Returned from a stay at this hotel 2 days ago. Overall the week in the hotel was distinctly average, bored out of my mind and couldn't wait to get back home. I'll start with the negatives first. I don't know how Madeira hotels are given their star rating, but I have stayed in 5 star hotels around the world and this hotel should only rate as a 3 star. No way should it be 5 star. If you intend to stay in this hotel this season, be aware that there is a lot of building work being done at the hotel next door on the westside of this hotel. Wasn't informed about this by the travelzoo! The noise is very loud starting from about 0730 to 1800 daily. Our room was facing the hotel being renovated, but the staff changed us to the other side of the hotel without any fuss. This hotel is quite away from Funchal, which means you will have to either get a taxi or bus. However, was very disappointed by Funchal as there was little to see or do. The hotel mainly catered for the more mature traveller, but towards the end of the week families started to arrive and with very little entertainment for the kids, they resorted to running round the pool streaming and shouting, which added to the loud noise coming from the workmen at the hotel next door, who also found it entertaining to watch women around the pool area. There isn't a beach in the area, so the only entry to the sea is via rocks. The hotel room was very average. The only wifi access was in the communal areas near reception and the bar areas. Now the positives; the staff were very friendly and always eager to help. We stayed half board and all meals were buffet service. There was plenty of choice and the food was well cooked, but the choice became rather repedative towards the end of the week and very little spices used in the food. Breakfast was the best meal of the day. The hotel was kept very clean. The air conditioning worked well, but was a little noisy. I would recommend some of the island tours that are offered, we did the west island tour, which was great to get up into the mountains above the clouds. Wonderful scenery and an entertaining guide. This was the highlight of our stay. I'm in my 40's now, but won't bother going back till I'm in my 70's. Certainly not the sort of place to take kids.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Madeira is a modern and elegant five-star hotel with a contemporary design that will enhance the availability of quality accommodation options for both business and leisure travelers to Madeira Island. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and boasting magnificent sea views, the hotel is conveniently located a few meters of the sea, in close proximity to the small pebble beach, Gorgulho and offers direct access to the Oceanside promenade. The Resort offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, an indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. Elegantly-furnished rooms offer a balcony and cable TV. Some rooms of Meliã Madeira Mare include scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. Many of the hotel’s rooms also have a sitting area.Guests can relax in the jacuzzi and sauna at Meliã Madeira Mare’s spa. Massage treatments and a steam bath are also offered.Free parking is available. Madeira International Airport is a 25-minute drive away. Meliã Madeira Mare is a 5-minute walk from the center of the city.Meliã Madeira Mare’s restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and themed buffets for dinner. A la Carte menu is also available. The hotel’s pool bar provides refreshing beverages and light snacks for lunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Melia, TravelUp, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort And Spa
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel Funchal
- Sol Melia Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa Funchal