there was only one iron in the entire hotel (14 floors 250+ bedrooms) and another guest had borrowed it yesterday! I told the receptionist that that was ridiculous and he agreed with me.

Finally as we were leaving on a late flight we arranged to leave our bags at reception but were a bit disconcerted to find they were simply left beside the reception desk rather than put into the luggage room only 2 feet away. The staff were genuinely surprised that we insisted they were stored more securely.

We used a lot of taxis during our stay and staff were consistently helpful in securing them. The bar area was also quite pleasant to sit in. We left the room at unpredictable times and it was always meticulously cleaned on our return.

Overall not a good experience from the service and food aspect alone - Portuguese Tourism should be examining this establishment and removing at least two of its stars.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DashMcCabe

Travellers are raving about these Lisbon hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Despite experiencing a nice room, pool area and facilities I would never recommend anyone stay at this hotel. I stayed in an executive suite over the weekend with a large number of colleagues. I left my room for the day and when I returned an expensive and sentimental ring was stolen from the bathroom. I know exactly where I left it and when I returned it was gone. After speaking to many unhelpful members of staff who did not even bother to take down my details I finally spoke to someone 24 hours after the incident had occurred who took my name and number and said they would call. They still haven't been in touch. For a supposed five star hotel this is disgusting service and I would never expect an item to be firstly stolen from a room and secondly not acknowledged by your staff. I would never recommend this hotel now as the staff cannot be trusted.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Jane K
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Very helpful staff and modern rooms with rerasonable aircon.
Nice touches like hideaway for bags and 'global' hygiene arrangements in bath / wetroom. Free wifi everywhere. Ditto water which can be expensive rip off was free in minibar and around hotel.

Multilanguage tv but Sky news did not work, only BBC.

Very quiet. Handy for university area and some banking ares. Metro near. Breakfast cold buffet reasonable but hot was undercooked. Bar staff untrained. Did not try pool or spa.
Think of as a superior 3 star not 5 at any stretch, so getting a good deal not rack rate is vital. Best of 3 or 4 similar hotels in area I have used, Would return.

Room Tip: Have been in 2 widely separated rtooms here. Identical.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Starting with the positive points, it has free wifi, free parking space, a nice design in general and subway very close.
Now, on the other hand, the pool is pretty tiny and the sun just "come out" after noon, because it sits behind the building. There's no suficient sunbeds (about 20) and the existing ones were pretty dirty (white mattresses with a lot stains). About the room, it wasn't a non.smoker room as requested, the furniture was in a poor condition (cracked woods, doors unable to close) and a constant noise from an air conditioning all night long (if you have a light sleep, it can be a problem). Bed sheets with holes, dirty carpets (please DO NOT use carpets!!) and only one amenity, a water heater... so poor!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We got a fairly cheap deal at this hotel - if we had paid the full price, we would have been very disappointed, but if you prepare yourself for a three-star experience it's fine. It's a soul-less tower block, although the lobby has been nicely decorated. The room had a scuffed, damaged carpet, cheap furniture and a thick layer of calcium scum around the shower head in the bathroom. Most of the staff on the hotel desk do not acknowledge your existence when you walk in, although one or two were actually trying. There are nice little touches like a water bottle in the lobby which is left empty almost all of the time. I wouldn't normally bother so much about such details, but when combined with five stars above the door, it's a bit of a joke. Breakfast costs €20 - cannot rate the quality as we mainly went over the road where you can get coffee and lovely pasteis de nata - and great service - for €1.40. There's a pool, which is small but okay. The location is quite far from the centre but handy for the Campo Pequeno underground station which will take you into town, and the Entre Campos railway station which goes to Sintra.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sitges, Spain
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Where to begin-- bathroom needs better up keeping around the shower, air con weak, hallways smell of smoke despite non smoking floors, pool is tiny and dirty, staff try hard but can't meet expectations of a five star hotel. It is misleading for Priceline to include it in same category as Sheraton Lisboa , Tiarra Park or Four Seasons which truly meet criteria.

• Stayed August 2013