“One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in!”
Review of The Vine Hotel

The Vine Hotel
Ranked #16 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 25 October 2010

The hotel is stunning, the roof top bar is excellent, with service and views to match. If you are looking for bustling nightlife Funchal would not be ideal, but if you want a very relaxing holiday, with great service, in a luxury hotel then we would recommend The Vine to anyone. It would be particularly good for a long weekend break (if you're from Europe).

The food at the restaurants, in the town, is aimed at the older crowd (70+) and nearly all restaurants have the same menu. However, we ordered lunch at the poolside of the hotel nearly every day, and it was always excellent. We also ate at the hotel restaurant which we can highly recommend. The hotel spa is also amazing - we did the couples option which was just what we needed.

We can not understand why people would write a negative review about this hotel. We had a brilliant time and would return tomorrow if we had the chance, and there weren't 1,000 other places on our list that we still need to visit!

Reviewed 19 October 2010

Due to my job I am obliged to travel all around the world and spend about half of the year living in hotels.I came to stay at The Vine Hotel in September since a friend recomended it to me for a relaxing Holliday. I came with my boyfriend and we absolutely loved it!
we found the welcoming and the treatment over the days extremely nice and very attentive!
the room was beautifully romantic and very quiet which was perfect since we needed to sleep and rest.it also helped a lot the amazing treatments the Spa offers!
since we love to eat and drink and try different gastronomic food we found the restaurant Uva on the last floor extremely good, worth of its star michelin and not expensive for the well we ate!!!!!!on top with tha amazing view of Funchal!!!!!!
talking about food, the breakfast buffet was delicious, we could find absolutely everything that a breakfast should have and more....all very fresh specially the bread and the fruits and very tasty. Again the good treatment made us feel like stars!!!!!!!
we also wanted to get a bit of sun tan, so the swimming pool which we found very fashionable since its wine colour, and the confortable beds on the last floor made it even better!!!!!!!!
basicly it was hard to leave the hotel, we were just perfect!!!!!!!
i recomend it to anyone!!!!!!you will love it!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

I spent a few days in the beautiful island of Madeira with my partner last month and we found exactly what we were looking for, a quiet romantic destination. We had seen all the positive reviews the hotel had collected but all of our expectations were surpassed. This hotel is located right in the heart of Funchal, the island's only city which is a beautiful natural amphitheater. We were able to walk everywhere and I believe most of the other nice hotels are situated to the west of the city and you will need a taxi to visit the Funchal. The Vine has a very friendly staff who are not only super professional but also always looking forward to help their guests. The spa was incredibly relaxing and enjoyable with great products to offer. The pool is absolutely stunning with a gorgeous view over the city of Funchal, and the rooms are spacious with great taste and also very quiet. The whole hotel is designed to the maximum detail and decorated in great style. We were a bit concern if the island would be able to provide us with a great quality restaurant and we found that right at The Vine. The restaurant "Uva" was the highlight of our trip where we ate on our very first night only due to a tiring long trip but ended up having most of our meals at Uva where once again the service was flawless and the meals absolutely spot on. We are both quite particular when it comes to restaurants and I have to say that Uva is definitely deserving of at least one Michelin Star. From the bread to the main courses and stunning desserts it does not give you the feeling of a restaurant but rather an experience, and an experience to be repeated. I would recommend The Vine to everyone but especially if you are looking for a quiet relaxing time. I have stayed in many other great hotels but never this affordable for such great quality. It's a must see!

