“How hotels should be!”

Belmond Reid's Palace
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff, the deluxe room very well appointed with fabulous view of the ocean. Swimming pool pleasant with lovely restaurant attached. The lunchtime buffet was particularly good.
Could not fault it. Cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed: October 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,530)

Reviewed 24 October 2013

My wife and I spent a week at Reids for my wife`s birthday....it is a hotel we will always remember for it`s splendour, lavishness , luxury, amazing staff and being treated as only Reids can. It`s not cheap but if you can afford it it`s money well spent for the experience. Each and every staff member were so attentive, polite and willing we felt like celebs. nothing was too much and every request was granted. My wife received Champagne on ice and lovley flowers on her birthday and the Villa Cipriani restaurant in the grounds gave her a specially made cake....so thoughtful....got to save up and get back there again!!!!

Room Tip: If you are celebrating anything, book Reids they will make it very special......
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We only stayed one night in a 'charming' room - lovely old fashioned luxurious surroundings, garden, various pools and sea access/sun area on rocks, good breakfast etc, but we had two technological problems in the room connected to its high temperature and lack of wifi. The air conditioning set-up by chamber maid that evening was none existant: too hot and couldn't be adjusted down, while the bathroom towel rail was set to full heat throughout the night (which we managed to switch off), and had under floor heating. We ended up opening the balcony doors at about 3 am. Worst night's sleep of ten hotels stayed at in Madeira this holiday! We were given internet access instructions on being shown to the room originally which failed to produce wifi, complained and given further instructions which again wouldn't work. Next morning on check out our two complaints were not really met with apologies but more as a thank you for drawing our attention to them. We wonder whether anything was actually remedied for the next guests?

2  Thank smallportions
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just returned from 3 night stay and had a great time. Food was wonderful. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms are well kept and clean. Sent dry cleaning out and they had it back to me in under 1 hours time! Pool and spa are wonderful. Would recommend staying here.
Wonderful sea views from almost every room. Beautiful gardens located within the property.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mylah99
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Having been here for the second time I truly recommend this hotel. The old world feeling, lavish breakfast and afternoon tea, impeccable service and location makes this a place to come back to.

Slight minus is the cocktail bar which IMHO they have to redecorate. The fake starship ceiling is simply ridiculous.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lehuster
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The following review is based on the "pros" and "cons" structure which I find most helpful for travelers, contemplating a choice of hotel. We stayed at Reid's Palace for a full week in mid-october.

Pros:

1. Location - Great and unbeatable in Funchal. Not only does this hotel have amazingly stunning views over the ocean and the bay, but also the mountain hill views of the city and cruise ship dock, breathtaking by day and lovely and heartwarming by night. Most of the rooms enjoy at least partial ocean view which is a very big plus. The hotel itself is located in the so-called "hotel district", however, the old town can be reached within 20 minutes' walk, which me and my husband found quite refreshing for our dinner nights out.
2. Service - As numerously mentioned by previous visitors, the hotel staff is most attentive and unobtrusive at the same time - a perfect balance me and my husband found unique (and we have both been to several prime class establishments). For example, on day of our arrival, a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine was brought to our room - we mentioned that we were on honeymoon to the receptionist when checking in. It was indeed a very pleasant way to start our holiday - especially considering the fact that it was "on-the-spot" gesture of the hotel and it was quite late (we checked in after 11 pm). Also, mid-stay, our concierge overheard my husband singing "happy birthday" to me and shortly I received another bottle of chilled sparkling wine with exquisite bouquet of Madeira flowers and a card with compliments and warm wishes from the management. This indeed made us feel very special and appreciated. Not to mention the regular "mail" from management, offering various invitations to receptions, daily agendas, etc., left by cleaning ladies on our nightstands. I could go on and on about the impeccable service at mealtimes, the attentiveness and general helpfulness of other staff (including beach/pool attendants), but I believe it shall not fit into a comprehensive list therefore I abandon the further development of the subject. I shall just say that by this review I wish to wholeheartedly thank each and every member of the hotel's staff for making our stay there a memorable experience and providing me and my husband with an experience of the best possible honeymoon we could have imagined.
3. Cleanness - the hotel premises (including the rooms) are kept impeccably clean. Not a single stain or crack can be seen on the walls, both interior and exterior. For me personally it was a great indicator of the care and diligence of the hotel management, who takes a great effort to maintain the premises in a way they are.
4. Food - We stayed on a "bed and breakfast" basis, therefore I cannot say much of other meals, but breakfast was indeed one of the best I have ever encountered, especially due to the choice of fresh tropical fruit. Also, a daily regular and "suggestion" choice of eggs, prepared individually, was a pleasant complimentary part of the buffet. A great unexpected advantage - soft drinks and water from the minibar were complimentary!
5. Premises - the hotel is one of the few that has direct access to the ocean, which is a very big advantage for Funchal (there is no beach - the ocean hits cliffs and rocks). Moreover, I can say that it is the best ocean access there is in Funchal - we have examined other hotels and found Reid's to be the best in this regard. The number of sunbeds may be limited, however, they are most cosily distributed on various levels, offering privacy and spectacular views. The ocean bathing is also very comfortable due to natural little bay where the water is crystal clear and calm. The wonderful gardens of the hotel are also worth mentioning.
6. Ambience - the fact that the hotel itself is a historical place contributes much to the general spirit of just being there. The concept of "a colonial establishment" is hanging in the air and the staff is cultivating it, which me and my husband found to be amazing, as hotels generally tend to be "faceless" and "universally acceptable". Reid's has a strong aura of uniqueness that grows on you, despite your age. We kept remembering some scenes from books read and imagining possible scenarios of events that unfolded in the beautifully set hallways of the hotel (ranging from romance to murder-mysteries), which turned to be quite entertaining.
7. Other various stuff - extremely comfortable hotel bathrobes and slippers, a safe (free of charge), size of a bathtub (perfect for 2), etc.

Cons (only one we could find):
1. Age range - if you are below 40 and/or are looking for a place to be entertained, this is not a place for you. The hotel is mainly occupied by elderly couples in their golden years and occasional families. There is even no background music at the pools or ocean access level. This was not an issue for me and my husband, as we were looking for a chance to "get away from it all", however, meeting a couple of people our age to later share memories of the trip would have been nice.

Overall, the experience has been remarkable and I would definitely recommend this hotel to almost anyone looking for an enjoyable and relaxing holiday.

5  Thank Ekoterine
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have stayed at Reid's Palace for one week in the mid of September with a friend of mine.
And we both simply fell in love not only with beautiful Madeira but with this hotel too.
I myself work in hotel business and due to my profession I probably more than others critical and demanding when it comes to hotel and its services. As usual, unwillingly, I was looking for what was "wrong" in that place, but...couldn't find anything. It was just perfect! The room was specious and spotlessly clean. The beds are very comfortable, mattress, linen, pillow - everything was to my taste. The balcony with breath-taking view on the ocean was a great plus too.
The breakfast was great, with wide choice and very fresh. We've tried all three restaurants in this hotel and everywhere the food was just great!
The building of the hotel itself with its long history (it's been a hotel for over 100, as I remember) and beautiful garden that surrounds it are really special.
And of course, the most important thing when it comes to hotels - service... The service at Reid's palace is truly 5 star experience! Hotel staff is not only friendly but extremely attentive to every guest need. And the General Manager of the hotel comes to breakfast every morning and talks to each guest...that is something you rarely see in hotels and that makes you feel really welcomed and taken care for.
If I ever be back to Madeira (which I hope so) I'd definitely choose Reid's Palace again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends