I recently stayed at The Vine in Funchal for 7 nights with my partner.
The location is excellent, you are right in the heart of the Marina area, literally two minutes' walk from the marina and restaurant areas, no need for taxis.
(Most of the other 5 star hotels are in an area called the "Lido", which is a good 5-10 min bus/taxi ride from the city centre).
The facilities are excellent however we were advised that due to maintenance, the rooftop jacuzzi and spa is unavailable until Nov 2010. The pool is good for a leisurely dip rather than a swim due to its dimensions, or for cooling off from the sun and heat of the day.
The rooftop bar has friendly staff, is well designed, with great decor and moderately priced but the rooftop restaurant "UVA" is expensive, the prices put myself and my partner off somewhat when there are enough restaurants elsewhere to accommodate us.We could not fault the substantial breakfast though, all hand-made by the hotel, cereals, fruit,yoghurts,cheeses,bread,sweet pastries and warm food also, with first class staff who are only too happy to make sure your stay is a pleasurable one.
The only (very) minor 'faults' (i use the term loosely) i found were in the design of furniture in the bedrooms. closets and drawers with pencil-thin handles that looked good but did not assist in opening them. We also had a problem with the air con. we could not alter the temp-it was set at 20 degrees, and all we seemed able to do was turn the fan off/on.
This meant that we had to sleep with the window open most nights...and due to the location you get the sound of the city drifting in at unhelpful times.
Of course this is not down to the staff, so to criticise them i realise is unfair.I will just have to mark The Vine 99, not 100!
I would recommend it to all, however it may well appeal to the younger age groups simply through its design and decor.
Be warned, the taxi drivers in Funchal we used were not aware of where the hotel is unless you tell them the name of the shopping precinct, Dolce Vita!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel with soul, just like a good wine. The Vine is sophisticated and luxurious. With a touch of simplicity and discretion, just the way you like it. A dip in the panoramic pool, a vino-therapy session in the spa or a gourmet dinner with a view over the city: these are just a few of the pleasures awaiting you at The Vine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Vine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Vine, a Divine Hotel Hotel Funchal
- Vine a Divine Funchal
- The Vine Hotel Madeira/Funchal