Reviewed 12 October 2010

The Vine is NOT a 5 star hotel. 4 stars possibly. It is a high-tech "trendy" hotel, but trendy usually means that there is a trendy crowd there. There is no crowd there. It is a very empty hotel. The rooftop bar that should be packed had 6 people there. The bar service was poor. The drink selection was poor. They couldnt even make a cosmopolitan. One night i went up to the roof around midnight and it was pitch black , all lights off and closed. It was kind of scary. The hallways are very very dark, the elevator is dimly lit; The rooms are very dark; The color of the rooms are trendy black and charcoal, I guess from an aesthetic point of view it had good design, but functionally it was terrible. they have windows in the room that you think is a mirror but its a window. you have to try to figure out how to open the closets , which there are two small closets and no dresser. draw space is minimal. Trying to figure out the hi-tek lites is a challenge, everytime is like trial and error. Very offen you open the window shades while attempting to trun certain lights on. The air conditioning didnt work well at all , it always said window open--which automatically shuts the system. There was no window open, the maintenance crew couldnt figure it out. the bathroom had no a/c vents so it was sweaty hot in there. In general the hotel was very hi-tek, dark and empty. The staff was minimal. Possibly a bellman at the entrance if you are lucky. The entrance is the mall entrance. As other reviewers have noted, taxis do not know where this hotel is, you have to say Dolce Vita Mall. The maid service was horrible. They do not clean. We lost a few items in the room and we eventually found one on the floor days later and one in the bed days later. a gum wrapper remained in the same place on the floor for days. They failed to give us shampoo after the first fill. The towels were inferior quality. The room service was not good. We ordered ice for champagne and they brought enough ice to have a glass of soda. Of course they came back with a big bucket after I complained. The room service dinner was the most expensive meal we had in Madeira. It was also the worst meal. One dish ordered was fish in a mushroom cream sauce, they brought a piece of steamed fish, no sauce no seasoning. HORRIBLE> when asked about the sauce as it stated on the menu , they said we dont have any today. Upon checking out I comented on the poor room clenaing and poor room service and malfunctioning airconditioning , they said sorry. No discount nothing.
The positives were , the bed was ocmfortable, they were very nice to send a bottle of champagne complimentary for my girlfriend's birthday and a little cake.I thank them for that. The staff was respectful and nice people . Their restaurant recommedations were good. As weird as it sounds , the location in a mall turned out to be convenient, as I needed to buy a few items and the mall is open late.
The bakery next door to the hotel called Opan is great, absolutely terrific. I had breakfast there every day, good cup of latte or as the Madeirans call it "Chinaisa"/ fresh pastries , sandwiches etc. I highly recommend the bakery . Also all the cabs are parked outside the bakery.
The hotel recommended a restaurant a 20 minute drive away , for Espitada bbq, it was excellent. I recommend taking a tour of the island by taxi and go at your own pace. The island is beautiful. Bring Euros with you , none of the banks in Madeira will change your nomey unless you have an account with them. The 5 star hotel doesnt change money, ive never stayed at a 5 star hotel that didnt cash money. The Vine is special that way. Oh yeah, they tell you when you book that you get a free massage, they do not remind you about that. So we never got the massage. The pictures of the rooftop are better than it is in reality.
Other recommendations are go to Monte and the tropical gardens there. Take a tobagan ride. Eat at O boqeuro for seafood, Eat at Londres, The food is inexpensive and excellent. Skip Uva, it's absurd to spend that amount of money in a restaurant with no customers , so the food probably is not fresh, when there are great places to eat in madeira at very very reasonable prices. Grilled sardines are a must. The open bus to the nearby fishing town where Churchill painted is a good day trip.
Locals say the Pestano hotel is good. The Reid's is nice and definitely 5 star, but very quiet , and the high tea can be better, the food quality is mediocre at best. The new Savoy will be amazing acoording to locals. Be wary of the deals at the market . buy your Madeira Wine at Blandy's its at least half the price of the Market. the cable car ride is fun.
To sum up, the Vine needs to step it up a notch. get the AC working , get more light in the rooms and in the halls. Check on the quality of the maid service. improve the furniture and by the way that bath tub with cover is ridiculous. And the shower door doesnt close so expect water on the floor. , The makeup mirror is not functi0nal in the dark, After leaving madeira we stayed at the Lapa Palace in Lisbon , that is a real 5 star first class hotel.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lastresortname
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I recently stayed at The Vine in Funchal for 7 nights with my partner.
The location is excellent, you are right in the heart of the Marina area, literally two minutes' walk from the marina and restaurant areas, no need for taxis.
(Most of the other 5 star hotels are in an area called the "Lido", which is a good 5-10 min bus/taxi ride from the city centre).
The facilities are excellent however we were advised that due to maintenance, the rooftop jacuzzi and spa is unavailable until Nov 2010. The pool is good for a leisurely dip rather than a swim due to its dimensions, or for cooling off from the sun and heat of the day.
The rooftop bar has friendly staff, is well designed, with great decor and moderately priced but the rooftop restaurant "UVA" is expensive, the prices put myself and my partner off somewhat when there are enough restaurants elsewhere to accommodate us.We could not fault the substantial breakfast though, all hand-made by the hotel, cereals, fruit,yoghurts,cheeses,bread,sweet pastries and warm food also, with first class staff who are only too happy to make sure your stay is a pleasurable one.
The only (very) minor 'faults' (i use the term loosely) i found were in the design of furniture in the bedrooms. closets and drawers with pencil-thin handles that looked good but did not assist in opening them. We also had a problem with the air con. we could not alter the temp-it was set at 20 degrees, and all we seemed able to do was turn the fan off/on.
This meant that we had to sleep with the window open most nights...and due to the location you get the sound of the city drifting in at unhelpful times.
Of course this is not down to the staff, so to criticise them i realise is unfair.I will just have to mark The Vine 99, not 100!
I would recommend it to all, however it may well appeal to the younger age groups simply through its design and decor.
Be warned, the taxi drivers in Funchal we used were not aware of where the hotel is unless you tell them the name of the shopping precinct, Dolce Vita!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mike1973Lancs_UK
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I cannot say enough good things about the Vine Hotel. We stayed for 12 nights and in all that time cannot find anything negative to say. The staff were all superb, from the chamber maids, doormen, receptionists, restaurant and bar staff. I have never met such helpful, friendly people anywhere and we would thank them all for making our stay so wonderful. The location is also brilliant, being on the border of the old and new town, so within easy reach of all areas. The roof top pool and bar is a perfect place to relax and the view from their at night it stunning, seeing all the twinkling lights across the town and surounding hills. Would recommend this hotel to everyone!

