We arranged to stay at the Vine Hotel through an agent. It is a very modern hotel which has won a design award. There are many, many positives about the hotel and one, very minor, flaw.
The hotel is spacious, quiet, very comfortable and extremely well located on the western edge of Funchal making it a short walk from Funchal Old Town and all the major attractions, restaurants and sights. The main entrance is shared with a small shopping mall but this created no difficulties and it was handy to have the supermarket close at hand for minor purchases.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
The food was of a very high quality - breakfast was sumptuous with cold buffet and cooked breakfast available. Eating breakfast outside in the shady courtyard with freshly squeezed orange juice and decent coffee was a daily joy. The main restaurant UVA on the roof terrace was of international standard, moving away from "traditional" Portugese dishes available in many restaurants in the Old Town but reflecting local traditions - we ate two dinners and one lunch there. The wine list focussed entirely on Portugese wines.
The rooftop terrace pool and bar with views out to sea and across Funchal was a great spot to relax and soak up the sun or to enjoy a pre or post dinner drink. On some evenings a jazz guitarist played for us.
The Spa was good - not entirely sure of the benefit that the "wine bath" was to provide but it was fun and the post bath massage excellent.
The only, minor, downside to our stay of 7 days was that we found the design of our room challenging.
It was spacious with a huge bed, a bath at the foot of the bed; it was no doubt modern, progressive and award winning but it left something to be desired in terms of functionality / practicality. The lighting was controlled by 4 touch sensitive pads (two at bedside, one at entrance and one on the wall) - we never really mastered these.
The separate shower room / wet room led immediately onto the main bedroom but combination the highly polished floor and wet feet was dangerous.
The separate WC was behind the bed in a obscured glass cubicle - not exactly private.
The mirror behind the wash basin was distant and, combined with very bright down lights, meant that it was almost impossible for me to see to shave or for my wife to put on her make up.
However, despite these design issues we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and have no hesitation in recommending the Vine Hotel to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel with soul, just like a good wine. The Vine is sophisticated and luxurious. With a touch of simplicity and discretion, just the way you like it. A dip in the panoramic pool, a vino-therapy session in the spa or a gourmet dinner with a view over the city: these are just a few of the pleasures awaiting you at The Vine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), HostelWorld, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, Cancelon, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Vine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Vine, a Divine Hotel Hotel Funchal
- Vine a Divine Funchal
- The Vine Hotel Madeira/Funchal