Had a lovely two week stay at the Pestana Promenade last month.
This is a well designed, physically attractive hotel, where it's position on a steep slope down to the promenade has been used to great to advantage.........but It takes some time for many guests to realise that the "ground floor "/ reception area is actually on on the 5th floor! ).
Hard to recommend any particular rooms, as there are multiple types of rooms and positions within the complex, whether designated basic or superior. Some of the very best rooms are not available, as they are timeshares. Although all the rooms have a sea view we personally prefer the pool / seaview views, rather than the side / sea rooms which face a not so attractive adjacent "5 star" hotel.
Although the hotel is quite a way out of Funchal town centre there are plenty of shops round about and it's only a short walk to the Forum Shopping centre, which has a good selection of shops / cafes and restaurants. If you don't fancy the 15 / 20 minute walk into Funchal, there are always taxis outside the hotel and since the recent opening of a new road system, there is a bus stop, right outside the hotel, with regular services. Also the "Yellow Bus" stops there........it's the open top sightseeing bus, if you fancy a tour round the town, plus a bus providing a regular service to the airport.
If you enjoy walking this is just the place for you. The promenade is a pedestrianised walkway sited between the area's hotels and the sea. It goes for several miles, following the contour of the land and has plenty of steep ups and downs and includes a tunnel cut through a cliff.
There are no sandy beaches anywhere nearby, only concrete pads and rocks.
However the hotel has several swimming pools, which seem to be adequately sized for the number of guests staying there. One external pool is heated, as is the inside pool.
As with many hotel pool areas the sunbeds are not great and many sag when you sit / lie on them. They really need replacing. Bad backs will get worse! You "can't reserve sunbeds", of course, but, as ever, many are towelled by breakfast time! ........and not just by the usual Germans!
At least the rule, about not hanging towels / clothes over the balconies, seems to be enforced
( or the guests here are especially well-behaved! ).
Finally, the breakfasts were good and the majority of staff very helpful and if items ran out they would get the chefs to supply more.
We used the "evening meal deal" each week, in the buffet restaurant. The "deal" supplied six dinners for 120 euros each. At 20 euros ( £17 approx ) per night, for a reasonable choice of soups, salads, meal, fish and desserts, we thought that it was good value. The other two nights we went out to eat at a local restaurant.
All in all it was an enjoyable stay and we would recommend this hotel..............now if only the shower temperature didn't fluctuate wildly it would get 5 stars!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in front of the spectacular promenade that stretches from Lido to Praia Formosa Beach,this modern and quiet resort offers spectacular views to the ocean. 92% Of the rooms are sea views and offer the commodity you would expect from a luxury hotel in a relaxed manner.112 Family Friendly Rooms and Suites, all equipped with bathtub with shower, and some with separate bathtub and shower, washbasin, WC, hairdryer, air conditioning, telephone, Cable TV, Pay TV, LCD monitor, digital safety box, Business Services is available, cable or wireless Internet access, mini-refrigerator and balcony or terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel Madeira/Funchal