Review Highlights
A Free Space in Sintra for a beautiful hike

It's a bit of a hike to Villa Sassetti, which one can continue up to the castle.The gardens are... read more

Reviewed yesterday
TheItalianTravelist
Barcelona, Spain
Nice surprise on the way down from Pena

Actually discovered it on our way down a trail from Pena. Views and garden area became a pleasant... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
HappyTraveller135

Recommended experiences in and around Sintra
from US$67.27
from US$57.38
from US$16.10
More Info
All reviews hiking trail moorish castle pena palace route moors grounds
Reviewed 9 November 2017

This is a great way to either go up or down the mountain to visit the castle or Pena Palace. It's an easy trail that takes more or less an hour and a half each way, if you're stopping to take lots of pictures as you should. It's a trail locals like to do also, as from kids we get used to go to the castle through these trails. Enjoy!

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We did not enter the Vila, but it is on the way up/down the hiking path to/from the Castle of the Moors and Pena Palace. It has a beautiful garden area that you walk through on the way to the hiking trails. Vila Sassetti has a uniquely beautiful style, and worth a stop. The grounds are a great resting point on the journey to/from the higher palaces.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank SarahAndTerry
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We didn't visit the villa itself, but took the footpath that goes through the grounds up to the Pena Palace and loved every step! The footpath is incredibly well designed to get you up the hillside without too much effort and the grounds and landscaping are so beautiful that you're distracted from the climb and reach the top before you know it (less than an hour from the main part of town)! The path was very well marked and easy to follow, and has restrooms and a snack bar along the way! Definitely a wonderful way to avoid the insane car traffic and reach the palace (or Moorish Castle) in a much happier state of mind!

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 24 June 2017

As I wrote in my review of the Pena palace, we chose to come back to Sintra by walking down the "pedastrian Route" which starts not far from the palace, and goes down, via Vila Sassetti into Sintra.
In one of the pictures I attach to the Pena palace review (I can't seem to find a way to attach photos here... will look for it thereafter) , I have showed a scan of the map for the start of this walk (The pedestrian Route - you can get a map of it too), with explanation what we did and what one should do... (signage is not great...)
The whole walking path is nice, going through the woods, and then through the colorful and waterful gardens of the Vila - very nice and worth a visit; It took us a little over an hour; it has a few steps / stairs along the route, but still in my mind it is an easy walk (we went down... not up)

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

So I passed through Merendas Park, the grounds of Vila Sassetti, on my climb up to Pena Palace and Park. The park itself was tranquil, an oasis away from the crowds of Pena Palace and the Moorish Castle. The grounds keeper saw me with my dachshund and didn't say a word. Just went about his work. As far as parks go, it's definitely worth a visit and it's free, unlike everything else in Sintra. Also the vistas are stunning.

Date of experience: May 2017