“On the way down from Pena palace - a nice walk ~1+ hour; easy”
Review of Vila Sassetti

Vila Sassetti
Ranked #18 of 55 things to do in Sintra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 24 June 2017

As I wrote in my review of the Pena palace, we chose to come back to Sintra by walking down the "pedastrian Route" which starts not far from the palace, and goes down, via Vila Sassetti into Sintra.
In one of the pictures I attach to the Pena palace review (I can't seem to find a way to attach photos here... will look for it thereafter) , I have showed a scan of the map for the start of this walk (The pedestrian Route - you can get a map of it too), with explanation what we did and what one should do... (signage is not great...)
The whole walking path is nice, going through the woods, and then through the colorful and waterful gardens of the Vila - very nice and worth a visit; It took us a little over an hour; it has a few steps / stairs along the route, but still in my mind it is an easy walk (we went down... not up)

All reviews
"park"
"garden"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

So I passed through Merendas Park, the grounds of Vila Sassetti, on my climb up to Pena Palace and Park. The park itself was tranquil, an oasis away from the crowds of Pena Palace and the Moorish Castle. The grounds keeper saw me with my dachshund and didn't say a word. Just went about his work. As far as parks go, it's definitely worth a visit and it's free, unlike everything else in Sintra. Also the vistas are stunning.

1  Thank elkenwood
Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

The palace is not open yet, but you can take a stroll in the garden for free. There's a small brook that runs through the garden and a serpentine pathway to the top. A farmer's house on the midway has a small cafe and there are toilets too. The path to the view point is pretty easy, but you should not go in sandals. And prepare to get sweaty, it's somewhat steep at times. Also rock climbing is possible after you exit the garden and continue towards the view point. This is a real gem for budget travelers as there's no entrance fee.

Reviewed 9 October 2016

We started at Pena Castle, walked to the Castle of the Moors and as recommended by our guest house, took the Villa Sassetti Pedestrian Footpath down to Sintra. Not realizing that Villa Sassetti was a place, we were pleasantly surprised to happen upon a clean WC on the trail which it turns out was on the edge of the Villa Sassetti grounds. We continued to find beautiful gardens and grounds.While we didn't go into any buildings, we greatly enjoyed the end of our walk. While hiking boots aren't needed, I do not recommend walking down the trail in sandals.

3  Thank clf27
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 September 2016

Recently restored to its former glory Vila Sasseti used to be a summer house of the Sasseti family.
The main attraction are the fabulous gardens and walking tracks that lead from the tone of Sintra all the way up to the castle.
The tracks are fully restored and easy to follow with plenty of signage. No tourist crowds here going up and down.
It´s the perfect way to visit Sintra's treasures without the mess of tourists all around.

2  Thank Polskiman