“very good”

Ranked #28 of 31 Funchal B&B and Inns
Funchal
“very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

very nice staff. Situated in the middle of the town center. Clean rooms. At the reception they gave good advise for several activities to do. We did some very nice walks (levadas) and learned to know madeira

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Luis Gerardo L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

The best thing about Residencial Chafariz is its location. It could not be more central. It is also pretty cheap. The room was large and had French doors opening out onto a side road just off a square with a pretty fountain.
However it was very noisy and as there was no air-conditioning, sleeping with the French doors shut was just not an option. The room did not feel squeaky clean either and the quality of the reception staff was variable.
But a reasonable budget option if noise is not an issue for you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LuxinLondon
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed here twice during our stay in Madeira as it was a great base in Funchal. It can be difficult to find as the booking websites have it listed as "Do Chafariz" but the name is "Residencial Chafariz".

During our first stay we were put in the next door sister property "Residencial da Queimada de Baixo" which also had a small kitchen facility, although we still got our breakfast on the top floor of Chafariz - which has a great view! For our second stay we stayed in a blue room in Chafariz and this was of slightly more modern design.

Breakfast is good but basic and would be better with fresh orange juice instead of cordial. The only complaint we had though was the lack of air conditioning or a ceiling fan in either place as, due to the city centre location, it is quite noisy to have the windows open at night.

We found the receptionists to be friendly and very helpful (particularly when booking hire cars) and they didn't try to lock us in!

Room Tip: Pick a colour you like (different on different floors) and ask for one not facing on to the street i...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank KM1976
Espoo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

The receptionists almost got us in trouble because of their mistake. They accused that we had only paid for three nights though we had paid for four. We even had four receipts but they didn't believe us because some of the receptionists had lost their half of one of the receipts. A man receptionist locked my friend inside the hotel and wouldn't let her check out without paying extra for one night's rate until my friend really got angry. Luckily she didn't pay more than we were supposed to. Terrible ending to a nice stay in a nice hotel with a perfect location and clean rooms. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank kaisav
Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

What a wonderfull litle residencial! Staff are really helpfull and friendly, and the rooms are really clean and confortable.There is a continental breakfast included on the price of the room, wich makes this place a real BARGAIN. The residencial itself is in the middle of Funchal, in a great area sorrounded by lovely restaurants. Also, the bus stations are "two steps away". I stayed a week and loved it. ...Going back again this year!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
8 Thank SilviaJersey
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2010

I stayed in this hotel for a week over New Year. Overall I thought it was a good budget hotel. It's in a great location - very near to the centre of town, but in a fairly quiet side street. Funchal's not that big a place and this hotel is within walking distance of virtually all points of interest - the centre, the old town, the marina...I used my guidebook to go to different restaurants across town for dinner every evening, and none of them was more than about 15 minutes walk from the hotel.
As for the hotel: All the staff I encountered were friendly and spoke reasonable English, and my room was clean and comfortable. I had booked a single room, but the bed was actually about halfway between a single and a double. There was an ensuite with a good, powerful shower (no bath though) and a TV with a few English channels. I paid 40 euros a night, which, all things considered, I thought was very reasonable.
OK, now for a few minor niggles. The TV was suspended on a bracket right up near the ceiling, so I had to crane my neck back on the bed to see it. The breakfast is rather basic - just a few rolls and a couple of slices of ham and cheese - but I think that's a general continental thing rather than peculiar to this hotel, they just don't seem to treat breakfast as a big deal! The only problems with noise I encountered were that there's a local marching band who quite often like to play in the square just round the corner. It's quite charming at first, but the novelty wore off a bit after a few days! Still, they never played early in the morning or late at night.
One final very important thing - they don't accept credit cards! I had automatically assumed that, as 99% of places do these days, that they would, and I only found out that they didn't when I came to check out and showed them my Visa. I then had to dash out to the cashpoint (fortunately there's one just round the corner) and take out a large wadge of Euros.
To sum up, though, I thought this was a very nice budget hotel in a great location. I really enjoyed my stay in Madeira - the scenery is lovely, the food and drink are good and the people are very friendly.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank Chris2783
Viseu, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2009

Very clean and with really nice bed. big bath tub. only the breakfast was poor. in city center, in front of Sé. really low price. no noise. kind staff people.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends