“You may be given a very smoky IKEA house for a room”
Review of Quinta das Murtas

Quinta das Murtas
Reviewed 27 July 2013

When looking for a place to stay, I rely on Trip Advisor and I immediately go to the terrible and poor reviews. I also consider the total number of reviews and the proportion of bad ones to good ones. After reading the reviews for Quinta das Murtas I felt confident that this would be a fun and fine place to stay. I was excited about to opportunity to hold a real parrot. Most of the complainers were complaining about having to go up and down the hill (it is a short walk and not that bad), the birds and frogs being loud, and about rain ruining their stay.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE! I reserved a double room through Lonely Planet’s booking website. From the photos and website, I though this was going to be a room in the historic mansion. Our room was essentially a cheap IKEA 'apartment' house called “The Lake house” situated in the garden in front of the AstroTurf pond that is called a lake. When we entered “The Lake house” we were overcome by extremely strong cigarette smoke smells. The entire place smelled extremely strongly including the tiled bathroom. There was also a cigarette burn on the dirty white area rug. The smell was so strong we left our luggage in the car and only brought one outfit each to the place and opted to leave our clothes outside on the plastic chairs. I was so upset by this that I marched back up to the mansion and told the young man who checked us in that we absolutely needed another room.

To his credit, he gave us another IKEA house. Not to his credit, he denied any knowledge that this place stank of smoke and wanted my to show him. I don't know how anyone could not notice the smell, but perhaps the fact that every staff member we saw smoked could begin to explain such. Upon taking him down there to show him the burn mark and have him inhale to stench, he blamed “the girl” and said she was a new girl and "she didn’t know". I informed him that clearly someone had been living in here a long time and smoking inside all the time and there is no way he did not know about this. We suspect that these 'apartments' may be long-term rentals at times.

The new IKEA house was named “Casa de Patrao” which is located by the pool and this place smelled very heavily of a chemical potpourri (there was one plugged into an outlet). Other posters mentioned strong potpourri smells that they thought was covering up another smell. Well, as it so happens, that night we realized that that smell is none other than cigarettes and laying in bed it permeated up from that pillows, sheets, and mattress. When we showered in the morning, we dried ourselves off with cigarette-scented towels – another nice touch. I should also mention as a plus that at this IKEA house, I was able to get the Wi-Fi to work very well on the patio (otherwise you had to go to the main house and use one of the rooms near the router). The downside is that everyone (staff, guests, families that appear to be living in the IKEA houses long term) uses the steps and patio of this 'apartment' as a thoroughfare in spite of other paths to get around the property. The humidity is high here and we did notice some mold growing in various places inside the unit, though it was not terrible.

I do not know what the rooms in the house themselves are like, so can't comment there. My advice would be to find somewhere else. In fact, finding the property and parking is a real challenge (as it may be for many in Sintra center) - considering the tight and confusing roadway and pedestrian density, you may be better served staying slightly outside Sintra center and taxi into town.

In reference to other reviewers, if you are a light sleeper, you should be aware that the frogs and birds can be noisy at night or the morning - it felt like camping to us since we left the sliding door cracked (to air out smells), so we didn't mind. But, speaking of the sliding doors, they didn't seem to lock.

Room Tip: Do not settle for one of the "apartments."
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This "away-from-it-all" bed and breakfast, walking distance from Sintra's city centre, is a perfect place to enjoy a magnificent landscape. Family-owned, run by two charming siblings, with an aviary of parrots and cockatoos off the main dining room, it offers spacious suite-like rooms with generous bathrooms. The sights of Sintra are easily accessible on foot from QdM, as are many great restaurants. Breakfast had many choices and coffee was strong enough for our taste. I would stay here again in a heartbeat if I am lucky enough to get back to Sintra some day.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CartaMusica
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here recently on our honeymoon. You may want to go a touch higher class if you are here for a special reason like that, but i was going for nice AND affordable.
I signed up on line and didn't realize were weren't in the main building. We got a tiny house on the grounds. It was cool and private. We were right on the pond they are building and that was the bad part. The workers were outside talking and working while we tried to sleep in. Once the work is done it should be fantastic! The grounds are really coming together. They have the pond with ducks, a pool (it was too cold to enjoy yet) and lots of birds in several enclosures. you can go feed them apples and they will stand on you. Very cute, but also a little loud in the morning.
Breakfast was your usual fare and the breakfast room is lovely. juices, bread, cheese, cereals and fruits.Wifi was only in the common areas and i did manage to grab it outside of the tiny house. So that was nice to sit on the deck and use the computer.
The staff was VERY nice.
We went out to go to the moorish castle and pena palace. We followed GPS and drove all over before settling on a parking spot and walking the rest of the way. It ended up that we basically parked right outside of Quinta das Murtas. So, you can walk from here to the sights. It took about 45 minutes and was a little strenuous at times but if you are remotely in shape you can do it. The roads are crazy so walking is easiest in the long run.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what you are signing up for. There are 3 tiny houses which afford some privacy b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This hotel offers: a good location, reasonable value for money, very friendly staff, an unusual and entertaining breakfast dining experience thanks to all the tropical birds knocking their beaks on the window demanding attention, free wi-fi in the public areas only, individually decorated rooms and lots of character.
However, be warned that when my friend and I tried to take showers in the evening the plumbing was erratic. The shower water either scalded or froze, trickled or stopped altogether. In the morning there was no problem and I was able to take a shower with full pressure and easily moderated temperature. Also, I advise you to bring your own soap since I didn't like the smell or texture of the liquid soap provided.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CAD2007
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Arrived here on a dark & wet January evening, not easy to find, but well worth the effort. Lovely spacious room to sleep 3, with traditional painted furniture. Beautiful old house, well maintained. The owner was most helpful & friendly, suggested where to eat, what to see & provided maps etc.A very good continental breakfast was served buffet style in a breakfast room looking out on to a garden with parrots, cockatoo & other birds & animals....most amusing & fun.Unique, quirky & excellant value. May be worth enquiring about where to park as very tight for space by the house & beware one way streets!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pearlthehorse
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed in Quinta Das Murtas on our first night in Portugal before moving on to a Villa for a week. I chose Sintra because it was not too far from Lisbon Airport, but in an outstandingly beatiful area. The family were extremely helpful in talking us in to the Hotel after some car hire issues; we arrived late but there was no problem. We were directed into Sintra for food which was walkable and needed. The room was great, clean but full of character. When we woke up we realised it was not a dream and things got better as we enjoyed freshly prepared breakfasts whilst looking out on the aviary; no problem about leaving the car parked up when we explored Sintra in the morning. A great way to start a holiday.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The service was great, the room was very original and very big. I enjoyed every bit of the experience. The garden was beautiful with lots of amazing parrots. Highly recommended, specially for a romance weekend.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple