We stayed here for a week having carefully read reviews. Hotel were very helpful arranging a taxi transfer for us upon arrival, and we were checked into a room with a better view than we'd expected. We were helped to our room and shown how to work the lights etc, a source of much discussion on TA! It was fine, could be easier but its all a bit of fun. The blind did a very efficient job of keeping the room dark for sleeping. We did open it during the evening to do make up etc and the room was plenty light enough.
We would have liked tea and coffee making facilities which were not provided. But a kettle was brought to the room once we requested one and we bought coffee etc from the supermarket. But I would have expected all this to be provided in a 5* hotel. Fruit kebabs or plates of homemade sweets were brought to the room daily which was a nice touch though.
The bed was huge and very comfy and the room was well insulated from noise. The mini bar was complimentary for the contents provided which was good. If you wanted refills these needed to be paid for.
The supermarket in the shopping centre below was great for buying water and sandwiches for days out.
Breakfast wasn't always top quality. Scrambled egg always seemed to be empty, burners not always on keeping food hot and coffee often served in the teapots! For a tea hater the bitter taste of tea was obvious but after asking for fresh coffee it was just the same result.
We dined at UVA a couple of times and had drinks at the bar, both very good.
Getting a lounger by the pool wasn't always possible but the bar seating was comfy so we just used to wait there until a bed became free. The jacuzzi outdoors didn't seem to be working when we were there which was a shame.
We used the spa once just for the steam room (very, very hot!) and jacuzzi (not that warm), but it was very quiet and relaxing down there.
Overall the appearance of the hotel is quite spectacular, but maybe more focus is needed on the small things that could make it top quality. But it is in an ideal location close to many good restaurants, cafe's, gardens and tourists attractions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel with soul, just like a good wine. The Vine is sophisticated and luxurious. With a touch of simplicity and discretion, just the way you like it. A dip in the panoramic pool, a vino-therapy session in the spa or a gourmet dinner with a view over the city: these are just a few of the pleasures awaiting you at The Vine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Expedia, HostelWorld, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Hotels.com, TravelUp, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Vine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Vine, a Divine Hotel Hotel Funchal
- Vine a Divine Funchal
- The Vine Hotel Madeira/Funchal