“Stiff, dated, impersonal”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Sintra
Wales
“Stiff, dated, impersonal”
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Stayed for 3 nights at end July. Booked it 7 months in advance as part of our honeymoon. Requested smoking double with balcony and was confirmed.
Arrived early so paid to park (not easy to find a space in Sintra), and went and had lunch. On returning, we checked in and were told that we could have a twin with no balcony. When we said we had booked 7 months ago as part of our honeymoon (not really wanting a twin room) we got a blank look and were told we could have a smoking double (with no balcony) but it would be smaller. In the meantime the receptionist was answering a call on the phone and dealing with us in between. In the end the manager (we assume) who had been sat there while we tried to check in told her to deal with us and he took the call. Eventually we ended up with a7th floor double smoking room (no balcony). As this room was at the end of the hotel it had a small seating area/lobby inside the door way and the view from these windows was fine, but the bedroom window looked over someting across the road that resembled Fred West's garden and the flat roof of the hotel below. We were not offered any local information at check in such as map or list of attractions or places to eat. Looking around the hotel after check in, it looked very 80's and dated. Clean, but seemed stiff and unwelcoming. We noticed the bar had a "happy" hour 7:30 -8:30 so thought we'd give it a try. As only one other couple were in thebar, service was quick. But it sems that "happy" in Portuguese must mean something different than in English. Chuckles the barman, did however bring our drinks out to the balcony (which had a fab view and good for photos!) and also brought some nuts. Ideal location if you wanted to stay in Sintra, but as we found it so toursisty we tried not to. On our 2nd day when we returned to the hotel we noticed that there was a chained off parking space outside the hotel. We asked if we could use it and were told "certainly", and that also there was also a hotel garage on the ground floor. Would have been nice to have been told that at check-in. Unfortunately the last night we stayed we were late returning and went to use the garage. It was full, very tight and we ended up parking on the pavement at back of the hotel. Check out was efficient but emotionless, and seemed very much as if staff were just doing their job. We stayed in 6 hotels during our honeymoon, this was one of the dearer ones, and was the worst by far. Very disappointed and would not go back. Wish we'd stayed at our previous hotel (Carvalio in Evora) an extra 3 nights ! P.S. Tivoli is an anagram of I Lov It........... Not !

3 Thank DaiButt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2009

The Tivoli Hotel was recommended for a workshop I was attending in Sintra. I booked the hotel for eight days. The location was good, service seemed good, and my room was large, on a lower floor, but with a view of the hills. I asked whether there were better views from higher floors, and the receptionist said yes, and that would be possible in a day or two. He added that they wanted me to have a nice room and pleasant stay since I would be there for an extended period. I checked back the next day—no possibility for change. I checked the day after that—no possibility. During that time, my TV was not working. It took two days for there to be a technician who could fix the TV. I happened to find out that there were better rooms, but the manager decided that I should not move, did not need to move, or whatever. I did not appreciate having this run-around, and, meanwhile, found out from a friend that Lawrence’s Hotel was available for the same price I was paying at the Tivoli. I asked again about a better location. Again, the run-around. I said I expected to check out since they were unable to place me in another room and did not seem to value my business. Because I had a class in Quinta da Regaleira until noon (checkout time), I asked for an extension of two hours to check out. No! I went back at about 1pm and said I was planning to leave. Then they had me look at another room on a higher floor. It was a tiny room with hardly any view. An insult, as if I didn’t know the difference! I decided that was enough—I was leaving, did not want to be there for another night. No good will at all from management in this hotel—other attendants were nice and responsive. I asked to share the cost of that night, which, of course, would have to be paid. No! This was definitely “the hotel of No”! I moved to Lawrence’s, paid twice for that night, and I was so happy to be in a place where service and kindness were all about. Please see my writeup about Lawrence’s. Warning: mattresses in Portugal tend to be hard!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Fresca'smom

