“Great Location, Great Value”

Hotel Tivoli Sintra
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Sintra
Marina del Rey, California
“Great Location, Great Value”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were making last minute reservations for Sintra over the weekend and selected the Tivoli.

We had a little trouble finding the hotel but since it's located on the main plaza of the hotel it had to be me.

I'll get the one negative out of the way up front, the garage is not for the fainthearted. Tight turn to get in and tight parking.

The location is great. Right in the middle of things. Easy walking to the main sites.

The staff was great. I could not praise them enough. Yes, the rooms are a little dated. But they are good sized, clean comfortable and a good bathroom with a good shower. Plenty of English channels, but an old tv and not a flat screen. But if you get a room with a view and balcony (which I recommend) you won't care about what's on TV.

A little bit of street noise at night but nothing unreasonable.

And the breakfast was fantastic. Really a classy European hotel breakfast.

And for parking you can always park for free a little outside of the historic district and move in closer at night since the town empties out after 6 pm.

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony and a view. It's worth it and you'll regret it if you don't o...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PedroFrazao_GM, General Manager at Hotel Tivoli Sintra, responded to this review, 1 February 2016
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at the Tivoli Sintra with us.
We were happy to hear that you liked the location of our hotel, right in the center of the Sintra Village, next to all the region's monuments and tourist sights.
At Tivoli Sintra you can enjoy the nature, history and leisure which the Sintra Village offers.
We look forward to being able to welcome you back on your next stay in Sintra.
Pedro Frazão
General Director of the Tivoli Sintra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel has seen better days. The rooms are big but the furniture is dated and the stained carpets well over due a change. The staff made a complete mess of my room booking and taxi pick up, were unresponsive and unhelpful with various requests and didn't seem in the slightest bit concerned or apologetic for the hassle. I checked out after one night to a hotel that's worthy of their 4 stars.

• Stayed September 2013

Travellers are raving about these Sintra hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights in August. Overall, it was a nice stay. The views from the terrace outside were amazing- the sunsets over the hills probably made it worth staying here in the end. The rooms are large but dated and no coffee/ tea facilities. The hotel is located in the old town right next to the sintra national palace and close to restaurants, patisseries and local transport hubs (great for getting to the Pena palace and the castle). No free wifi unless you're willing to pay 15 euros a day (I wasn't!).

My biggest gripe though was that we had chosen this hotel because of its hotel parking having been forewarned that Sintra is notoriously difficult to find a parking space (and the streets reminiscent of the Italian Job don't help!). When we arrived we were told that the car park was full and would have to find our own. We eventually did get a space in the car park after one became free but, the next day, when we left for the day to go to the beach I asked if a car parking space could be kept for us- the response wasn't v helpful. 'Sort yourself out' attitude.

There were parking spaces in front of the hotel too and a sign that they were for hotel clients only but little sign this was actually being enforced.

Sounds like a small problem but if you've ever driven in Sintra you'll know what I'm talking about!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a view over the valley, we got a room looking over the national palace which surprisin...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma C
Newcastle
Reviewed 16 July 2013

As the title says, it is a good location, but ... I really felt like the hotel was trying to squeeze me at every opportunity.

Starting with the positives, it is very close to the old centre of Sintra and the front of the hotel looks out to the old palace. The rooms are quite large and the selection of toiletries is appropriate for a 4 star hotel.

But on the downside I got the feeling that everything was a bit too much effort. I needed to catch a train back to Lisbon on the Sunday and so I asked what time the first train left - "I think it is about 6:40". When I asked if this was the actual time and could he please confirm it, this all seemed a bit much effort and was done rather grudgingly (it is actually 7:10 if you wanted to know). No free wifi but you can buy 24hr access for 15 Euros - which may have been standard 5-10yrs ago, but feels positively antiquated now. I also needed to iron a shirt as I was there for a wedding. No irons were available and it would be 7 Euros to get housekeeping to do it. None of these were major issues, but it just didn't leave me with a positive feeling.

In terms of practical issues, my room was a good size, but very dated - think lots of wood panelling and it was really starting to look quite tired in parts. The bathroom had been renovated and everything worked as it should.

All in all, it was OK, but I just felt I was being taken for a bit of a ride. If I was to go to Sintra again, some of the other wedding guests stayed in a similar priced hotel with the word Boutique in the title which had been recently refurbished and where getting an iron etc wasn't a big issue. That would be my choice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Big_swim
Seabastian Fl
Reviewed 13 June 2013

You can't go wrong with this hotel. Right in town near the palace with great views of the surrounding area. A clean modern hotel with a heplfull staff. The rooms are a good size with comfortable beds and a few tv stations in english. Underground parking in the hotel and walk to everything.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoeSeabastianFl
copenhagen
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The hotel locates in the historical centre of Sintra, very close to the national palace of sintra. The view from the balcony is good - montain with two castles and even a little bit sea
However the furniture in the room is very old. I did not really care about the wardrobe though, as I only stayed one night. something wrong with the sink in the bathroom. I only took a shower however it took forever for the water to get down
The girl in the reception is nice and helpful.
Tipadvisor is blocked from the hotel internet? At least I could not access

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

It was my second time in Tivoli, Sintra. Although, we had to wait for our room to be ready, I would recommend this hotel. If you're coming with car they have parking and garage. The minus is no free wi-fi and it's a four stars hotel.

• Stayed May 2013