“Well Preserved Collection of Aircraft”
Review of Air Museum

Air Museum
Ranked #17 of 70 things to do in Sintra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Air Museum. Our purpose is to tell the story of the Portuguese aviation through its people and collections.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Buxton
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Well Preserved Collection of Aircraft”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We used public transport to get to the museum. Take the train from Lisbon Rossio station to Portela de Sintra.

On alighting from the train use the underpass to get to the other side of the station. There is a line of several bus stops. With the station behind you, it is the next to the last one on your right. It is a green and white bus, destination Mafra, and appears to run roughly every hour. You can find a timetable on the mafrense website (http://www.mafrense.pt/).

You will know when you get to the museum because there is an aircraft preserved on your right hand side at the end of the road to the base & museum. From the stop it is 5 minutes brisk walk to the museum.

The museum itself has a varied collection of well preserved planes in two halls separated by a cafe area (unmanned when we were there, but with machines to get a drink and snack) and a doorway to the outside area where two of the larger exhibits are displayed.

The halls have plenty of windows so the exhibits are well lit, although the closeness of some, particularly the larger aircraft make photography difficult.

Aim to allow at least an hour for your visit.

Returning to Portela de Sintra it is not obvious what time the bus is at the museum stop, but if you look at the timetable, it will a few minutes after it leaves Facoa.

Visited February 2014
7 Thank Il76chaser

Heald Green
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great place.”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Some great exhibits beautifully restored and preserved, well worth 3 euro's.
Place was deserted only us there.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank KA501
Rockton, Pa
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice Air musuem:)”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I really enjoyed this museum a great deal. We took the train from Lisbon to sintra and asked at the travel desk at sintra's train station about the museum. The nice young explained how to get there a where it was but was a little off, but we got there. If you are going to sintra and want to see the museum you should get off at the port of sintra train station which is the first station in sintra you come to from Lisbon. You then look for the green and white buses. From there it is about 15 minute bus ride to the air base. The stop is right in front of the long road to the air base and museum. I am a very slow walker so it took me about 15 minutes to walk, but others who do not have a bad can do it faster. The museum is marked on the travel map the tourist office in Sintra gave us, but does not say what museum it is..The museum is really great and has a wonderful collection of planes and goes over some of their use of Portugal's wars in Africa in the 60's and 70's. We had the museum to ourselves and I loved walking around seeing all the planes and exhibits. There was a snack bar but it was not in use, but there was a couple of vending machines. Furthermore, there are even some planes outside which you can go walk around as well. For me I was happy to see the t-6g which is a favorite of mine with its wing mounted guns and the large black greyhound on the side. I also intended to see the other two Portuguese air museums but did not get chance too. I have heard they are nice as well as the one as the tiger striped fiat 91 I really wanted to see. Overall, I feel the museum is a must for any aviation enthusiast. The walk back to the bus stop was felt longer as the I had walked so much, but once there we only waited about 15 minutes before the bus came. the bus must run every 30 minutes or so. I forget the number, but it is green and white and just ask the bus driver. Even though I could not speak any Portuguese I just showed a photo of the air museum and he knew what we wanted.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank ak474me
Carcavelos, Portugal
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Flying machines”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Real life planes from the past. It is a brand new museum, and you can visit with a small fee. Plan two hours for a detailed visit. It is a little bit out of the traditional touristisc routes.

Visited January 2013
Sintra, Portugal
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Airplanes”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

It's inside a military base and if you like airplanes they have all relics from the portuguese Air Force and some recent planes. There isn't much to say about it. It's a bit far away from the town, but I think you can go there by bus.

Visited March 2012