Travellers are raving about these Sintra hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed here with my wife for our honeymoon. Stayed 3 days and 2 nights. Asked for a pickup from Lisbon airport which they organised. The driver was waiting for us with our names on a sign. Took about half an hour and cost us €50 which is quite expensive seeing as you can get a train from Lisbon Rossio train station to Sintra for less than €2. You will however need to get to Rossio station then walk about 2 kilometres from Sintra but it would still be cheaper if you took taxis to and from stations.
At the hotel, we were greeted, given all the information we needed and it was very smooth and helpful. In fact, whenever we asked them for help, they couldn't be more accommodating. Got a free bottle of French sparkling wine, strawberries and local cakes as part of 'Romance Package'.
Tivoli Hotel must be the most central in Sintra and although the decor is slightly dated, the views onto the valley are gorgeous and it is very clean.
A great place.

israel
Reviewed 14 July 2009

this is a very elegant hotel in the middle of historical sintra, right in the central plaza.
the room we had was spacious and had a beautiful valley view. the breakfast was excellent and there was a nice view from the breakfast room. there is parking place in front of the hotel. very clean (all portugal is clean...). the hotel looks rather ugly on the outside but the indoors are elegant and beautiful. we enjoyed our stay.

Reviewed 13 July 2009

Others have said it before, but this hotel is tops for location. Just can't be beat. It's right across the street from the National Palace and steps away from lovely shops, restaurants, the tourist office, and bus stops. In spite of all this, our room was quiet. Yes, the bell clanged every 15 minutes, but we found it charming. It didn't interfere with our sleep. There is currently construction on the valley view side, and one should be forewarned about that this summer. In spite of that noise, we still enjoyed our room. The view was charming.

As others have noted, the furnishings could be updated, but we didn't feel they were worn or dirty. Rooms vary in size so you might ask about that when checking in. Ours was larger than some and had ample storage and a safe. We enjoyed our balcony, and thoroughly enjoyed eating pastries from the nearby shop along with a great port from a nearby shop while sitting on the balcony.

The only downside to our room was the smoky smell. After we aired it out several hours, it went away, but non smoking rooms would be a plus.

The breakfast buffet was lovely. It had a wide variety of foods, all fresh and of good quality. Dining by the large picture windows each morning was delightful. We found the staff to be polite and extremely professional. We dined in the restaurant one evening and had a delicious meal, extremely well prepared and professionally served. Another evening we walked to the restaurant near the town hall toward the rail station. The name is the Regional, and it was a lovely meal and lower in cost than some of the restaurants nearer the Tivoli. The walk beside the ravine and lined with statuary is a delight.

The hotel has a tiny business center with free internet. It was great for staying in touch.

If I returned to Sintra, I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
llandudno,north wales
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Me and my new husband just stayed for 4 nights at the hotel Tivoli in Sintra. On arrival check in was swift and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was in a perfect location, right opposite the National Palace and right in the historic centre.
The room and the whole hotel were kept spotlessly clean.
The views off the balcony were just spectacular!
The breakfast buffet was brilliant, there was too much to choose from!
We've seen some reviews on here complaining of the bells ringing from the church round the corner, but I hardly noticed them at all, I think through the whole stay I probably noticed them twice, so don't let this put you off!
The only critisism my husband has is that there were no tea making facilities in the room.
We would highly recommend this hotel and Sintra!

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2009

My fiancee and I stayed here for one night on July 6, and were extremely pleased with this hotel. I had read the reviews of the noise issue with the church bell, so requested a room on the other side of the hotel. I never once heard the bell and it was extremely peaceful at night. The hotel room was very nice, a good size, and had a terrace. The hotel's rate was very reasonable, and it included an excellent breakfast buffet. I really don't know why anyone would not pick this hotel as a place to stay in Sintra. As far as location, it is ideal! You are right next to the tourist information office and the bus stop that takes you to all the important sites in town. One of the special things about this place was also the excellent customer service that was provided at the front desk. I wish I had gotten the name of the woman who helped us, but we arrived into Sintra after the sites had closed and she had recommended a local Medieval Faire to attend that weekend. She arranged for taxi service to and from the faire, and went above and beyond to help us out. It was some of the best, friendly help that we have ever received at a hotel. Stay here!!!!!

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple