“Simply adorable place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Quinta da Capela

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sintra
Quinta da Capela
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Sintra
Vancouver, Canada
“Simply adorable place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2006

I have been meaning to write about this charming Inn since we returned from Portugal.
It would be a shame to go to Sintra and miss staying here. But I would echo previous reviewers sentiments regarding the charming rooms/vistas and the lovely relaxing garden. From our attractive comfortable (never did find a soft bed in Portugal or Spain unless staying at a US Chain hotel) and spacious room, one could relax on the chaise and gaze out the window at 4(four) castles at once! It was like being in a fairytale but with one's eyes wide open. The castles are magical to visit too.
We dined one night at the incredible Hotel Tivoli Palacio de Seteais which was a wonderful experience. A special treasure indeed.
The only thing to be aware of is that the Quinta da Capela is outside Sintra in the mountains/hills. One needs a car to stay there and we were not so happy about driving at night!!
Even with that fact, we still wouldn't have missed it for the world.

• Stayed October 2004, travelled on business
8 Thank decorate

Tunbridge Wells, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2005

This place is simply magical - a perfect antedote to the stresses of modern life. Set in a lush green valley in Sintra, every window of the old manor house has stunning views; distant domes and palaces (illuminated at night), beautifully manicured gardens and patios filled with exotic plants. The interior is spectacular too, with all the rooms tastefully decorated with Portuguese antiques and a roaring log fire in the lounge. I brought my wife and a group of friends with me for a long weekend, and everyone is eager to return. Having booked the Quinta some time ago I was somewhat alarmed to read a couple of negative reports from guests who stayed in May. I am now staggered that anyone could find something negative to say about this place! If I really wanted to "nit-pick", some toiletries in the bathrooms would have been welcome. Marc and his charming staff were ever present and helpful. The fish restaurants they recommended along the Atlantic coast were excellent. All in all, a perfect weekend.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank Graham2109
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2005

I felt in love 25 years ago. and I came back every year. Quinta da Capela is my loving place, my relaxing space, whenever I want. In all this years I took the best of my friends and lovers to Sintra, to Quinta da Capela. I know every room in the house, everly little walk through the gardens down to the see. the old gardener is still the same, and marc zürcher and arturo pereira became friends in all this years. Sintra is a romantic place with spectacular views. By night you can see the illuminated castles arround. By day from the garden you see the glimmering see over the lemontrees. you can sit in the garden under a figtree, reading or rolling down do the adraga beach nearby. When you arrive: you relaxe. In Quinta da Capela you feel private in the beautiful rooms and comfortable with the nice stuff. You feel like home. Like me. No better place to feel wonderful.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2005

I stayed at Quinta da Capela for three nights in August with my wife. We rented one of their suites, Suite #1, and it was spacious and absolutely lovely. The suite had a private front sitting porch, a large bathroom (with both a tub and shower), a living room, bedroom (with mosquito netting -- but we didn't use it), and a hallway where there's a desk. Separated from the main houses (and the non-suites), the suite area is fairly private and offers breathtaking views of the forested regions nearby. There's only ten rooms, including suites, in the entire place so it is fairly private. Breakfast is served in the main house. There's a tiny pool on the premises which is not heated but can be refreshing on a hot summer day. Also, there are many cute sitting areas all over the estate. Our only complaint was that suite #1 shares a wall with suite #2 and the crying baby in the neighboring suite seemed like he was in our suite. However, when we closed the door to the sitting area and turned on the radio (located in the suite) then it completely blocked out the sounds of the baby.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank BuffaloTourist
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2005

The grounds of this historic place are absolutely beautiful. This would be a really great place to go with friends because there are so many cool places to sit and chat over drinks while enjoying breathtaking views of the countryside, moorish castle ruins and palaces in the hills surrounding you (be sure and bring our own cocktails/wine - their limited bar is in the sitting room and it's pour it yourself and write what you took on a pad of paper to be charged to your room). It was very secluded and quiet. The villa itself was very beautiful in a rustic way, both inside and out. The bed in our room was unfortunately VERY hard - like sleeping on a boxspring. The bathroom was pretty basic and not luxurious. The pool, once we finally found it was about half-full (granted it WAS late April - so not unexpected I guess) and tiny. This is not luxury but very charming, unique, and one of those places that I would love to visit again someday and bring friends. Next time I'll try one of the more expensive suites on the upper floor - maybe the beds are softer up there. The spectacular and expansive grounds, and being able to just lounge around in such a peaceful and picturesque place is worth at least one night's stay there.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank tcamp
Amsterdam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2005

I was greatly disappointed with Quinta da Capela. After reading all the great reviews my anticipation of staying here was really high (perhaps that was the problem). Yes the setting is gorgeous, and the main house is charming and rustic but if its comfort you are after give it a miss. The bed was far too small my feet hung over the edge and the shower hardly worked. We booked for two nights but only stayed the one.

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank AmsterdamPoppet
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2005

This place is precisely as you see it, charming and beautifully restored. However, it is not without egregious problems, not the least of which their definite inability to be honest about confirming a reservation. Having arrived, I did not receive the suite I requested but demurred and said nothing. It had been confirmed, and worse, I was told after 2 days of being there, that they were fully booked the last night for which I had a written confirmed reservation. Indicating that I must be mistaken, in spite of email documentation, Marc the manager, made no real attempt to own his error. He argued that I made the mistake, in spite of refusing to show me documentation, We were left to fend for ourselves, albeit with help from the nice Portugese-speaking assistant. Marc was nowhere to be seen for most of our visit, and was not remotely helpful. His arrogance was notable. The room was freezing cold in spite of an electric space heater, and there was but a trickle of water for a shower each of our four attempts over 2 days. It was impossible to shower or bathe. So, in spite of how lovely the site is, the nearby pousadas are a better bet, unless you would like to take the possiblity that you will be cancelled when a better deal comes along for the bookings at the Quinta. Another couple also staying the nights we were there also had the same experience and were put up at another nearby Quinta that was not so nice...all because someone booked later for longer and they could make more money. Buyer beware...Portugal is charming and you need not take this risk! Do not get sucked in by the website...it WAS beautiful, grossly uncomfortable, and the manager was unsatisfactory. I was so disappointed!!!!!

Stayed May 2005