Just returned from a excellent stay at the Melia Madeira Mare from 9/12/09 to 12/12/09. After a smooth flight with Easyjet from Bristol we arrived at the hotel by taxi (€32). As an alterative, there is a airport aerobus which stops very close to the hotel for €5 per person, (outward journey is free for TAP Air Portugal passengers).
After a smooth check in we were allocated a room on the sixth floor (reception is level three) overlooking a outdoor terrace with the sea in the background. The room was a good size with all of the usual facilities you would expect in a five star hotel, including air conditioning, minibar, tea / coffee, safe, flat screen television and a small sitting area with desk and chair. The décor was extremely modern with excellent bedroom lighting, everything looked brand new and immaculate. Bathroom was a good size and like the bedroom was very modern and in excellent condition. There is also complimentary ice machines in the corridors leading to the rooms. Cleansiness in the room and hotel in general was excellent.
The reception is very spacious with lots of marble and a large Christmas tree with classy decorations. All of the staff were extremely friendly and polite without being over the top and too formal. When I asked reception a question about local Christmas events the knowledgeable receptionist quickly answered the question and gave me a print out of the exact details from the internet which was useful. There is also complimentary internet access in the library and the receptionist provided a password on arrival.
The hotel has a large heated outdoor pool with lots of sunbeds, terraces and seating areas. There is also a indoor pool with a sauna and Jacuzzi. The hotel seemed to be very quiet, possibly due to the time of year. The breakfast was fantastic, excellent selection in a very quiet and relaxing atmosphere. Also tried the evening buffet, €20 per person, had a excellent meal, could not fault any aspect. The chef personally came to the table during the meal to check we were happy with the food, a nice touch. Also ate in local restaurants, plenty of choice within walking distance from the hotel. Had a very good meal at the restaurant directly opposite the hotel. Also had a mediocre meal in a restaurant called Chanceler on the top road, under five minutes walk from the hotel, not recommended.
It takes approximately 30 minutes to walk into Funchal but there are plenty of local buses on the top road and the Carris hop on hop off bus also stops outside the hotel. Excellent value for money (€12 per person) which also includes a trip to Camara de Lobos. The weather was generally very good and mild for December with temperatures around 23C. If you have any questions, contact me and I will try to assist.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Madeira is a modern and elegant five-star hotel with a contemporary design that will enhance the availability of quality accommodation options for both business and leisure travelers to Madeira Island. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and boasting magnificent sea views, the hotel is conveniently located a few meters of the sea, in close proximity to the small pebble beach, Gorgulho and offers direct access to the Oceanside promenade. The Resort offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, an indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. Elegantly-furnished rooms offer a balcony and cable TV. Some rooms of Meliã Madeira Mare include scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. Many of the hotel’s rooms also have a sitting area.Guests can relax in the jacuzzi and sauna at Meliã Madeira Mare’s spa. Massage treatments and a steam bath are also offered.Free parking is available. Madeira International Airport is a 25-minute drive away. Meliã Madeira Mare is a 5-minute walk from the center of the city.Meliã Madeira Mare’s restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and themed buffets for dinner. A la Carte menu is also available. The hotel’s pool bar provides refreshing beverages and light snacks for lunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Melia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia and TravelUp so you can book your Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort And Spa
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel Funchal
- Sol Melia Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa Funchal