“Stay away from this place.”
Review of Hockey caffee - CLOSED

Hockey caffee
Cuisines: Portuguese
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have already been suspicious when the two ladies on the table next to us looked at their bill. It seemed like they had the shock of their life.
Fortunately, we were careful enough then to only order two small things: a pizza margharita and a quiche. Even before you order anything, they bring you a nice cheese with bread rolls which you can consume while you are waiting. They suggest that this would be a free service, as they bring it to you without asking you if you want to have it or telling you the price. Luckily, we asked just to be sure if we have to pay extra for the cheese and they said yes. So we just ate the bread rolls, for which they charged us 2€. Probably they would have charged us another 15€ if we had just touched the cheese.
In the end we paid 20€ for a very small quiche and very small Pizza margharita, which is a horrific price for Portuguese standards. Clearly a business model aimed to rip off tourists.

1  Thank Lukas M

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stopped for a quick meal while visiting Sintra attractions. We were pleasantly impressed by the friendly, quick service, nice presentation of the food and, most important, the food itself. I had a simple pizza and salad, both very nice, and a delicious cappuccino. My partner loved his osso buco (and I loved the bite I tried); the desserts--crepes, pastries and sundaes--looked amazing, but we sat outside and it became too breezy for me to order and enjoy one of the tall ice cream creations I saw served to other customers.

Everything clean and nicely designed, and the inside dining areas looked great, too!

1  Thank sioux100
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

3.5 EUR for just a coffee
I've never seen such a silly price in Portugal

2  Thank wanakaramea
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Let's strt with bright side: there was a place to sit down in pretty normal conditions, not like in other cafes where everything is so tight.... Great chocolate for drinking, very tasty olives and stinking, strong cheese for prestarter, very good chicken salad with fruits.
On the other hand - ripping off prices for unclear and not very helpful service looking at you as you were a cash machine... Not nice. And dishes with tomatos were awful.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Like I suspect many people we visited Sintra as a day trip on the train from Lisbon. Usual Portugese standard train service (Chaotic queues at Lisbon ticket booths and totally inadequate automated exit gates at Sintra station !). Having strolled around the town for an hour or so we looked for somewhere for a coffee.

We went into 3 or 4 small backstreet cafes - the sort of local place we usually visit - they were either so cramped by virtue of cramming so many seats in or had some odd ordering system with only Portugese to explain it that we gave up and were going to just go back to Lisbon when we saw this place

Loads of seats - English menu and very very friendly staff. Some excellent hot chocolate and deserts.

OK it was pricey but it was a life saver.