We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago and had a great experience.
The location is great, with ocean stretching to the horizon before your eyes. The gardens are beautiful with lots of spots to enjoy sunshine. Sun deck is very private and nice. Swimming pool area is very stylish and beautiful. There were a lot of families with kids that weekend, but kids were kept occupied, we never heard any crying or noise, even at the swimmig pool.
Only small trouble we had was with the hotel's reception staff being not familiar with the LHW membership card. My husband has an unlimited LHW membership that we booked the hotel through. However it seemed that the hotel reception staff didn't seem to actually know what that means. They did upgrade us as part of the LHW membership, but didn't take into account our request to have sea view. So on arrival we had to change rooms. Little painful, but the room we got in the end was absolutely gorgeous, so was well worth the trouble! Then, on the chek out day as well, they tried to make us leave early when we do have a guaranteed late check out with the card. You'd expect the reception staff to research that, since we went to all the trouble pointing out card benefits at check in..
Ther rest of the weekend was flawless. Staff is very professional and non invasive.
We pretty much spent the weekend between the sea deck, the swimming pool and the food. One of the swimming pools is heated, so was very nice even in late October. We didn't venture into the ocean though!
The rooms are beautifully furnished and the whole hotel is excellently kept, with lots of memory pieces in the hallways, cute elevators, luxurious carpets. Service is 5-star too. I was feeling a bit sick one evening and they went out and bought us medication, which we've never previously seen in any 5-star hotel we've been to, they always make a big fuss out of it. But here nothing was too much trouble, it was great.
Breakfast was very good, with two daily specials that change every day, an exhaustive buffet with sparkling wine and fresh juices, and amazing views of the ocean.
We had dinenr in the French restaurant and weren't particularly impressed. Service and the ambience were a bit too old fashioned for my taste. Food was good though, but not excellent.
We also had dinner at the Italian restaurant, which was very nice. The view is amazing. Service is very friendly and professional and the food is very good. Definitely recommend. It's not very formal, so you woulnd't necessarily wear an evening dress (contrary to what the dress code suggests).
Lunch buffet at the swimming pool is very very good as well, although too expensive I'd say for a lunch buffet.
One thing we regret is that we didn't try the afternoon tea, it looked delicious!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Belmond Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal