My wife and I recently returned from 10 days staying in Funchal at the Pestana Promenade Hotel. We had not visited Madeira before but after reading reviews on this site we opted for this hotel and were generally pleased with our choice. On the Plus side, the Hotel is very modern and sits in a very nice position with good views of the sea and with pleasant walks along the promenade. It is about a 35 minute walk into the centre of Funchal although there is a very frequent bus service with stops right outside the hotel (€2.20 per person per journey) and there were also taxis sitting outside the hotel which we used on a couple of occasions which only cost €5. We were half board and the food was excellent but we found local restaurants were plentiful and very reasonably priced so we may opt for B and B only next time. There were plenty of eateries within 5 minutes walk and a cheap supermarket. There was an empty fridge in our room but no kettle or espresso machine which we have had in similar quality hotels elsewhere. We had a superior room on the top floor with superb sea views and a nice private terrace with table and chairs. The room was large and airy with a large bathroom. The bed was king sized and very comfortable. We liked the 3 pools and the heated indoor pool and large jacuzzi but there were quite a few children there most of whom were well behaved but with the odd badly behaved one!!! Balls being kicked about!
We loved Funchal and visited many times both day and evening and there is plenty to see and do with lots of bars, shops and restaurants. We took the cable car to the Tropical Gardens and spent a very enjoyable day there.
When staying around the hotel we never had a problem finding two sun beds but they were in need of replacement and also the towels were rather thin and worn. There is a very helpful Pool attendant who would move parasols for guests etc
We would certainly go back to Madeira and would consider this hotel although one slightly nearer to Funchal centre would be nice .
There are a lot of time sharers at this hotel with their own apartments which often meant that the dining room was nice and quiet. We were invited to a short presentation from a time share representative who was not at all pushy and we got free drinks and an invitation to a longer session at another Pestana Hotel in the resort but we passed on this.
All in all a very enjoyable holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Promenade is a 4-star hotel in Funchal, Madeira and is one of the newest and most sophisticated contemporary hotels in Funchal. It is 2 minutes on foot from the beach and near Lido with direct access to the promenade that stretches all the way to Praia Formosa. Take a stroll through the vast garden area and discover one of the largest swimming pools of all of the hotels on Madeira. Visit the Spa with indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, whirlpool bath, sauna, Turkish bath and gym. It offers two restaurants and a bar. Most rooms offer a relaxing view of the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Pestana Promenade reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort
- Pestana Promenade Madeira/Funchal