Having wanted to visit Madeira for some time I finally stumped up just before Christmas last year.
I wanted to stay in a good hotel and so chose the pestana promenade.
The hotel is located a good thirty to fourty minute walk from the town centre.
Or you can catch the bus and do the journey in 15 minutes.
I stayed on a breakfast only basis, the breakfasts being quite good-however there was little or no variation to the choices over the week.
The staff in the mornings were cheerful and friendly.
The hotel facilities include a lovely outdoor pool set in fabulous gardens, good outdoor areas to take a drink and admire the views over to the uninhabited islands.
There is an indoor pool with a gym and sauna/steam room.
There is a coastal path to the rear of the pool area that heads to funchal if you go left. This way there are some cafe's and a supermarket.
If you turn right, there is a one hour walk to a village that Winstone Churchill used to visit and paint.
Overall I enjoyed my stay-I went with Jet 2. This was the first time I had travelled with them-but I can highly recommend them. The cabin crew were excellent and friendly-generous luggage allowance and whisked off to the hotel in a minibus with half a dozen or so fellow travellers.
No waiting on a coach for two hours as is often the case with Thomas Cook...
The evening meals in the hotel are rather expensive so I would book half board or eat out every night.
I can recommend this hotel for its cleanliness, views, pool and gardens and the two friendly ladies who served out breakfast.
The weather in December-was sunny/cloudy most days with one lovely day of unbroken sunshine-I came back with a tan and it was nice to see the Christmas decorations up at the airport-hotel and in Madeira.
I would like to visit madeira again....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in front of the spectacular promenade that stretches from Lido to Praia Formosa Beach,this modern and quiet resort offers spectacular views to the ocean. 92% Of the rooms are sea views and offer the commodity you would expect from a luxury hotel in a relaxed manner.112 Family Friendly Rooms and Suites, all equipped with bathtub with shower, and some with separate bathtub and shower, washbasin, WC, hairdryer, air conditioning, telephone, Cable TV, Pay TV, LCD monitor, digital safety box, Business Services is available, cable or wireless Internet access, mini-refrigerator and balcony or terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel Madeira/Funchal