2  Thank CarolineRJ
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I searched and found the perfect hotel for complete relaxation. Madeira was not in my mind, but when I saw the hotel on the internet and read the reviews I decided to give it a try - and I'm glad I did. It's the most relaxing holiday I've had in years. And the reason? The Vine! I stayed there for seven nights, a jounior suite at the winter (4th) floor and it was, as they promise, a devine experience! The design of the hotel is organized aorund vine - and it's carried out to the smallest detail. At the same time it captures important Portugese charactersitics, like the pebbles, and the material that are used exquisite. It is a pure pleasure to go to bed in the evening, lay down in an always perfectly made bed and let the soft Egyptian cotton of the bedding surround your body. It's also a pleasure to wake up, take a shower or a bath before going down to breakfast (or order it to your room) where an always welcoming staff attend to your needs in a professional and discrete way.

The rooftop with its pool, jacuzzi, sunbeds and 360 bar is a great place to chill out during the day, it's a really realxing environment, a quiet place with astonishing view and excellent service. It's also a great place for having an aperitif before dining at the UVA or a coffee after dinner. I dined at the UVA twice, and especially the first time when I had the tasting menue with the reccommended wines was a great experience. The second time, the first course was a bit overflavoured to my taste, but all in all a very good experience. It is truley a gourmet restaurant, but as most restaurants there is room for improvements regarding the combinations of flavours in some of the dishes. All the wines, except the champagnes of course, are from Portugal. If you are not so familiar with Portugese wine the sommeliers help you make excellent choices, the desert wine that was reccommended with the peaches was a heavenly combination I'll never forget. Considereing the quality of the food, the wine, the combination of tastes and the service, the prices are reasonable. I strongly reccommend to try it out, and do reserve a table because UVA is becoming quite popular. If you want to try out other restaurants in Funchal and the surrounding area, the staff at the UVA as well as the reception will give you excellent advices tailord to your whishes - the best way to avoid the worst turist traps that you'll also find in Funchal.

At the spa I had a very good masage and an excellent facial. The staff is welcoming, professional, discrete and very helpful. Since I'm allergic, and very sensitive to smells, I found some of the scents a bit strong to my taste. However I informed the staff, so they used relatively neutral products in my treatments.

For me the location was excellent - allthough I only left the hotel on four occations - two for dining out and two for exploring the town. I'm probably a very lazy tourist, but I was at The Vine to wind down - and I did. When you get in to the rythm of things at The Vine, the relaxing athmosphere, the pleasent environment where things are in perfect balance regarding shapes, sounds, colours, tastes, even smells. And no stress - not from the staff, not from the other guests - how can you not relax?

The service was excellent all around. The staff is really outstanding - there when you need them, attentive but not importunate, always friendly and helpful - a six star staff in a truely five star hotel.

I had a wonderful time at The Vine, and I will definitely be going back - as soon as I can.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo