“Absolutely Outstanding Shellfish and Fish”

Marisqueira O Barqueiro
Ranked #132 of 721 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 30 October 2016

We tried this restaurant for the first time this year and enjoyed it so much that we went back a second time later in the week.

There is plenty to choose from on a quite extensive menu but the first night I had Swordfish and my wife had grilled prawns. You get a fair amount of vegetables and salad too for the price of the meal. I can honestly say I have never seen such a large piece of swordfish in my life unless it was still swimming. Fish is not something that usually defeats me to eat but this was enormous and a joy to eat, really nice and soft as well as full of flavour. It was a big meal but I enjoyed it.
The place gets quite full so I would recommend booking.
The staff there are really very good indeed. most welcoming and helpful.
The meal was just under 60 euros for the two of us including wine and it was well worth it. We enjoyed the meal so much we went back for the last night of our holiday and on that occasion we decided to go for one of their platters and we enjoyed that every bit as much too.

Reviewed 28 October 2016

It's quite a few years since we had used this restaurant so we thought we would give it a try.

There is a very good display of fish on the way in and you're able to select either a whole one of a fillet. My wife had Scabbard Fish with all the Madeira trimmings, I had a Parrot fish fillet.

The fish is very good, where this place lets itself down is in the vegetables and other "free" stuff. There is just too much and it overwhelms the table; it's not a meal or a banquet - it's just plain gluttony.

Apart from the fish everything is all way over cooked and had obviously been sitting waiting to be served for some while as our meal arrived far too quickly.

The staff are very attentive and it's clearly popular as it gets busy; it's just the vegetables and other accompaniments that let it down. Will we go back next year? Probably not, there are much better restaurants along the promenade towards town.

Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

I was recommended by a colleague. We like fish but prefer meat, but after this visit I love fish. We had a share meal of two, it was so good and food for 4. Share dish plus a good wine was affordable 80 euros.

Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

The food is lovely. Very fresh fish and seafood. The staff are really nice and they looked after us very well. I strongly recommend this place.

Reviewed 25 October 2016

It is best to enter this restaurant if you have not had breakfast and are starving.. For instance the cover charge includes a bowl of soup as soon as you sit down, followed by a basket of garlic bread and two small fishcakes. So before you even look at the menu you are feeling full. We had been before so decided to order one fish dish which we shared. Even that was enormous with a plate full of esparda fish in a light batter with garlic sauce, with a platter of mixed fresh vegetables, and two enormous pieces of potato.. Could not look a dessert in the eye after all this. The food is very good indeed and well presented, but so much of it, order one dish and share unless you have a enormous appetite.